Post-Game Talk: Washington Capitals @ Buffalo Sabres

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Do we think maybe he got hurt on that rush toward end of 3rd where he shot wide and then immediately headed for bench? I know he went in SO, but still. Then again, not playing in OT could’ve also been related to us spending 2 min on PK and having a hard time even keeping possession of puck.
No. The Russian Machine does not break

Reactions: troyerlaw

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I believe I had plenty of positive posts tonight thank you very much. :popcorn:

Key word is 'tonight' and then all someone has to do is look at your posting history. I didn't see much to be positive about tonight, but enjoy your cognitive dissonance.

source.gif

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
ya. TR doesn’t like playing him in OT. He gets maybe one shift. I get the possession game and ovie isn’t the greatest at it, but you need to create chances to get the best goal scorer in the game on the ice with that much space..
It is just interesting because I think Backstrom and Oshie have been our two worst forwards in OT this year yet they often get the first or second shift. I would love to see more of Vrana in OT but he is in Reirden's doghouse right now.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Yeah 90 points in the standing. Fire him

hes not perfect but the oh so perfect Trotz is currently sitting one point back from 9th in the standings
I’m not a Trotz fan either. I think Reirden supplemented where Trotz was lacking and versa. The total points in a vacuum look fine of course. But the incredibly long stretch of sub 500 play, the GAA even when at the top of the league, and the consistent lack of discipline are all pretty concerning.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
It is just interesting because I think Backstrom and Oshie have been our two worst forwards in OT this year yet they often get the first or second shift. I would love to see more of Vrana in OT but he is in Reirden's doghouse right now.
Todd seems to prefer the slow and plodding players out there in OT. That Zibanijad type play is not in his playbook.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
well as with all things....age helps contribute to not being able to getting your shot off. I think he can be a lot more active to help alleviate the pressure, or at least be in position to take what the coverage gives.....they can’t cover everything.

If they choose to cover 3 guys with 4 guys, they can do a pretty good job.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Defense. In 3 on 3 your defensive coverage is more critical by far than 5 on 5. That is why Backstrom and Oshie play right away and why Vrana doesn't.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
At this point hope they're bored to tears in the regular season and flip the switch in the playoffs and chew through the EC the way they've been chewing through Pittsburgh (the one team they care about beating every time).

If early exit, replace TR with dream team of Laviolette behind the bench with Sutter and Boucher at his sides

Reactions: Corby78

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
doesn’t ovi have the most ot goals of all-time??
For sure, but also ... less dangerous in OT nowadays. I think the balance of OT winners is probably skewed toward first 1/2 of his career. But that’s a straight-up guess. Anyway, the possession game isn’t his strong suit, so that hurts in OT. Same with his D-zone effectiveness. I’m fine with him not seeing ice when 2 of the 5 min were PK. Interesting that Kovy got time, though. I’d prefer guys like Eller, Oshie, Vrana, Kuz, Backy, Wilson, maybe even Stone Hags, just for the speed

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Analytically, they dominated. Expected goals at even strength were ~ 2-1 Caps which is a pretty big margin, even though they did seem kind of lifeless.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Improved play of Holts and Jensen especially encouraging. Hell, i almost wanted to see Jensen out there for OT tonight. Which is a sentence i thought i would never ever under any circumstance write.
So funny. I was thinking the same thing! Jensen has been strong. Even laid some guys out in front of the net tonight. Not sure if this was mentioned earlier up and I didn’t read the whole GDT, but in the third they switched the pairs up and had 6-74, 9-3, and 4-34. Those pairs looked much better. Suspect we will see that on Thursday.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Agreed. Soft as hell. That’s why i’m not overly upset to lose in OT. We were damn lucky to get even the 1 pt. Holts sold the call
He didn't sell anything. He tried to move out of his crease to play the angle better and Skinner nudged Holtby's goalie stick before the shot went by and in. It was 100% the correct call. By the way, as a goalie myself I had this happen to me. It doesn't take much to nudge a goalies stick and they lose their balance or get twisted up.

Reactions: Sam Spade

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
He didn't sell anything. He tried to move out of his crease to play the angle better and Skinner nudged Holtby's goalie stick before the shot went by and in. It was 100% the correct call. By the way, as a goalie myself I had this happen to me. It doesn't take much to nudge a goalies stick and they lose their balance or get twisted up.
Fair points. You may be right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad