Post-Game Talk: Washington Capitals (kind of) vs Providence Bruins | 5/11/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Again, Mantha is being asked to do all the things that Vrana was asked to do and just ignored defensively and system-wise in the midst of one of the most dramatic and bizarre stretches in Caps history. What I see is a guy learning and trying to do the right things--and even more, not do the wrong things--in a very new and demanding situation.

By contrast, Vrana has been delivered of all expectations and is now on a team where he can basically play offense-only hockey and no one cares. Vrana has had the much easier road.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Jesus... one goal and you all are drunk on Raffl? I like him a lot. Even said we should consider resigning him. But calling him the key to the playoffs. That is rediculous.
To me, Raffl has just played very solid hockey that fits the Caps system since pretty much his first game. Doesn’t look out of place in the middle or on either wing, good two-way game and prepared to get into it physically when it matters, good on the PK... Raffl is my candidate so far for Kempny-like TDL pickup.

Mantha hasn’t had a lot of stability since he came here, but a lot of the spark we saw from him those first few games has gone. I don’t notice him out there quite a bit of the time. If we end up playing without Kuzy, and perhaps Oshie, we can’t afford to have guys like Wilson or Mantha not be effective at what they do. Eller can elevate his game to 2C if he has good wing support, much like Sheary can play in the top-6 with good support. I’m a bit worried we won’t actually have enough legit top-6 guys come playoffs to make that work.

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Mantha hasn’t had a lot of stability since he came here, but a lot of the spark we saw from him those first few games has gone. I don’t notice him out there quite a bit of the time. If we end up playing without Kuzy, and perhaps Oshie, we can’t afford to have guys like Wilson or Mantha not be effective at what they do. Eller can elevate his game to 2C if he has good wing support, much like Sheary can play in the top-6 with good support. I’m a bit worried we won’t actually have enough legit top-6 guys come playoffs to make that work.

I agree that Mantha does more of the little things than Vrana. But I don’t think he is excellent at that either, just better than Vrana. At the same time when you trade Vrana, a first, and a second, you are not doing that for someone who is a little more responsible defensively. Mantha also needs to produce and lately he hasn’t.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
To me, Raffl has just played very solid hockey that fits the Caps system since pretty much his first game. Doesn’t look out of place in the middle or on either wing, good two-way game and prepared to get into it physically when it matters, good on the PK... Raffl is my candidate so far for Kempny-like TDL pickup.

Recall how the Caps started hot early in the season then slumped at bit? At the start it was, just get your feet under you, feel the puck, have fun after the long layoff. Then when I they really started trying to master Lavi's system, there was a learning curve where they looked slow and lost. I think there's a correlation with Mantha's trajectory so far. He's surely not a consistent goal-per-game guy like he was at first, but he's also a better player than he's shown since. I just hope he can get confident and comfortable fast.

Reactions: HecticGlow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad