OT: Washington Football Team 2021 Post-Season Thread 1: NFC East Champs! Wut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
like that time when you told me assumptions I was making when clearly I wasn’t...got it.

we’ll see what the price ends up being. Only 2 teams have 2 firsts this year (that would be in on this), Miami and the Jets. Jets might be desperate enough, Miami I’m not so sure.
You clearly stated — in response to my post — that “some of you don’t want a legit star power QB”. Those were your words brother. Not mine. Yet you attributed them to me.

The other part is I have consistently stated I would give up 2 1sts as well as lesser assets for Watson, which is seemingly the same for you. So I honestly don’t understand why my posts on the topic are met with those types of remarks from you.

you want Watson, but at 50cents on the dollar. Well, so do I. But he won’t come at the cost you advocate, he’s going to be far more expensive, from all I’ve read. If he’s traded at all. He may be 125 cents on the dollar.

PS — please don’t be defensive. You are making broadbrush comments that aren’t exactly beneficial to some of us. No need for them.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You clearly stated — in response to my post — that “some of you don’t want a legit star power QB”. Those were your words brother. Not mine. Yet you attributed them to me.

The other part is I have consistently stated I would give up 2 1sts as well as lesser assets for Watson, which is seemingly the same for you. So I honestly don’t understand why my posts on the topic are met with those types of remarks from you.

you want Watson, but at 50cents on the dollar. Well, so do I. But he won’t come at the cost you advocate, he’s going to be far more expensive, from all I’ve read. If he’s traded at all. He may be 125 cents on the dollar.

PS — please don’t be defensive. You are making broadbrush comments that aren’t exactly beneficial to some of us. No need for them.

I see, you simply misinterpreted my response (because i
I didn’t quote you, I simply made one remark about your “offers”). I’m no wallflower, if I wanted to address you directly in that post I would have. Honest mistake on your part, moving on then.

I want Watson at a fair price. Only 2 desperate teams have the draft capital to pay the highest price. We’ll see what that ends up being, but if it’s less than 3 1st for him going to someone else, I’ll be annoyed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
The Watson price will be three firsts+. The Dolphins may give up Tua plus both of their firsts this year and then some. We don’t have any where near the ammunition to win that battle.

And it’ll be worth it for whoever pays it. He’s one of the best QBs in the league and 25 years old... I can’t recall any comparable situation where a QB of his caliber was traded at a comparable age.

I’d trade three firsts for him without thinking twice. Would you trade Haskins, Sweat, and Payne for Watson? The answer is 100% yes. I’d trade Sweat, Payne, and Allen too if you want to remove Haskins from the equation. The draft is important and not having firsts isn’t fun but if it solved the QB position it’s a no brainer. Nobody cared about the RGIII price when he was lighting the world on fire... and the Rams didn’t do shit with those picks anyway. The Texans would be crazy to trade him.

I honestly don’t understand WFT people who wouldn’t pony up the picks for this guy. We haven’t had great QB play since a few years of Mark Rypien in the late 80s-early 90s. I mean, yeeeeeesh, can we plug the most important position in sports for the love of freaking God?

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I honestly don’t understand WFT people who wouldn’t pony up the picks for this guy. We haven’t had great QB play since a few years of Mark Rypien in the late 80s-early 90s. I mean, yeeeeeesh, can we plug the most important position in sports for the love of freaking God?
I also think people forget there are rounds outside of the first round. Our best interior DL until he got hurt this year was a 5th round pick. Terry: 3rd round, Gibson: 3rd round, Fuller: 3rd, Kurl: 7th, Moses: 3rd, Holcomb: 5th, Logan Thomas: UDFA, Darby: 2nd, etc. Yes, draft picks are important and first round picks are worth their weight in gold but this team was very close to beating Tom Brady and the Bucs with Heinicke at QB. I think they would have mashed the Saints with a washed Brees at QB. Give them great QB play and the other holes aren’t as important, especially with the D already as good as it is.

Sep 19, 2008
The problem is the price tag is way too high.

1. Washington doesn't have the assets Jets or Miami have

2. Dealing for him would cripple this team's ability to retain talent i.e. Scherff. Where would the money come from to keep him?

3. Dealing for him would impair this team's ability to draft good talent as the picks would be given up

4. Dealing for him would not give the WFT money for signing additional FA

If 2,3,and 4 are not big deals at all and they have plenty of money to buy a new WR then fine

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
The team tried the give up multiple high draft picks to secure a franchise QB with Griffin and it was an utter failure. That’s why I am hesitant. That, and the team has built a pretty solid core up front on defense. So with continued use of draft picks to fill out the defense the team could win on a consistent basis with a “game manager” at QB.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Because it's risk vs reward and opportunity cost calculation. We all understand the high price and potential reward but the risk is severe when putting that much team capital into one position, especially considering:

1) Watson has had serious injury in the past
2) We just went through multiple seasons of QBs going down

Unfortunately cost is going to factor into this situation until we can be reasonably sure we can keep the QB upright and healthy.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The team tried the give up multiple high draft picks to secure a franchise QB with Griffin and it was an utter failure. That’s why I am hesitant. That, and the team has built a pretty solid core up front on defense. So with continued use of draft picks to fill out the defense the team could win on a consistent basis with a “game manager” at QB.
This.

and we can’t with one side of our mouth say “hey, we dont need first round picks!”....

and then with the other side of our mouth say “hey, Hurney is good as he has picked a TON of pro bowlers with his first round picks! It’s ok he’s been bad in the later rounds!”...

cant have both of those.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007

You do realize that Deshaun Watson has simply proven to be better player than RG3 and the Rams still have Jared Goff, right? You do realize that the final 4 in the NFL features Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers and Allen? You do realize that in the last 4 years WFT has started Cousins, Smith, Johnson, Allen, Heineken, McCoy and Mark Freaking Sanchez?

4 years ... Need I go on to the previous 30?

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I also think people forget there are rounds outside of the first round. Our best interior DL until he got hurt this year was a 5th round pick. Terry: 3rd round, Gibson: 3rd round, Fuller: 3rd, Kurl: 7th, Moses: 3rd, Holcomb: 5th, Logan Thomas: UDFA, Darby: 2nd, etc. Yes, draft picks are important and first round picks are worth their weight in gold but this team was very close to beating Tom Brady and the Bucs with Heinicke at QB. I think they would have mashed the Saints with a washed Brees at QB. Give them great QB play and the other holes aren’t as important, especially with the D already as good as it is.
True. However our new GM’s track record is that he really only “hits” well with said first round picks (and does hit well, from the record)

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Because it's risk vs reward and opportunity cost calculation. We all understand the high price and potential reward but the risk is severe when putting that much team capital into one position, especially considering:

1) Watson has had serious injury in the past
2) We just went through multiple seasons of QBs going down

Unfortunately cost is going to factor into this situation until we can be reasonably sure we can keep the QB upright and healthy.

There is more risk in starting duds and retreads at QB while we have that DL under contract.

You guys saw the Packers/Rams game, right? In this day and age the team with the better QB beats the team with the better D 9 out of 10 times.

Let’s say it’s 3 firsts for Watson. After that all you need to do is sign a FA WR and resign Scherff and the dishes are done for the off-season. Instead of 3 firsts over the next 3 years we’d have Watson and a Godwin type right away. We’d still have Chase Young and all those first rounders on the defensive line. We’d have a tremendous opportunity to have the best offense AND the best D in our division. We’d honestly be in position to make the playoffs the old fashioned way: by having a winning record and deserving to be there...

It genuinely boggles the mind that so many of you are against this...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There is more risk in starting duds and retreads at QB while we have that DL under contract.

You guys saw the Packers/Rams game, right? In this day and age the team with the better QB beats the team with the better D 9 out of 10 times.

Let’s say it’s 3 firsts for Watson. After that all you need to do is sign a FA WR and resign Scherff and the dishes are done for the off-season. Instead of 3 firsts over the next 3 years we’d have Watson and a Godwin type right away. We’d still have Chase Young and all those first rounders on the defensive line. We’d have a tremendous opportunity to have the best offense AND the best D in our division. We’d honestly be in position to make the playoffs the old fashioned way: by having a winning record and deserving to be there...

It genuinely boggles the mind that so many of you are against this...

I didn't say I was against it, you said you didn't understand the objections to paying a high price for Watson. I'm undecided on the move.

Either way, as I said it's a huge risk and you have to protect the QB better as a team before you can be sure the investment is going to pay off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad