Post-Game Talk: Washington Capitals (kind of) vs Providence Bruins | 5/11/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I hope they both make a difference. I know I’ve been leading the Mantha cheerleading squad since the trade, but I just think this has been a hell of a crazy few weeks. Raffl is a veteran guy at 32; he’s been traded a couple times at least.

For Mantha, he’s 26, unexpectedly traded out of the only organization he’s ever played in, and is suddenly being asked to play a supporting role and a complete and disciplined style of game behind world-class superstars for the first time. In Detroit, he was one of the only important guys on a team with no direction where you just did whatever. That’s a lot of change.

Meanwhile, one of his teammates has been hung in effigy by fans and the press, almost the entire top 6 except him went down with injury, another top 6 guy and the 1A goalie have been banished in some way. It’s a lot for youngish guy on his first new team, and he’s still been playing fairly well in several aspects. I still think he’s gonna get it sorted, hopefully sooner than later.

Yep, Raffl is the key for playoffs. He's played in it before and can play situational roles with some skill. I only expect Mantha to get regular line duty and some PP time. Raffl can fill all the designated needs, except as a defenseman. Imho, he was a quiet TDL win. I'm hoping the playoffs will ignite Mantha to another level.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I looked at this game like an injury reassignment. It gave the injured guys like Ovy a chance to dust the dirt off and move their legs.

Reactions: Calicaps

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Jesus... one goal and you all are drunk on Raffl? I like him a lot. Even said we should consider resigning him. But calling him the key to the playoffs. That is rediculous.

Not really. He's veteran depth and can play different positions. We're not calling him the key. The key to playoffs is the stars staying health and showing up for a full game and of course VV. If we get everyone healthy, we have nice playoff depth.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I hope they both make a difference. I know I’ve been leading the Mantha cheerleading squad since the trade, but I just think this has been a hell of a crazy few weeks. Raffl is a veteran guy at 32; he’s been traded a couple times at least.

For Mantha, he’s 26, unexpectedly traded out of the only organization he’s ever played in, and is suddenly being asked to play a supporting role and a complete and disciplined style of game behind world-class superstars for the first time. In Detroit, he was one of the only important guys on a team with no direction where you just did whatever. That’s a lot of change.

Meanwhile, one of his teammates has been hung in effigy by fans and the press, almost the entire top 6 except him went down with injury, another top 6 guy and the 1A goalie have been banished in some way. It’s a lot for youngish guy on his first new team, and he’s still been playing fairly well in several aspects. I still think he’s gonna get it sorted, hopefully sooner than later.

Absolutely correct about Mantha. There's been lots of movement and lots of drama since he arrived, but he's managed to get some production since he arrived and appears to have good chemistry with Backstrom. He'll be fine, I'm sure he's beyond thrilled about getting his feet wet in the playoffs.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Jesus... one goal and you all are drunk on Raffl? I like him a lot. Even said we should consider resigning him. But calling him the key to the playoffs. That is rediculous.
We said it would be cool if he turned out to be one. No one is guaranteeing it. That said, he has already proved valuable because of al the injuries and Covid crap, etc. Great to have a guy who can sub in at center

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Just two days ago this group was killing me for saying Raffl would start playoffs over Sprong so would be F13.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don’t understand the optimism with Mantha. 0 goals and 3 assists in the last 10 games. I feel like Vrana would have been massacred if he had similar production.

Vrana did worse. The Caps have scored 5 regulation goals in the last 3 games and Mantha created 2 of them. Ive got no issues. A reminder. How many points does Mantha need in these playoffs to outscore Vrana's last two playoff seasons?

Reactions: troyerlaw

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I don't think it was me doing that. I would have to look back at posts from two days ago.
It might not have been you specifically. Just a lot of backlash and love for Sprong. Today love for Raffl.

Which brings me back to what i said 2 days ago (I’m not going to go looking either). It’s great to have 13 capable forwards. Who sits... raffl, sprong, or Sheary. Who cares. Good problem to have.

Bring on Saturday.

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I don’t understand the optimism with Mantha. 0 goals and 3 assists in the last 10 games. I feel like Vrana would have been massacred if he had similar production.

I agree. I just can't be bothered getting into a "discussion" with people here about it. All will be revealed during the playoffs and there is nothing more to be done about it :thumbu:

Reactions: Ovie's Neighbor

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
It might not have been you specifically. Just a lot of backlash and love for Sprong. Today love for Raffl.

Which brings me back to what i said 2 days ago (I’m not going to go looking either). It’s great to have 13 capable forwards. Who sits... raffl, sprong, or Sheary. Who cares. Good problem to have.

Bring on Saturday.

Yeah, I just want some heroes and full effort. Last playoffs ticked me off with laziness until near the end of the season. New coach, some new players, and new playoffs can invigorate. Indeed, it's a great problem to have.

Reactions: troyerlaw

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Vrana did worse. The Caps have scored 5 regulation goals in the last 3 games and Mantha created 2 of them. Ive got no issues. A reminder. How many points does Mantha need in these playoffs to outscore Vrana's last two playoff seasons?

I would hope that the bar's a little bit higher than "Hey Mantha got a point in the playoffs, he's better than Vrana!" :laugh:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I would hope that the bar's a little bit higher than "Hey Mantha got a point in the playoffs, he's better than Vrana!" :laugh:

Whats your point. If we are comparing Mantha to Vrana, everything he produces is gravy. The poster I responded to directly injected Vrana in the conversation​

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Yeah, I just want some heroes and full effort. Last playoffs ticked me off with laziness until near the end of the season. New coach, some new players, and new playoffs can invigorate. Indeed, it's a great problem to have.
I like this team. I like this locker room. Like Lavi. Not everyone is going to be a hero every night, but no reason to expect they won’t bring a full effort consistently. And if not, we have options ready to step in and give a full effort.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Jun 15, 2007
Not impressed with Mantha at all the past few weeks.

It was a trade made with the playoffs in mind so I'll reserve judgement.

But so far, all the negatives Detroit fans said were true. He's floater and he's not physical at all for his size.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Not impressed with Mantha at all the past few weeks.

It was a trade made with the playoffs in mind so I'll reserve judgement.

But so far, all the negatives Detroit fans said were true. He's floater and he's not physical at all for his size.
I don’t think he’s looked great either the past few weeks but his underlying numbers are fantastic. Vrana also was playing like absolute dog shit with a terrible attitude his last month or so here and would likely only be worse at this point, and he literally could not be any worse than Vrana has been in the past 2 playoffs. Mantha’s shooting percentage is also extremely low compared to his career numbers. If he’s a streaky player, let’s hope he catches fire starting this weekend.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Mantha is still better than Vrana (on this team) for multiple reasons. Reasonable contract for 3 more years. Big. Sweet wrister. Good eyes and passer. We are better with him than not having made the trade for THIS SC run.

That said, I hope he start moving his wheels and shows a little more urgency getting to the puck. If he does he can be a beast!

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
Mantha is still better than Vrana (on this team) for multiple reasons. Reasonable contract for 3 more years. Big. Sweet wrister. Good eyes and passer. We are better with him than not having made the trade for THIS SC run.

That said, I hope he start moving his wheels and shows a little more urgency getting to the puck. If he does he can be a beast!

I think it's going to be more of a Stanley Cup stagger :laugh:

(And hopefully not a stumble)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad