OT: Washington Football Team: 2021 Draft and Post-Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I said we should draft Lamar at the time and was literally laughed out of the thread.

I wonder how many Daron Paynes it would take to get him now?

#Bananas4GM

Reactions: max21

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Translation: We thought if Lance slipped a little we might consider trading up for him but once he was gone at 3, we said eh, we'll stick where we are and see if the other two fall to 19.

I guess I'm OK with that, I didn't love any of the three (behind the top 2) so much that I thought we should trade up for them.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Am I the only one somewhat incredulous on Lance being picked as high as he was?

I mean, I get that the guy has skill. But when the toughest team he faced in college was James Madison, I just don't get him as a first rounder, much less #3.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

I mean, I get that the guy has skill. But when the toughest team he faced in college was James Madison, I just don't get him as a first rounder, much less #3.

Nope, I thought it was a massive leap of faith also... He played 1 game last year, 13 games total in his career or something nuts.... But Shanny traded a kings ransom as if he was a sure thing.

Last edited:

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Nope, I thought it was a massive leap of faith also... He played 1 game last year, 13 games total in his career or something nuts.... But Shanny traded a kings ransom as if he was a sure thing.
Yeah, I totally forgot about the 1 game thing too.
I'd a been furious if WFT had done that.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

he blew people away in the interviews….

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

• I really like what Washington, behind its remade, Martin Mayhew- and Marty Hurney-led scouting department, did in the draft, largely because the Football Team let the draft come to it. Linebacker and left tackle were big needs, probably the team’s two primary needs, coming in, and the WFT scored big with two high-upside guys in Kentucky LB Jamin Davis and Texas OT Sam Cosmi, both of whom are raw, gifted athletes with a lot of room to develop. I don’t know if either will hit—I’m not a scout—but I do know how the league felt about those two, and that they were picked right around where most teams expected them to be, which to me is always a good indication a team’s making the most of its situation.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
So I'm looking at the free agents for 2022 and the quarterback selection is awful. And describing it as awful is being quite kind. They're going to have to draft a quarterback next year. So, hopefully they have a chance at one of Kedon Slovis, Carson Strong or JT Daniels. I doubt that they have a chance at Sam Howell or Spencer Rattler. They'll need to completely tank and the team is good enough that there should be no reason why they tank, unless Fitzpatrick really shows his age, Heinicke proves that he's just a one game wonder and even after his fourth year, Kyle Allen still can't grasp the offense or make deep throws because of his weak arm.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So I'm looking at the free agents for 2022 and the quarterback selection is awful. And describing it as awful is being quite kind. They're going to have to draft a quarterback next year. So, hopefully they have a chance at one of Kedon Slovis, Carson Strong or JT Daniels. I doubt that they have a chance at Sam Howell or Spencer Rattler. They'll need to completely tank and the team is good enough that there should be no reason why they tank, unless Fitzpatrick really shows his age, Heinicke proves that he's just a one game wonder and even after his fourth year, Kyle Allen still can't grasp the offense or make deep throws because of his weak arm.

it’s brutal…They’re not even in the ballpark to get lucky with a draftee yet….because we don’t have shit!

It’s the journeyman cycle for the next few years at a minimum IMO, unless they make a big trade.

ZERO chance they’re tanking with that D…..they’re going to try and win with a hope and a prayer behind center for the foreseeable future. It was this past year or nothing for the tank.

I know Fitz will be fun for a year, then what?

Last edited:

mad4comp

Jan 21, 2010

Wut...? Didn't he make a 50 yard pass to Terry off of one foot against the cowgirls?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is why you build the team first, then add the QB. Get all the cheaper pieces in place via draft etc and then you don't need so much youth, so you can trade a haul of draft picks to move up and get your guy. They ALMOST tried it this year. If they're too far down the list next draft they'll surely trade up.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
That only works for a handful of years before guys start aging off rookie deals and you’re just spinning your wheels.

if they don’t get a good QB or good potential QB next year, they’re burning the roster for mediocrity IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad