Was Vinny Lecavalier's career a slight disappointment?

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Was it? - a slight disappointment? - 1998 first overall pick.

He did had a good career, 400+goals, 1200+ games, 900+ points
won the Rocket once in his career, 2004 Stanley Cup champion
World Cup gold medal winner.

But also,...
Career +/- -140, his 0.78 ppg is good, but is it great?, for 1st overall pick.

Really never shined in the play-offs. Compared to his team mates,
there were always more than one better in his team in multiple play-offs,
Brad Richards,Marty St.Louis,Ruslan Fedotenko,Fredrik Modin,
Paul Ranger,Dan Boyle...

He is 3rd or probably 4th best player from the 98 draft
Pavel Datsyuk&Brad Richards, 1st and 2nd best.

Now, i wan't to clear something, slight disappointment does not = bust :)

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
At his best he was very good, but it took him a long time to hit his peak and unfortunately he didn't maintain it very long. The Cooke hit obviously didn't help his career.

I don't know if you can put too much stock in his career plus/minus. He played on some absolutely brutal teams early on and the Lightning generally weren't very good outside of 2010-2011 in his final seasons with the team.

Overall, I guess you can say his career is somewhat disappointing in relation to the hype and his pure talent.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
My man mentioned Paul Ranger with those other guys :laugh:. This is literally the only thing I can recall him doing in the NHL. Damn shame he didn't score.

cropped_RwkYexv.gif

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I thought so, he never did turn into that player I thought he would be given his size/skill level aside from one short period of time where he was that type of player.

He left me wanting for a lot of his career

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Could even say a big disappointment for some (with how high is 16 year's old 102 point in 64 games was rate by some and what always felt like a bit of over hyping, than an equivalent non-Canadian prospect would have probably not had).

Only 2 top 10 in points, a prime of what 8 season that ended at 30 year's old.

Is it not related to a significant Wrist/Hand injury ?

Reactions: wetcoast

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Great career overall, but yes he was a bit disappointing. In the first place, it took him longer than it should have to make his mark. He was nothing special until his fifth season, which is a slower development than you'd expect for a player of his size. And then after his two fabulous seasons (2006-07, 2007-08) he was never the same again. Those two years, he was only 10 points off leading the whole League in scoring, and places 3rd overall to Thornton and Ovechkin.

He contributed a lot to the '04 Cup win and again he was great in the 2011 playoffs, but after spring 2007 he was never again an elite player, but for little dribs and drabs (and the '11 playoff run).

With low expectations, we'd look at his career as a huge success, but given the expectations he had as a 1st overall who did show elite ability for a few years, it has to be a bit disappointing in the final analysis.

GlitchMarner

Typical malevolent, devious & vile Maple Leafs fan
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Could even say a big disappointment for some (with how high is 16 year's old 102 point in 64 games was rate by some and what always felt like a bit of over hyping, than an equivalent non-Canadian prospect would have probably not had).

Only 2 top 10 in points, a prime of what 8 season that ended at 30 year's old.

Is it not related to a significant Wrist/Hand injury ?

I don't think it's that big a deal that he only finished in the top ten in points twice. So did Sundin, but Sundin was consistently a high-level scorer regardless, with six top 15 scoring finishes, eight top 20 scoring finishes and 12 top 30 scoring finishes.

The bigger problem is how much of a drop-off there is between Vinny's best two seasons and his other ones. I haven't looked, but I doubt he was even a top 20 or top 30 scorer very often.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
The bigger problem is how much of a drop-off there is between Vinny's best two seasons and his other ones. I haven't looked, but I doubt he was even a top 20 or top 30 scorer very often.

That's the issue. He finished 3rd and 6th in scoring at his peak. Then he was only in the top 30 three more times in his career (17th in 2003, 27th in 2004, 26th in 2010). To put that into context, those five top-30 finishes are as many as Mike Ribeiro, and fewer than Doug Weight, Ray Whitney and Jason Spezza.

Reactions: bobholly39

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
I don't think it's that big a deal that he only finished in the top ten in points twice. So did Sundin, but Sundin was consistently a high-level scorer regardless, with six top 15 scoring finishes, eight top 20 scoring finishes and 12 top 30 scoring finishes.

For Lecavlier's career, he finished in the top 20 in scoring only three times.

Reactions: overg and Vanzig

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011

That's the issue. He finished 3rd and 6th in scoring at his peak. Then he was only in the top 30 three more times in his career (17th in 2003, 27th in 2004, 26th in 2010).

Yeah you are right, 2 top 10 isn't that bad even relative to the expectation (if we remove the hyperhype).

2 top 10 is the same has Shanahan, Turgeon, Lafontaine, Sundin, Hossa, Mogilny, D.Sedin, Staal, Zetterberg, that had great career.

The number of top 20/25/30 is the much bigger issue here add 4 more of them there and he would have not been a disappointement.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Great career overall, but yes he was a bit disappointing. In the first place, it took him longer than it should have to make his mark. He was nothing special until his fifth season, which is a slower development than you'd expect for a player of his size. And then after his two fabulous seasons (2006-07, 2007-08) he was never the same again. Those two years, he was only 10 points off leading the whole League in scoring, and places 3rd overall to Thornton and Ovechkin.

He contributed a lot to the '04 Cup win and again he was great in the 2011 playoffs, but after spring 2007 he was never again an elite player, but for little dribs and drabs (and the '11 playoff run).

With low expectations, we'd look at his career as a huge success, but given the expectations he had as a 1st overall who did show elite ability for a few years, it has to be a bit disappointing in the final analysis.

I wouldn't say a lot, players like Richards, St.Louis, Fedotenko, Modin... those contributed a lot
Yes Vinny did score quite many points, but...when compared to his team mates and to other players in those play-offs...
wasn't really that special in that Stanley Cup run.

And what comes to his 2011 play-offs...there were sill two better lightning players. . It was almost always like that thou
there were always better players in his team and in the NHL.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
Not disappointing at all. What percentage of first overall picks put up better career numbers? Less than half for sure.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
He certainly didn't live up to the hype, so yes disappointing in that sense.

But it's still a great career overall. He probably won't make the Hall of Fame - but it's not completely unrealistic to suggest he could have a shot. Anyway you slice that, that's a pretty great career.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Not disappointing at all. What percentage of first overall picks put up better career numbers? Less than half for sure.

Not every 1st overall pick is the same, when it comes to expectations, so you can't blanket compare them all like that. Lemieux was more hyped than Joe Murphy and Wendel Clark. Lindros was probably a bit more hyped than Štefan. Crosby was probably slightly more hyped than Nugent-Hopkins. McDavid was a little more hyped than Yakupov. And when it comes to players being disappointments, junior track records and hype matters, a lot. What you do in juniors is kinda the whole point of the whole hype.

I'm not a draft nerd, at all, but from what I understand Lecavalier was pretty hyped. Not Lemieux, Lindros, Crosby, McDavid hyped, but still pretty hyped. I don't know where that whole Michael Jordan of Hockey thing came from, but it sounds like some bar to clear at least. Lecavalier being a tall big-bodied, clean-cut, good looking, nice going good old Canadian boy probably had something to do with it, along with his numbers of course.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
tbh, after watching his first few years the career he ended up having surprised me in how good it was.

i did not see him having a long career ahead of him, and certainly not peaking as a legit superstar for a few years.

1,200 games, 950 points, a rocket, and 100 points were all beyond my wildest expectations for him. esp compared to young thornton, who looked lost too but you knew he had it in him. young vinny, i didn’t at all.

Reactions: bigtim1988

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
There is truth that deception wise, in is era he look really good:

Between Lindros and Kovalchuck, the success rate was not spectacular, enough that the criteria could became, if you achieve to play a lot of season in a relevant role (top 4 D, top 6 F, number 1 goaltender) that more than good enough to not be a bad first pick overall.

There is only Thorton clearly above him during that 9 year's spam.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad