Washing gear....

Happy Pony

Jan 17, 2006
Columbus
And don't listen to the guy who said to not clean your stuff, as someone mentioned you can get infections like Joe Thornton among other ppl. It's actually getting to be quite common according to a local paper article here recently.

Why not? If you don't mind the smell then why wash it? As long as your hang your gear up after playing it will be fine. The smell is normal, it means you played hard!

And FTR, I was hospitalized last fall due to an infection from sweat getting into a cut on my foot so I can speak from experience.

Maybe it's just being macho but something isn't right about my gear smelling like roses.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
your gear will never smell like roses, but that doesnt mean you have to let it smell like sweaty ass. i guess we are starting to learn about people's levels of hygiene ;)

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
And don't listen to the guy who said to not clean your stuff, as someone mentioned you can get infections like Joe Thornton among other ppl. It's actually getting to be quite common according to a local paper article here recently.

True, it's easier then people think. All it takes is a scratch or hangnail and end up with a staph infection. Pretty nasty stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staphylococcus_aureus

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
The worst part about smelly equipment is putting it on. After it's been on for a bit, it's not too bad, but putting it on is just brutal.

EDIT:
http://www.metrowestcleangear.com/HealthArticles/health_skin_infections_in_NHL.htm
Here's a good article about what has happened to some players because of bacteria infested equipment.

Infections that began as simple cuts or irritations have turned far more dangerous, forcing Toronto's Ed Belfour to the bench, Boston's Joe Thornton to the operating table and Toronto's Mikael Renberg to the point that amputation was considered.
The latest casualty was Detroit's Darren McCarty, who just days ago went on injured reserve for 2-3 weeks after suffering an infection in his elbow.

Last edited:

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Why not? If you don't mind the smell then why wash it? As long as your hang your gear up after playing it will be fine. The smell is normal, it means you played hard!

And FTR, I was hospitalized last fall due to an infection from sweat getting into a cut on my foot so I can speak from experience.

Maybe it's just being macho but something isn't right about my gear smelling like roses.

......even without washing you can still get something nasty and seeing how you got an infection idk why you still refuse to wash:shakehead But that's just me, I guess if you wanna be the guy no one wants to sit next to then fine with me:D There's always one on every team. And who ever said smelling like roses? It's just keeping your gear clean and non-stinky, still got a smell to it that ain't like roses but probably don't reek like some. Plus, it means nothing about hard work, I think I'm one of the harder working guys out there but I honestly don't sweat as much as some and definitely don't come out of games dripping.

RangerSteve

......even without washing you can still get something nasty and seeing how you got an infection idk why you still refuse to wash:shakehead But that's just me, I guess if you wanna be the guy no one wants to sit next to then fine with me:D There's always one on every team. And who ever said smelling like roses? It's just keeping your gear clean and non-stinky, still got a smell to it that ain't like roses but probably don't reek like some. Plus, it means nothing about hard work, I think I'm one of the harder working guys out there but I honestly don't sweat as much as some and definitely don't come out of games dripping.

I think everyone has some type of stench, but there definitely is that one guy who goes above and beyond the call of duty as far as not even airing out their equipment.

MikeD

Jul 3, 2006
Buffalo NY
www.hawksice.com

Your gear doesnt have to smell like roses. Some process' leave no odor. When hte gear stinks its because of those little critters starting to eat at your gear and YOU while your wearing it. If you can find a local OZONE cleaning system go for it. Esporta can cause skin irritation/rashes ESP if the stuff is still a bit damp when you get it back. OZONE cleaning takes less than 1 hour and your stuff never gets wet.

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca
been hanging my gear in the basement above the dehumidifier since i can remember.
if the stuff is still "ripe" put a dryer sheet in your bag, (it will act kinda like an air freshener;))
i wash the gear in the washer about every 6 months( i play about three times a week) it takes about three loads to do , but if you stuff it in you'll damage the gear .
as for infections . i go bare foot in my skates (and have been for about 30 years now or since my dad was putting them on for me)and i've never had an infection. even when i got 12 stitches on my inner ankle from being stepped on.
one other note. i do a lot of amateur skate work on my teamates skates(i own a sharpening machine)and i notice most guys dont remove the footliner from the skate after they play. bad mistake, the footliner traps moisture in and the skate will deteriorate much quicker this way. always remove the footliner from your skates after skating.it will also help with the smell (slightly).

The Juice

Feb 28, 2003
Huntington Beach, Ca
Visit site
I use the washer with a little bleach and then throw it in the dryer or let it dry in the sun. Works like a champ, but the bath tub washing is disgusting especially if you have washed your gear in awhile the water turns brown and your gear just soaks in it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad