Post-Game Talk: Washington disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
There have been a lot of terrible games lately all turning into losses. The discussion /conversation here during the games and after the games is always the same. That suggests the fans know there are major issues with this team.

So here is the question: from the ownership down does this management team want to win? They see what we see. This group of players are worse than the group that played in the playoffs last season.

Observation: they are filling seats at home with this group of players and coaches.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Would it really surprise anyone if they sent back McLeod and brought up Gabriel? I forget when we had our little stupid Gazdic call up in 2016.

Holy shit, we were 12-10-6 before he played a game that year and his first game was on December 15th.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ouch. Triple post.

Sorry, this computer doesn't load and I have to hit things three times to see if the first goes through haha.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There have been a lot of terrible games lately all turning into losses. The discussion /conversation here during the games and after the games is always the same. That suggests the fans know there are major issues with this team.

So here is the question: from the ownership down does this management team want to win? They see what we see. This group of players are worse than the group that played in the playoffs last season.

Observation: they are filling seats at home with this group of players and coaches.
Oops! One of my posts disappeared and I went back and edited it after the original one posted 3 times! Haha, anyway, my original post was

I think ownership and management wants to win, just not sure if it's this year.

I think some of us were prepared that we may miss the playoffs this year, even though we were optimistic. i always thought it was 50/50, but I figured we'd be a 90-ish point team if we missed. I think our odds were something like 90 points? Upper 80's/lower 90's. Something like that. So to finish with 75 points, which is our current pace, that would be very underachieving.

So I look at the roster and there's 6 guys that are anywhere from slightly underachieving to massively underachieving. The underachievers are seriously outnumbering the overachievers by 2 to 1 or close to it.

The underachievers would be Zacha, Johansson, Wood, Schneider, Noesen, Butcher. That's 6 right there. The overachievers would be Zajac, Coleman, Mueller. Maybe Palmieri? That's still 6 to 4 if you wanna count him. And really, Zajac is only doing what he's doing because Zacha went 12 games without a point and still has 0 assists in 19 games played this season. So we've had to play Zajac on scoring lines out of necessity. Johansson has heated up a bit lately, but still on pace for just 33 or 34 points. Wood had one f***in lousy point in the entire month of November and played all f***in 15 games of it. Looks like he was benched last night. He might be the scratch for Gabriel tonight. Schneider has played like a 52 year old that's come out of retirement to play in the current NHL. Has only played one decent game in 5 starts and it was a game where he allowed both goals in the first 30 seconds. Noesen hasn't done anything worth mentioning and Butcher has been as invisible as anybody on the power play.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Oops! One of my posts disappeared and I went back and edited it after the original one posted 3 times! Haha, anyway, my original post was

I think ownership and management wants to win, just not sure if it's this year.

I think some of us were prepared that we may miss the playoffs this year, even though we were optimistic. i always thought it was 50/50, but I figured we'd be a 90-ish point team if we missed. I think our odds were something like 90 points? Upper 80's/lower 90's. Something like that. So to finish with 75 points, which is our current pace, that would be very underachieving.

So I look at the roster and there's 6 guys that are anywhere from slightly underachieving to massively underachieving. The underachievers are seriously outnumbering the overachievers by 2 to 1 or close to it.

The underachievers would be Zacha, Johansson, Wood, Schneider, Noesen, Butcher. That's 6 right there. The overachievers would be Zajac, Coleman, Mueller. Maybe Palmieri? That's still 6 to 4 if you wanna count him. And really, Zajac is only doing what he's doing because Zacha went 12 games without a point and still has 0 assists in 19 games played this season. So we've had to play Zajac on scoring lines out of necessity. Johansson has heated up a bit lately, but still on pace for just 33 or 34 points. Wood had one ****in lousy point in the entire month of November and played all ****in 15 games of it. Looks like he was benched last night. He might be the scratch for Gabriel tonight. Schneider has played like a 52 year old that's come out of retirement to play in the current NHL. Has only played one decent game in 5 starts and it was a game where he allowed both goals in the first 30 seconds. Noesen hasn't done anything worth mentioning and Butcher has been as invisible as anybody on the power play.

I should have qualified win better. Win with this team IMO, would be making the playoffs again. Before the off-season I felt we would be back again to the playoffs this season . After the off season, before any game was played, I felt this team wouldn't make the playoffs based on the off season activities, coming and going of players. I didn't feel that Ray hadn't done enough for the defence and I expected Schneider to be a slow, if ever, come back from surgery along with the need of another top 6 forward. Therefore the question about ownership and management wanting to win. I agree with you probably not this season. That's disappointing to me. To me a rebuild is slowly getting better not going backwards. Therefore, I am writing off this season based on what we have coaching and player wise today if changes are made then that's a different story.

There is always next year.

Go Devils.

Last edited:
Reactions: Devils Dominion

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
They DESPERATELY need a new coaching staff. It’s not even debatable anymore. The team is absolutely lost. I still can’t understand how one player splits two of your d-men twice in the same game. Unless it’s prime #99 coming at you, it’s inexcusable, but somehow not surprising with some of the shit we constantly see.

I fully realize sacking Hynes won’t cure everything. Shit, it may not actually do a damn thing as far as actual results are concerned. I mean who is getting anything more out of a doofus like Wood? Who the hell is rebuilding Greene? The list goes on. But what can maybe happen is that the team can at least start playing a structured game and with some f***ing purpose for a change. It’s not so much the losing as it is the awful brand of hockey they play. You have to realize that we are only at December 1st as of today. Just imagine another four full months of this. Something has to give here.

I don’t have much faith in the roster being improved anytime soon so I truly hope the alarm sounded for Shero a few weeks back and he’s been looking into temporary coaching options for the rest of the season. Unfortunately, I don’t think it will happen but I hope that I’m wrong. This season is in the shitter but they have to try to salvage something from it. I can’t see that happening with this staff in place.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
When your 80% of your roster looks like shit, it's on the coaching staff.

Look at all his knee jerk reactions. He knows his seat is really getting warm

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I honestly don't know what to make of this team. They're comically bad on the road, but pretty good at home. I wouldn't think having last change would make that drastic of a difference, so what is it?

Pride. They still care about not getting booed off the ice...for now

Saint Beaurivage

Jersey Shore
Nov 18, 2017
Jacques Lemaire turned far worse teams around. Either shake up the line up with a fair trade or change coaches.

You need to try a little harder Ray, going down the same path doesn't tell you anything and this obviously isn't working. Do something!

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Caps fan here. Just wanna say that the Devils didnt play a bad game. They owned us in that 2nd period. Just couldn't finish.
I have to say I thought the Reffing was pretty bad in this one. It started with the call on Wilson. Sorry guys but that was a bad call and I think the refs knew it and started calling makeup calls. I got to be honest I never did see the butt end. They never did show the replay. Did it even happen? And the penalty to give us the 5 on 3 was a joke. He was just playing defence. The refs also let the Caps get away with some stuff in that 3rd period. There was at least 2 calls that should have been made against the Caps.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Caps fan here. Just wanna say that the Devils didnt play a bad game. They owned us in that 2nd period. Just couldn't finish.
I have to say I thought the Reffing was pretty bad in this one. It started with the call on Wilson. Sorry guys but that was a bad call and I think the refs knew it and started calling makeup calls. I got to be honest I never did see the butt end. They never did show the replay. Did it even happen? And the penalty to give us the 5 on 3 was a joke. He was just playing defence. The refs also let the Caps get away with some stuff in that 3rd period. There was at least 2 calls that should have been made against the Caps.

You know it's bad when other teams fans come to say it's not so bad. We are freaking pitiful. Our team stinks, we know it. Thanks though.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You know it's bad when other teams fans come to say it's not so bad. We are freaking pitiful. Our team stinks, we know it. Thanks though.
We didnt really out play you guys. We buried our chances and Holtby made some big saves.
From watching this game I dont see your team needing an overhaul.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Wait a second.. am I not understanding this?

You are actually defending Wilson? Bad call?

That was an egregiously flagrant attempt to injure. It was an elbow to the head from behind on a defenseless player without the puck...you literally can't make up a worse scenario.

Wilson will be suspended for that play, it's just a matter of how long.

Reactions: Patrik26

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Bad call. :laugh:

He miss called it as check to the head I think, but he deserved to be ejected from the game for that based on interference or hit from behind. Either one fits the exact rule book for that hit.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Wait a second.. am I not understanding this?

You are actually defending Wilson? Bad call?

That was an egregiously flagrant attempt to injure. It was an elbow to the head from behind on a defenseless player without the puck...you literally can't make up a worse scenario.

Wilson will be suspended for that play, it's just a matter of how long.
Missed the game last night. Just saw the replay. Didn't look like a check to the head. It was absolutely interference and a check to the back to me though. Also 100% intentional as he drove through him. Wilson's shoulder never flinched back.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Missed the game last night. Just saw the replay. Didn't look like a check to the head. It was absolutely interference and a check to the back to me though. Also 100% intentional as he drove through him. Wilson's shoulder never flinched back.
When I watched the replay it looked like an elbow to the head to me...

But regardless what really stands out is the path Wilson took. There was no reason for the confrontation.... the puck was in the corner at the time of the hit. Wilson went to the player without the puck....the path he took alone is clear intent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad