8. D Nate Schmidt
9. C Michael Latta
10.D Connor Carrick
11.RW Stanislav Galiev
12.D Patrick Wey
13.D Cameron Schilling

Lewington added.

Liberati0n*

Stephenson. It's hard for me to choose among Sanford, Djoos and him. I think Djoos is being overlooked a little. Add Flemming.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Stephenson. It's hard for me to choose among Sanford, Djoos and him. I think Djoos is being overlooked a little. Add Flemming.

Yeah, I agree that Djoos is right with him (don't know much about Sanford yet), but there are quite a few young PMD ahead of him. If he makes good progress this year I expect him to get a good jump in the prospect rankings.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Djoos is still very raw and unproven. While he certainly jumped ahead of guys from the previous classes who regressed/faltered (Wuthrich, Kostenko, the entire 2011 draft class), I don't think an invitation to the Swedish WJHC based on injuries ahead of him or success in the Swedish U20 league is enough to move him ahead of some of our other prospects. If he's able to continue to have success against higher levels of competition, he could certainly rise. But at this point, I'll take the unproven prospect competing against low level competition that has significantly higher upside (Sanford).

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
But at this point, I'll take the unproven prospect competing against low level competition that has significantly higher upside (Sanford).
Agreed, though Djoos did play in the SEL last year and received healthy minutes at that. I had Sanford over Schilling as well in part for age purposes since he's just two weeks younger than Alzner. From a sheer upside standpoint Sanford is arguably top seven.

It's possible only an aged out Schilling and perhaps Kundratek are graduates next year. Add in another draft class and there may not be a whole lot of room to move up the list unless some are moved or have poor seasons. Djoos is tracking pretty well so far but I'd like to see more strength and offensive punch/skill on top of a reliable game to put him on equal footing with someone like Carrick.

Add Heinrich.

Liberati0n*

Djoos is still very raw and unproven. While he certainly jumped ahead of guys from the previous classes who regressed/faltered (Wuthrich, Kostenko, the entire 2011 draft class), I don't think an invitation to the Swedish WJHC based on injuries ahead of him or success in the Swedish U20 league is enough to move him ahead of some of our other prospects. If he's able to continue to have success against higher levels of competition, he could certainly rise. But at this point, I'll take the unproven prospect competing against low level competition that has significantly higher upside (Sanford).

It's reports of his play in the SEL that are driving my opinion more than anything else. I'm probably underrating Sanford's upside because I know less about him.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Never paid any attention to Stephenson, but wow and on top of that he was from the 2012 draft. Pretty amazing draft especially if you ignore the fact Forsberg was traded.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Quite the prospect pool when, based on how this vote is going anyway, you have a 19 year old taking a regular shift on defense of a SEL playoff team as maybe your 15th best prospect...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Quite the prospect pool when, based on how this vote is going anyway, you have a 19 year old taking a regular shift on defense of a SEL playoff team as maybe your 15th best prospect...

Simon Bertilsson (Flyers 2009 3rd rounder) has been skating on the same blueline since his 18/19 year old season. The Flyers opted not to sign him to an ELC. HF ranked him 14th among Flyers prospects in both Fall 2009 and Spring 2010. Undrafted Simon Lof also played 55 games for Brynas during his 18/19 year old season. Nine different players aged 22 or younger, five of which were 20 or younger, saw time on league Champion Skelleftea's blueline.

You're overrating Djoos' experience in the SEL.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Simon Bertilsson (Flyers 2009 3rd rounder) has been skating on the same blueline since his 18/19 year old season. The Flyers opted not to sign him to an ELC. HF ranked him 14th among Flyers prospects in both Fall 2009 and Spring 2010. Undrafted Simon Lof also played 55 games for Brynas during his 18/19 year old season. Nine different players aged 22 or younger, five of which were 20 or younger, saw time on league Champion Skelleftea's blueline.

Yeah no chance I'm going to find plenty of like for like examples that didn't pan out of the at least 14 guys rated ahead of him here...

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Yeah no chance I'm going to find plenty of like for like examples that didn't pan out of the at least 14 guys rated ahead of him here...

You're missing the point. What has Djoos done to separate himself from the hordes of other Swedish teenagers? Merely playing in Elitserien is not enough. I just don't see a whole lot of upside, so unless he can distinguish himself someway, I don't see why he should be ranked any higher than the mid-teens.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
You're missing the point. What has Djoos done to separate himself from the hordes of other Swedish teenagers? Merely playing in Elitserien is not enough. I just don't see a whole lot of upside, so unless he can distinguish himself someway, I don't see why he should be ranked any higher than the mid-teens.

Djoosus Uncrossed is my one sleeper caps prospect. He is just going to need to be a late bloomer physically to have a chance considering how slight he is/was.

Plus if he makes I can keep posting the below YT that makes me giggle.

SBraun

Mar 10, 2012
Maryland

I think you're underrating Djoos' experience in the SHL.

The number of games played mean absolutely nothing in the SHL. Every game that a player is listed on the roster counts as a game played, even if the player plays zero minutes. It's quite common for SHL teams to dress young players and then not play them (or play them minimally) for many games.

It's the TOI that the player is trusted to play that is important.

If you look at the Skelleftea example, their stats page shows that of the 9 young defensemen mentioned above, only 3 played more total season TOI and/or scored more points than Djoos. http://http://estat.hockeyligan.se/c/LPlayersTimeOnIce.aspx?LId=250&GoalKeepersScope=1&TId=32&PlayerPosition=0

Each of those 3 Skelleftea defensemen was 2-3 years older than Djoos. (Burstrom, Klingberg and Alm)

Djoos averaged 15:34 per game for the season, but by the last two months was playing 18-22 minutes per game. Possibly the most important, though, was his burst of scoring that began after he returned from the WJC. On his player page, it's shown by the blue boxes that begin to appear in mid-January, as if he'd made a breakthrough. http://http://estat.hockeyligan.se/c/LPlayer.aspx?LId=250&PlayerId=4897

This scoring didn't start as a product of his teammates' good play. It happened in spite of a nearly teamwide scoring drought from December on that nearly took Brynas out of the playoffs.

Djoos was used on the PP, PK and in OT and was even chosen for a shootout attempt.

Brynas continued to trust Djoos in the playoffs, in which he averaged 21:17, the second highest ice time on the team. http://estat.hockeyligan.se/c/LPlayersTimeOnIce.aspx?LId=251&TId=36

As for Bertilsson and Lof. . . according to Flyers' and Brynas' sites I've read, Bertilsson wasn't signed by the Flyers because of his nearly constant injuries. Lof, because of his frequent own-zone mistakes, seems to be known among Brynas fans as the player they most want loaned to another team. Both Bertilsson and Lof are 22, and both have played 4 seasons for Brynas, but neither has scored as many points in a season or proved to be as versatile as Djoos was last season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Those were just quick examples off the cuff based off Djoos' own team and the league champsion (since apparently people were putting weight on the fact that Brynas was a playoff team). Additionally many of those older players have been playing in Elitiserien for years already. Bertilsson was averaging more than 2 minutes more per game than Djoos at the same age. Lof, for as maligned as he may or may not be, is only one month older than Djoos and averaged more time per game as well.

Playing in a mean's league, especially playing a significant role, prior to being drafted in a big deal. With each passing year, it becomes less and less so. The NHL is a men's league and is substantially higher in competition than the SHL. Right now Djoos is anything but proven (especially compared to the defense prospects in front of him not named Bowey or Carrick) and lacks the upside of guys like Bowey, Sanford, and Galiev. If he continues to progress next year, then it's time for him to start moving up the rankings. I hope he's able to progress in a way similar to Mattias Backman.

Liberati0n*

Those were just quick examples off the cuff based off Djoos' own team and the league champsion (since apparently people were putting weight on the fact that Brynas was a playoff team). Additionally many of those older players have been playing in Elitiserien for years already. Bertilsson was averaging more than 2 minutes more per game than Djoos at the same age. Lof, for as maligned as he may or may not be, is only one month older than Djoos and averaged more time per game as well.

Playing in a mean's league, especially playing a significant role, prior to being drafted in a big deal. With each passing year, it becomes less and less so. The NHL is a men's league and is substantially higher in competition than the SHL. Right now Djoos is anything but proven (especially compared to the defense prospects in front of him not named Bowey or Carrick) and lacks the upside of guys like Bowey, Sanford, and Galiev. If he continues to progress next year, then it's time for him to start moving up the rankings. I hope he's able to progress in a way similar to Mattias Backman.

My understanding is that Djoos is almost all upside. His main obstacle has always been his size. I think you're concluding that he has less offensive skill than he really has because he hasn't produced very much. I think one thing most people can agree on is that lack of production in the SEL doesn't indicate a lack of offensive ability.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
My understanding is that Djoos is almost all upside. His main obstacle has always been his size. I think you're concluding that he has less offensive skill than he really has because he hasn't produced very much. I think one thing most people can agree on is that lack of production in the SEL doesn't indicate a lack of offensive ability.
He did have eight points in his final 16 SEL regular season games but I still haven't quite seen the offensive upside and composure on the puck to suggest top four NHL upside. He's not a skilled dynamo that's merely limited physically or anything but more of a decent first pass and simple two-way positional guy. He's more of a 6/7 type with no obvious projected special teams fit absent further development beyond physical maturation.

Hopefully he adds more of an offensive game and builds off of his SEL regular season finish and the few NJEC games. That along with better decisions and I'll start believing there's some real upside there.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
He did have eight points in his final 16 SEL regular season games but I still haven't quite seen the offensive upside and composure on the puck to suggest top four NHL upside. He's not a skilled dynamo that's merely limited physically or anything but more of a decent first pass and simple two-way positional guy. He's more of a 6/7 type with no obvious projected special teams fit absent further development beyond physical maturation.

Hopefully he adds more of an offensive game and builds off of his SEL regular season finish and the few NJEC games. That along with better decisions and I'll start believing there's some real upside there.

Stop trying to knock my rose-colored Capitals Prospect Uber Alles glasses off my face, Langway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->