Was this actually Pettersson’s first empty net point in all his 189 NHL games playoffs included?

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Eriksson and Pearson historically transformed into prime McDavids as soon as the opponents goalie left the ice so they got the bulk of the defend the 6 on 5 time over Pettersson's line.

Reactions: Szechwan

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
He's off to a late start but someday he might reach Blake Wheeler/ Brad Marchand levels of empty-net scoring greatness.

Reactions: Reality Czech

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
zmxr47lrxjk61.jpg

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
That's actually kind of insane. Im assuming the Canucks tend to use other players at the end of games?

I've always thought they should show empty net points in a separate category instead of counting them into overall points. People like to compare players with points and in the long run this can make a pretty sizable difference.

For example in the same timeframe Scheifele has 19, Aho 17 and Kopitar 10.

Someone might say look, Scheifele is clearly the superior offensive player, he has 185 pts in 174 games since 18-19, that's 1.06 PPG! Pettersson only has 152 pts in 164 games!

Well take away EN's and Scheifele has 166 pts in 174 games and Petey 153 in 164, making the PPG's 0.95 and 0.93 respectively.

And im not arguing who is the better player, but you get what i mean. A lot of context gets lost in points, not even just empty nets.

Yeah empty net goals are important but it's a game of defending and sealing the deal at that point, instead of creating offense and trying to score on a goalie which is what points is used to measure. I'd much prefer if we valued a players ability to put the puck in the empty net separately.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
He's a C, and like most young centres, he wasn't great on the draw in his first couple seasons. His two way game was quite good last year, so I suspect it's his FO% that kept him off the ice more so than his defense. Doesn't make sense to slot him on the wing, we we have guys like Miller and Pearson who are great along the boards.

He was around 41% in his first to years, he's up to 45% this year. Give him another season and he'll be regularly closing out games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->