OT: Washington Football Team 2021 Post-Season Thread 1: NFC East Champs! Wut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The team tried the give up multiple high draft picks to secure a franchise QB with Griffin and it was an utter failure. That’s why I am hesitant. That, and the team has built a pretty solid core up front on defense. So with continued use of draft picks to fill out the defense the team could win on a consistent basis with a “game manager” at QB.
I definitely understand the hesitation but I think this is such a bad way to look at things. "I did thing A once and it didn't work so I should never do thing A again..." come on. Does that mean if you buy a stock and it goes down you never invest money again? I am confident in assuming that you don't live your life like that. And for the record, in my opinion 2012 was the best year this franchise has had in 30 years so I disagree it was an utter failure.

Also, just so we're clear, everything we've tried to do to acquire a QB has been a failure. We've tried drafting high in the first round, tried drafting later in the first round, tried trading for veteran QBs with a track record of success elsewhere, tried slow-cooking mid or late round draft picks, tried signing young free agents, tried signing vet free agents... and none of it's worked. I mean, just look at this nauseating list.

Know what we haven't done yet? Tried trading for a young, bonafide star QB. I want them to go big because if you're going to fail, go down giving it your best shot. It's why I wanted Heinicke to start over Alex in the playoffs. Go down swinging if you must but at least try.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I know we keep talking about not having a young QB to dangle to the Texans but that only matters if they want what you have. I think it's way more likely Houston takes Fields or Wilson if they trade with the Jets or Dolphins and tell those teams to offload their current QBs elsewhere, which could make Darnold and Tua available at a discounted price.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Payne + 2 1sts + 2nd+4th....
Would do this in a heartbeat. Matt "King Leonidis" Ioannidis (5th round pick, btw) was playing better than Payne and they're not going to be able to pay all of the DL in a few years anyway. And with Watson those future 1sts are likely in the 20s. And that's another consideration... people keep saying we're young and we have this window that's just opening so we shouldn't mortgage our future but it closes quickly. Look at Seattle -- they had a historically good defense but that only lasted a few years and the only reason they are not complete garbage now is because Russ is a superstar. The rest of that team except for a few players is total ass.

It's so much harder to keep a complete roster in tact in the salary cap era than it is to have a great QB keeping you afloat. Finding that QB isn't easy, though, which is why guys like Watson never get traded.

I'm still in the pay Dak a billion dollars camp since he won't cost draft picks but I think Dallas will tag him again if they can't come to a long-term agreement.

Reactions: EroCaps

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
You do realize that Deshaun Watson has simply proven to be better player than RG3 and the Rams still have Jared Goff, right? You do realize that the final 4 in the NFL features Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers and Allen? You do realize that in the last 4 years WFT has started Cousins, Smith, Johnson, Allen, Heineken, McCoy and Mark Freaking Sanchez?

4 years ... Need I go on to the previous 30?

So, yeah, they trade three ones, or more, for a very good QB with a huge contract and have no draft picks or money to fill out the offense, defense and resign very good players that they drafted when their rookie deals are up. What could go wrong?

Adding a player like Watson without a foundation in place before hand is a recipe for disaster.

I will say swinging for the fences to trade for Watson is a Snyder type move. Funny how some want the Snyder move but will then bash Snyder when it doesn’t work out. At least I am consistent. :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
There is more risk in starting duds and retreads at QB while we have that DL under contract.

You guys saw the Packers/Rams game, right? In this day and age the team with the better QB beats the team with the better D 9 out of 10 times.

Let’s say it’s 3 firsts for Watson. After that all you need to do is sign a FA WR and resign Scherff and the dishes are done for the off-season. Instead of 3 firsts over the next 3 years we’d have Watson and a Godwin type right away. We’d still have Chase Young and all those first rounders on the defensive line. We’d have a tremendous opportunity to have the best offense AND the best D in our division. We’d honestly be in position to make the playoffs the old fashioned way: by having a winning record and deserving to be there...

It genuinely boggles the mind that so many of you are against this...

Aaron Donald was injured heading into that game and didn’t finish that game due to injury. His absence was noticeable and contributed to the outcome.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I definitely understand the hesitation but I think this is such a bad way to look at things. "I did thing A once and it didn't work so I should never do thing A again..." come on. Does that mean if you buy a stock and it goes down you never invest money again? I am confident in assuming that you don't live your life like that. And for the record, in my opinion 2012 was the best year this franchise has had in 30 years so I disagree it was an utter failure.

Also, just so we're clear, everything we've tried to do to acquire a QB has been a failure. We've tried drafting high in the first round, tried drafting later in the first round, tried trading for veteran QBs with a track record of success elsewhere, tried slow-cooking mid or late round draft picks, tried signing young free agents, tried signing vet free agents... and none of it's worked. I mean, just look at this nauseating list.

Know what we haven't done yet? Tried trading for a young, bonafide star QB. I want them to go big because if you're going to fail, go down giving it your best shot. It's why I wanted Heinicke to start over Alex in the playoffs. Go down swinging if you must but at least try.

My hesitation is the loss of draft picks when it appears we finally have people in charge who actually want to rebuild the f***ing team the right way. That’s what blows my mind with some of you demanding this happen. High priced FAs and big trades year after year have kept this team in the shitter for 20 years. Yeah, I’m tired of it.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
True. However our new GM’s track record is that he really only “hits” well with said first round picks (and does hit well, from the record)
He hits well with later round picks as well. Jeremy Chin being one example. At the time I only looked at his first round record. Hurney does pretty good in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->