Post-Game Talk: Washington Capitals @ Buffalo Sabres 7:00 PM ET NBCSN,SN1,CSN-DC+

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I guess I'm the only one who saw Weber's stick in a slight corkscrew move between Backstrom's legs, making it impossible for 19 to maintain any balance and protect himself when being thrust into the boards from an awkward distance. To me that's a clear penalty. Ovie was right to jump in, and it looked like Wilson just had his head down and was focused on the puck and didn't even notice what happened. Ovie was in very quickly.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I thought the Weber thing was clear boarding (especially with the elbow follow-through towards the head), and could have also been called either holding or tripping.

The most disappointing thing about that game was Weber wasn't made to answer later on.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
That play looked fishy. I focused more on the aftermath on the replays but they did say it should have been a penalty.

Wilson TRIED to make Weber answer for it. Wilson even dropped his gloves. Weber didn't answer the bell so not much you can do in a close game where the Caps needed the points.

I bet if we were up by 4 then Wilson would have went ahead and started pounding away on him.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Chim-Fehr-Ward is a bit long in the tooth (certainly on the Wings) and I think back-to-backs may take enough out of their legs as to keep them from doing what they need to do.

On another matter, is GlenX sort of exposing the team's relatively low collective hockey IQ? The guy does not seem to have any special talent (though he is fleet), but his hockey sense puts him into opportunistic places where, for whatever reason, other wings on this team just don't get to. It takes smarts to repeatedly be in the right place in the right time, but it seems like we should have more guys able to do that.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Chim-Fehr-Ward is a bit long in the tooth (certainly on the Wings) and I think back-to-backs may take enough out of their legs as to keep them from doing what they need to do.

On another matter, is GlenX sort of exposing the team's relatively low collective hockey IQ? The guy does not seem to have any special talent (though he is fleet), but his hockey sense puts him into opportunistic places where, for whatever reason, other wings on this team just don't get to. It takes smarts to repeatedly be in the right place in the right time, but it seems like we should have more guys able to do that.

I'm not sure last night is a good example.

On Green's goal Brooks Laich was in paint occupying 2 Sabres and MJ faked the goalie out hard with a net drive.

The play that drew the penalty where Kuz scored it was MJ battling 3 sabres in front of the net forcing them to take a delay of game.

It was one of those games where the Sabres blocked alot of shots by fronting their man so the puck never got through.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I guess I'm the only one who saw Weber's stick in a slight corkscrew move between Backstrom's legs, making it impossible for 19 to maintain any balance and protect himself when being thrust into the boards from an awkward distance. To me that's a clear penalty. Ovie was right to jump in, and it looked like Wilson just had his head down and was focused on the puck and didn't even notice what happened. Ovie was in very quickly.

You're not the only one. It was subtle but dirty. Should have been boarding. Would hAve been had Ovy thrown that hit.

Joe B even said Wilson was turned and didn't see the hit.

BlitzSnipe

Dec 28, 2014
I'm not particularly worried about it. His skating is so good that it's nearly impossible to get a clean shot on him. He's slippery.

It's really a joy to watch him in full glide. In my estimation, he's by far the best skater on the Caps and elite league-wide. Reminds me of Fedorov how effortless it is.

Yep, definitely - if he performs at his proper level, he could be one of NHL's top scorers, imo.

Vladiator16*

I thought the Weber thing was clear boarding (especially with the elbow follow-through towards the head), and could have also been called either holding or tripping.

The most disappointing thing about that game was Weber wasn't made to answer later on.

Yeah, i wish somebody would've wrecked him, but with such a close game i don't think they wanted to be in the box more then necessary, especially the way things been called against us...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The Webber hit was very awkward - I have never seen one like that. I doubt there was any intent to injure.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Kuznetsov looked like Malkin Lite last night. He was incredible.

If he finds his consistency as he ages, look out.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006

Consistency is surely a factor, though I am not sure it's the main one right now.

I think he has pretty consistently looked good against teams that give up space. On the other hand, against teams that check tight it's difficult for him, at this point at least, to make an impact.

Probably, one major "milestone" for Kuz will be when the NA/NHL game finally "slows down" for him, and another one will be when/if he gets strong enough to start winning a greater share of puck battles. Other things are important, too, but that's when I would expect to see a big improvement in his effectiveness.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Malkin Light, is more like it. Malkin has is 6'3" 200, Kuzy is 6'0" 180. Need to get some bulk on the kid. Same with Bura.

But I agree, he was the best player on the ice and it wasn't close.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Kuzy is at least 6'2". The 6'0", 170 numbers are his draft measurements.

ovi-with-kuznetsov.jpg

I've also been impressed with his demeanor. After his long KHL stay, I expected him to be flaky. Seems to be fully committed, and already speaks better English than Semin ever did.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Guy was our Russian hope for a long time already.

He's the closest to the next good center for National Team after Datsyuk's retired. Ofc he has some positive sides to him :)

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Consistency is surely a factor, though I am not sure it's the main one right now.

I think he has pretty consistently looked good against teams that give up space. On the other hand, against teams that check tight it's difficult for him, at this point at least, to make an impact.

Probably, one major "milestone" for Kuz will be when the NA/NHL game finally "slows down" for him, and another one will be when/if he gets strong enough to start winning a greater share of puck battles. Other things are important, too, but that's when I would expect to see a big improvement in his effectiveness.

Very true. If he could ever come close to being as strong as Backstrom on the puck, he'd be amazing.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Kuz is ****ing awesome. i was thinking my next jersey should be a Wilson but it may have to be Kuz...

love the kayak. Don Cherry's head would explode

Skip to Fiddy Seconds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad