Was this great season by the Dallas Stars predictable ?

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
upload_2020-9-23_11-37-37.png

Seems like this great season came out of the blue.

Is that wrong ?

(good luck I'm rooting for Dallas)

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
They aren't a great regular season team so it's all about whether or not they can make it to the playoffs. Part of me likes to think it was predictable but then the other part of me also is shocked the Stars were able to score enough goals to somehow make it this far and actually get some puck luck for once

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
If you think about it logically ... and I normally hate when Gaglardi does this like he has often ... but Dallas did go to Game 7 against STL last year. They added a very solid veteran in Pavelski and took some chances on Perry and Sekera while retaining the majority of the team that played in the playoffs for them.

That wild regular season I don't think could predict this post-season run. If you just look at taking a decent team and adding, it's not that surprising. The regular season seems like those moves didn't work, but somehow in the post-season, they clicked.

It's not like some bottom feeder all of a sudden made the Stanley Cup final like many people are pretending (not saying the person asking the question is).

Reactions: LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I don’t think anyone expected us to be in the Finals this year, but it isn’t a total surprise. We’ve had a team good enough to appear as a dark horse at least for several years now. A run over the course of our window was probably expected at some point, just hard to predict which year specifically.

The style and make-up of our team really benefitted from the long break, so once we got our game going, this slowly became more and more of a possibility. This is the team that for 80% of the year was neck and neck with Tampa for the best record in the NHL. In that sense it isn’t particularly surprising.

Predictable? Probably not. Surprising? Not super.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad