OT: Washington Football Team 2021 Offseason Thread 2: Roster Roulette

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
WFT needs a better passing game more than better receivers from the look of these stats.

NFL Team Leaders - % First Downs | NBCSports

NFL Football Stats - NFL Team Pass Attempts per Game on TeamRankings.com

24th in red zone receptions
24th in receiving yards
26th in receiving 1st downs
28th in passer rating
29th in receiving TDs
31st in yards/catch
Last in the league in %first downs/reception

10th in receptions
8th in pass attempts per game
7th in YAC for WRs
5th best in passes dropped

So what do we make of a team that doesn't drop the ball much, has great YAC for WRs, throws a lot, but still can't throw for 1st downs or in the red zone?

That passer rating stat might tell the tale. It's QB play and/or OC management.

Get the QB. Don't worry so much about the WR position.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I’ve been burned by waaaaaay too many 1st round WFT WR picks....

Unless he’s a 100% no brainer, pass in the 1st for me on WR.

Lets see: Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Rod Gardner, Josh Doctson. Hurraaalllph! Dreadful record! Throw in a handful of 2nd/3rd rounders who busted also if we want.

Gotta go back to Art Monk in 1980 for the last one we hit on.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Lets see: Desmond Howard, Michael Westbrook, Rod Gardner, Josh Doctson. Hurraaalllph! Dreadful record! Throw in a handful of 2nd/3rd rounders who busted also if we want.

Dont forget the year we used 2 2nds on WR and both busted hard.

Howard won a super bowl MVP just not for us

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
upload_2021-3-12_15-51-50.jpeg

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
Crowder and Terry are the only WRs we’ve hit on in the last decade. Unless I’m forgetting someone

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
My personal in-favorite is the 3 headed monster of Devin Thomas, Sleepy Davis and Malcolm Kelly taken in the 2nd round.
No-Doze had a few solid years right? Think he hit 800 yards or so once and maybe 5 TDs? He was really talented, just couldn't keep himself on the field either through injuries or making poor choices.

Edit: He had 59 receptions for 786 yards and 3 TDs in 2011 which was the high-water mark for his career.

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
The WR in this class are crazy, just watching YouTube videos on some of them. Bateman, Wallace, Toney, Moore. They should be realistic at 19

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

I was trying to recall all of them yesterday, and had forgotten Howard. But arrived at the same conclusion re: Monk.
McLaurin at 3rd was a both a relative steal (league-wide draft content) and a historical steal (from a franchise perspective.)

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
No-Doze had a few solid years right? Think he hit 800 yards or so once and maybe 5 TDs? He was really talented, just couldn't keep himself on the field either through injuries or making poor choices.

Edit: He had 59 receptions for 786 yards and 3 TDs in 2011 which was the high-water mark for his career.
Vinny's Finest Moment.
I still hate that m*****f*****.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
I really hope the draft doesn't unfold this way. I don't think any of those picks are terrible, but I'd rather see D in the first round than WR.
I also think there will be more decent FA options at reasonable prices at WR than there will be at LB or S.
If we can fill WR there and the board breaks the way it does in this mock, I'd rather see Moehrig at #19 than Bateman.
ETA: But I guess that's at least half the fun of mocks this far out from the draft.

I want Jones with Theo pick in the first. I have absolutely no faith in Heinicke and Allen. I want a legitimate quarterback, even if it's a first year player. If they're resting their hopes on a one game winner and a player who will throw more check passes than Alex Smith because he has a weaker arm, then they're going to be sorely disappointed. Besides, this is the year to go after WRs in free agency and draft all your positional needs in the draft. The WR market is actually very decent this year.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Sitting here sipping on a beverage and I still for the life of me cannot understand why you would pay a guard $18M for one season unless you think he's the difference between contending and not contending for the Super Bowl this year.

(Narrator's voice: And they are not contenders for the Super Bowl this year.)

While I agree with you, lets not forget that they were able to hang with Tom Brady and the bucs who after playing Washington just basically steamrolled everyone.

Other point is (to me at least) it signals that they are going to be spending big dollars this off-season (whether they make right choices who knows)

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Sitting here sipping on a beverage and I still for the life of me cannot understand why you would pay a guard $18M for one season unless you think he's the difference between contending and not contending for the Super Bowl this year.

(Narrator's voice: And they are not contenders for the Super Bowl this year.)
its a low risk move to keep him 1 more season. I dont see him signing here after this tag

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
While I agree with you, lets not forget that they were able to hang with Tom Brady and the bucs who after playing Washington just basically steamrolled everyone.

Other point is (to me at least) it signals that they are going to be spending big dollars this off-season (whether they make right choices who knows)
Any team can beat any team one time but it’s a whole different animal to win a Super Bowl. You could also flip it and say Heinicke played better than Brady and they still lost, so there’s a lot of work to be done on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->