Proposal: Washington-Edmonton

Caps4Cups17

May 20, 2015
Washington: Milan Lucic 50% salary retained

Edmonton: Andre Burakovsky + Christian Djoos + 2019 3rd

*Burakovsky gets to start fresh and possibly revitalize his career
*Djoos is a solid 3rd pairing d-man with offensive upside
*The enforcer role for Wilson would not be as big of a need with Lucic on the team. Wilson could focus on his offensive game
*Add some grit to the playoffs with Lucic

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Good lord no. The Caps have no use for Lucic. Why are the Caps trading Djoos?
Edmonton gives up Lucic for the 3rd. This is coo coo

edit; Wilson is focusing on his offensive game. Have you seen the score sheet? His physical game is part of his offensive game. He skates with the players that need the protection.

Which Caps forward are you taking out to make room for Lucic?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I can't imagine why the Caps would take on Lucic even with max retention. He would kill any line he's on due to his lack of speed. He's a boat anchor that is only getting worse as time goes on. Makes zero sense

Reactions: Spazkat

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Hell take Djoos and the draft pick out of that and EDM Still take it while praising the lord for a Xmas miracle.

$3m for hanging on EDM"s books paying for him to play elsewehere for that long will be painful - but EDM need him gone to revitalize the forward group.

Reactions: Silky mitts
Feb 24, 2017
Not really. Lots of teams worked around it. Heck plenty of teams - us included - don’t have 7 forwards worth protecting.
I think that’s when Lucic will possibly hold some kind of rehabilitated value. Once that draft has come and gone and he doesn’t have this year and 4 more to go.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Lucic is not a bad deal at 3 million, in fact he'd probably have some value. For what he brings I think he'd be a good 3rd/4th line add at that price.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Lucic is not a bad deal at 3 million, in fact he'd probably have some value. For what he brings I think he'd be a good 3rd/4th line add at that price.

I don't think you want a 3 million dollar player on your 4th line. Furthermore, he's on pace for 17 pts, is slow as molasses, handles the puck like a grenade and no one wants to fight him anymore. That's not good value for your 3rd line either. I feel for the Oilers really - there is no way out.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don't think you want a 3 million dollar player on your 4th line. Furthermore, he's on pace for 17 pts, is slow as molasses, handles the puck like a grenade and no one wants to fight him anymore. That's not good value for your 3rd line either. I feel for the Oilers really - there is no way out.

Only thing to do is what Hitch did - tell him his job isn’t to score anymore, just go bang bodies with Brodziak and Kassian and keep the puck in the offensive zone. He’s not really playing poorly, he just might be the one of the worst offensive players in the league right now.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oiler fans better pray for a compliance buyout or a NHL shutdown for 4 years....

Why? Serious question. You seem more concerned with bashing the Oilers than any kind of discussion.

It’s a bad contract to be sure but the big money deals are already doled out, just building around 97 and 29 now. We’re 9-2-2 in our last 13 games. I’d love to have that six mil going somewhere else but if that’s not feasible then we deal with it.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Why? Serious question. You seem more concerned with bashing the Oilers than any kind of discussion.

It’s a bad contract to be sure but the big money deals are already doled out, just building around 97 and 29 now. We’re 9-2-2 in our last 13 games. I’d love to have that six mil going somewhere else but if that’s not feasible then we deal with it.

Don't be so sensitive! Oilers are a different team with Hitch behind the bench.

Will be interesting to see how Hitch deals with Lucic moving forward as i don't see any way out.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Don't be so sensitive! Oilers are a different team with Hitch behind the bench.

Will be interesting to see how Hitch deals with Lucic moving forward as i don't see any way out.

Well he moved him to the 4th line but gave the 4th line a fancy name so none of those players will feel bad. Then last game he moved Lucic to the 5th line.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
There isn't a market for Lucic at even 50 percent retention. This proposal presumes that the problem with Lucic is solely related to his terrible contract. That's inaccurate. He's also too slow and the game has passed him by. The Caps haven't been targeting size and snarl, but size and snarl when it also brings skill and can skate. This is not a player they would be targeting.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Credit to OP for maybe being the first fan I’ve ever seen not demanding max retention+two top prospects+sending junk back.

Could we reduce the retention down to, say, 4.5 mil (25%) and you guys keep Djoos?
Doesn't that just make a deal that's already quite bad for Washington even worse? No way keeping Djoos is worth losing 1.5 mil in cap space per year for 5 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->