OT: Washington Football Team 2021 Post-Season Thread 1: NFC East Champs! Wut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Your assuming a lot as well. That he isn’t a yes man and that he was the most qualified candidate. His track record (Hurney’s) is not what I would consider sterling, and his name didn’t come up in any of the other GM openings out there (and there we what- 5 or 6 of them this off-season?). It certainly appears as though he was hired due to who he knew, not what he knew.

I made no assumptions in my statement thanks, I simply called out yours.

I suspect the relationship with RR is very important in this decision.

I DO assume Snyder is still a controlling dick behind the scenes, that meddles, and that a unified and strong front between the GM & HC is very important here.

Last edited:

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
You’re assuming a lot, that he’s a yes man, and he’s not the best fit/qualified.

This is what I suspect. The GM and HC work better as a unified front to ownership, and nowhere more than here with Snyder is that more important.

Unless the qualifications are good friends with the coach and long working history together then no, he's not the best qualified. There's no objective way to show his tenure in Carolina, especially his most recent one, merits this job in terms of what he did to put together a solid product on the field. None.

Now if he's here to help provide guidance to Kyle and support to Ron and to be another layer of protection between the football people and The Dan then this could be fine. If he's part of a plan to add more brains and adults to the front office so Ron can focus more on coaching and less on the other stuff then it could be fine. But if he is here because Ron thinks he's the guy to help continue leading the construction of this roster and that he's better qualified to do so than some other names out there internally or externally then it's a terrible decision and not at all justifiable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
RR calls the shots. So the GM job isn’t that big a deal, IMO. Still, the hand wringing over this considering what RR did this year is odd.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I made no assumptions in my statement thanks, I simply called out yours.

I suspect the relationship with RR is very important in this decision.

I DO assume Snyder is still a controlling dick behind the scenes, that meddles, and that a unified and strong front between the GM & HC is very important here.
Well, it’s easy to call out people assumptions when you don’t make any yourself.

you don’t seem to be bothered by the hire. I am. So I guess there is that.

like I said, where was his name with all of the other GM openings? We had no competition for him. That in and of itself is a red flag.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
RR calls the shots. So the GM job isn’t that big a deal, IMO. Still, the hand wringing over this considering what RR did this year is odd.
Ah come on. We aren’t very far removed from bad decision after bad decision for the DC Football Team. It’s going to take more than one 7-9 season to change that, isn’t it?

many of us have said we trust RR. However this “choice” certainly is open to questioning as it reeks of cronyism, and the “choice” was squarely in the middle of all that went wrong in Carolina. Maybe it wasn’t his fault, but he was certainly a big part of that program when it went south.

so much so that RR lost his job. He was fired, after all.

Reactions: Corby78

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Yeah, I know. I mentioned previously that I'm hoping Hurney is there as a football ops and advisor type and they leave the player personnel to other people... because if he's involved heavily in player selection or the draft process it's a really shit outcome. I will refrain from chicken littling until I hear how the FO will be broken down and what's going on with Kyle Smith but I reserve the right to go full torches and pitchforks if it's Hurney and Rivera with total control over the roster.

I read somewhere that RR spent a lot of time doing non football related stuff this year, like managing coronavirus protocols, and these are things he wants to hand off to the GM. If there is a chance that the GM title is more business, contracts and non football ops, and Ron and Kyle maintain their 1-2 player decision hierarchy, then I'm fine with this.

This is where we need some really good reporting because the dynamic inside Ashburn is hard to know exactly now under RR... except that possibly there is no longer peep holes in the ladies showers?

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
I read somewhere that RR spent a lot of time doing non football related stuff this year, like managing coronavirus protocols, and these are things he wants to hand off to the GM. If there is a chance that the GM title is more business, contracts and non football ops, and Ron and Kyle maintain their 1-2 player decision hierarchy, then I'm fine with this.

This is where we need some really good reporting because the dynamic inside Ashburn is hard to know exactly now under RR... except that possibly there is no longer peep holes in the ladies showers?

I thought there were forcing the women to share the mens showers? So I guess the bold is progress?

Reactions: kicksavedave

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Ah come on. We aren’t very far removed from bad decision after bad decision for the DC Football Team. It’s going to take more than one 7-9 season to change that, isn’t it?

many of us have said we trust RR. However this “choice” certainly is open to questioning as it reeks of cronyism, and the “choice” was squarely in the middle of all that went wrong in Carolina. Maybe it wasn’t his fault, but he was certainly a big part of that program when it went south.

so much so that RR lost his job. He was fired, after all.

Sure things went south for RR and Hurney in Carolina but their run together has been more successful then anything that has taken place in DC in the same time frame. And doing a quick look at 1st round picks Hurney has made as a GM, he picks pro bowlers. So what’s wrong with that?

Also, I didn’t know he got his start in the NFL with the Redskins and he was assistant GM to Bobby Bethard for 7 years in San Diego. The guy has been around and he learned from a GM that did some pretty good things for the Redskins in the 80s. So, yeah, I still don’t get the hate for this hire. This is not a Vinny Cerrato or Jim Zorn situation.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I thought there were forcing the women to share the mens showers? So I guess the bold is progress?

:laugh:

I mean they literally had a glass staircase for looking up dresses, so peep holes isn't that inaccurate.

How the entire NFL isn't just ready to throw Snyder out on his ass, its just sad. They can't all be worried about "what if they discover my skeletons", can they?

Reactions: Ridley Simon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Unless the qualifications are good friends with the coach and long working history together then no, he's not the best qualified. There's no objective way to show his tenure in Carolina, especially his most recent one, merits this job in terms of what he did to put together a solid product on the field. None.

Now if he's here to help provide guidance to Kyle and support to Ron and to be another layer of protection between the football people and The Dan then this could be fine. If he's part of a plan to add more brains and adults to the front office so Ron can focus more on coaching and less on the other stuff then it could be fine. But if he is here because Ron thinks he's the guy to help continue leading the construction of this roster and that he's better qualified to do so than some other names out there internally or externally then it's a terrible decision and not at all justifiable.

you really can’t make that determination from the outside looking in, with no vision into the interviews or how responsibilities will be assigned.

I think you guys are just assuming the worst possible angle, but at least you’ve identified exactly what could also be happening along more positive organizational path in your post above.

If it comes out that suddenly this guy is THE GUY making the roster and draft decisions, then your fears would be real IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well, it’s easy to call out people assumptions when you don’t make any yourself.

you don’t seem to be bothered by the hire. I am. So I guess there is that.

like I said, where was his name with all of the other GM openings? We had no competition for him. That in and of itself is a red flag.

I’m more of a wait and see type.

I trust RR so far.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
So what's the over/under on Cam Newton landing in Washington this off season? Might as well bring the whole band back together. It seems that's what Rivera is doing.....

Screw that. With the situation between Watson and the Texans, it's looking more and more likely that he'll be playing on a new team next season..imagine if washington was able to pull that one off. Although preferably without giving up an RG3 type of return of a million first round picks

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Screw that. With the situation between Watson and the Texans, it's looking more and more likely that he'll be playing on a new team next season..imagine if washington was able to pull that one off. Although preferably without giving up an RG3 type of return of a million first round picks
The trade scenarios in the Athletic were out and out ransoms.

As an example, they had Niners giving up Garappolo (we don’t have), Nick Bosa (so Chase Young), their 12th OA (we don’t have), and a 2022 1st if the Niners made the playoffs, 2nd if not (we have).

so....what is our equivalent to that?

Lions were another one. Stafford, 7OA, and 2022 1st & 2nd

Falcons? 4OA, 22 1st and 2nd, 23 1st (if make playoffs, if not, 2nd)

Dolphins? Tua, 3OA, 22 1st, 23 1st or 2nd (same playoff caveat)

Jets? Darnold, 2OA & 21 3rd, 22 1st & 4th, 23 1st. Jets do have 2 1sts in 22, and would be highest of the 2 (theirs and Seahawks).

I just can’t see the DC club coming close to any of those. Nor would I want them to

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Those are mostly fantasy offers...only the ones with a young QB are honestly in play IMO and the 3 1sts and players is the pie in the sky return.

if it’s not less than 3 1sts I move on, but damn it seems like some of you don’t want a legit star power QB lol...

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Those are mostly fantasy offers...only the ones with a young QB are honestly in play IMO and the 3 1sts and players is the pie in the sky return.

if it’s not less than 3 1sts I move on, but damn it seems like some of you don’t want a legit star power QB lol...
It’s going to be 3 firsts. Minimum I’d wager.

saying some of us don’t want a star QB is silly and a total mischaracterization of what many of us are saying.

I personally don’t want to completely mortgage the future for one player who isn’t named Mahomes. Period end. We did it for RG3 and got ONE good season. Wasn’t even great. Had it been a Super Bowl? Sure. But it wasn’t.

Someone will pay 3 1sts. Easily. I don’t want it to be the team I root for.

other can feel differently, but please don’t put words in our mouths to try and make your own point. It’s not factual.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Watson price will be three firsts+. The Dolphins may give up Tua plus both of their firsts this year and then some. We don’t have any where near the ammunition to win that battle.

And it’ll be worth it for whoever pays it. He’s one of the best QBs in the league and 25 years old... I can’t recall any comparable situation where a QB of his caliber was traded at a comparable age.

I’d trade three firsts for him without thinking twice. Would you trade Haskins, Sweat, and Payne for Watson? The answer is 100% yes. I’d trade Sweat, Payne, and Allen too if you want to remove Haskins from the equation. The draft is important and not having firsts isn’t fun but if it solved the QB position it’s a no brainer. Nobody cared about the RGIII price when he was lighting the world on fire... and the Rams didn’t do shit with those picks anyway. The Texans would be crazy to trade him.

Reactions: Bananas

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
I guess I just don’t put him at that level. Is he a top 5 QB right now? I don’t think so.

Mahomes, Jackson, Rodgers and Wilson are all definitely better. Prescott was too, IMO, but now injuries.

We then have guys like Allen and Murray who are in Watson’s orbit. Im also not mentioning Brady simply due to age.

what if he’s Wentz 2.0? Was awesome and now?

the other factor people seem to be missing is you can get a Watson type QB without having the top 1-2 picks. The top 5 I just mentioned (plus Watson) were are drafted 10th OA or worse. All of them. Murray is the only guy drafted really high. Allen was what — 7th?

we are panicking here due to the last few decades of crap. Good reason, but still.

missing out w Haskins only exacerbates the risk as it’s another 1st gone missing.

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002

Another team looking for a QB.

More signs I think pointing to status quo and/or day 2 QB being drafted. Wouldn’t also discount a Bridgewater type when all the dust settles on these teams in the top 10 making moves for their QB.

Smith, Allen, Heinicke and draftee. That’s my guess for now. Bolster the O-line further in rd 1, add top WR thru FA, see what shakes out for LB and DB with roster cuts and rest of draft.

Would be a solid plan and probably NFC East Division winner, IMO.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It’s going to be 3 firsts. Minimum I’d wager.

saying some of us don’t want a star QB is silly and a total mischaracterization of what many of us are saying.

I personally don’t want to completely mortgage the future for one player who isn’t named Mahomes. Period end. We did it for RG3 and got ONE good season. Wasn’t even great. Had it been a Super Bowl? Sure. But it wasn’t.

Someone will pay 3 1sts. Easily. I don’t want it to be the team I root for.

other can feel differently, but please don’t put words in our mouths to try and make your own point. It’s
not factual.

like that time when you told me assumptions I was making when clearly I wasn’t...got it.

we’ll see what the price ends up being. Only 2 teams have 2 firsts this year (that would be in on this), Miami and the Jets. Jets might be desperate enough, Miami I’m not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->