Was there a worse draft than the 1999 draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saa25

Jun 7, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
1. Patrik Stefan
2. Daniel Sedin
3. Henrik Sedin
4. Pavel Brendl
5. Tim Connolly
6. Brian Finley
7. Kris Beech
8. Taylor Pyatt
9. Jamie Lundmark
10. Branislav Mezei
11. Oleg Saprykin
12. Denis Shvidki

No impact players among the top 12... what went wrong?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Can't complain from a Penguins standpoint

18 R Konstantin Koltsov
51 F Matt Murley
86 G Sebastien Caron
115 F Ryan Malone
157 D Vladimir Malenkikh
204 R Tom Kostopoulos
233 D Darcy Robinson

Those guys are still in the organization...Koltsov has emerged as one of our most entertaining and hardest working players...but still is extremely raw, Murley is looking like a solid third liner in the future playing in Wilkes-Barre(started out in Pittsburgh), Caron was on the All-Rookie team last year, Malone has been our MVP this season, Malenkykh may or may never come over to North America but is a damn solid defenseman in Russia right now, Kostopolous is looking like a nice third liner right now and works harder than few I've ever seen, and Robinson...well Robinson is a nice depth defenseman for Wilkes-Barre...not to mention we also have Kris Beech, Michal Sivek, and Ross Lupaschuk from that draft in the Jagr trade.

Wingboy2999

Feb 16, 2003
Pittsburgh
Visit site
saa25 said:
1. Patrik Stefan
2. Daniel Sedin
3. Henrik Sedin
4. Pavel Brendl
5. Tim Connolly
6. Brian Finley
7. Kris Beech
8. Taylor Pyatt
9. Jamie Lundmark
10. Branislav Mezei
11. Oleg Saprykin
12. Denis Shvidki

The Sedin's aren't that bad.....

leafaholix*

The 1999 draft was full of busts... but the 1996 draft was pretty pathetic from the first pick to the last.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
they way the sedins have played in the last 20 games, they are beginning to show why they were taken 2nd and 3rd overall. however, they need to be consistent for a longer period of time. maybe in a couple of years, the '99 draft might not look so weak. but i agree, right now there aren't any impact players out of that group.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
I'd have to rank the 1996 draft as worse than the 1999 draft right now, as there are still a lot of players from the 1999 draft who may indeed pan out as expected. Stefan, the Sedins, Connolly, Pyatt, Lundmark, and Saprykin to name a few.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Wingboy2999 said:
Who was taken in the 1996 draft?

Player Pos Claimed By Amateur Club
1 PHILLIPS, Chris D OTT Prince Albert
2 ZYUZIN, Andrei D SJ Salavat Yulayev UFA
3 DUMONT, Jean-Pierre RW NYI Val d'Or
4 VOLCHKOV, Alexander C LA-WSH Barrie
5 JACKMAN, Richard D DAL Sault Ste. Marie
6 DEVEREAUX, Boyd C EDM Kitchener
7 RASMUSSEN, Erik C BUF U. of Minnesota
8 AITKEN, Johnathan D HFD-BOS Medicine Hat
9 SALEI, Ruslan D ANA Las Vegas
10 WARD, Lance D NJ Red Deer
11 FOCHT, Dan D PHX Tri-City
12 HOLDEN, Josh C VAN Regina
13 MORRIS, Derek D CGY Regina
14 REASONER, Marty C STL-EDM-STL Boston College
15 ZUBRUS, Dainius RW TOR-PHI Pembroke
16 LAROCQUE, Mario D TB Hull
17 SVEJKOVSKY, Jaroslav RW WSH Tri-City
18 HIGGINS, Matt C MTL Moose Jaw
19 DESCOTEAUX, Matthieu D BOS-EDM Shawinigan
20 NILSON, Marcus LW FLA Djurgarden Stockholm
21 STURM, Marco C CHI-SJ Landshut
22 BROWN, Jeff D NYR Sarnia
23 HILLIER, Craig G PIT Ottawa
24 BRIERE, Daniel C PHI-PHX Drummondville
25 RATCHUK, Peter D COL Shattuck St. Mary's
26 WALLIN, Jesse D DET Red Deer

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Wingboy2999 said:
Who was taken in the 1996 draft?

Not much. Derek Morris was the best first rounder in that draft. Which is kind of funny since he was ranked very poorly by Central Scouting.

Put it this way. The hockey news re-ranked every first round of every entry draft. In order of who should have been picked out of the first round players for each year. Remember Jesse Wallin? He was ranked AHEAD of about 5 or 6 guys.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Wingboy2999 said:
Wow, that was a quality draft, lol.

Oh man 1996 was terrible. I only count 13 guys from there that are in the NHL right now. And a lot of them are fringe guys like Deveraux and Jackman.

1999 wasn't that bad. No superstars but at least there are decent players there.

For Detroit they got Zetterberg. The only NHLer they got but considering they only had a few late picks that's alright.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
That 1996 draft was godawful. Craig Hillier was supposed to be a godsend to the Penguins and ended up playing 1 game...in the AHL.

The guy couldn't even make it as an ECHLer. :shakehead :madfire:

StanAjax

Jul 30, 2003
Nantes
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
The 1999 draft was full of busts... but the 1996 draft was pretty pathetic from the first pick to the last.

Well, 1st round was a pity, but 2nd round proved to be very effective for the Canadiens : 4 players of our current line-up where drafted back then!!!!

Begin 40
Bulis 43
Garon 44
Dagenais 47

Dagenais re-entered the draft 2 years later though......

But that's not pathetic for a 2nd round : 2 decent wingers, a great back-up with starter potential and an enforcer. :rolly:

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Don't be so negative........I still see a lot of promise in Hillier.....He may never win a Vezina, but he has a solid future....... :rolly:

It's sad, but I still remember what room I was in at Purdue Univeristy trying to follow this draft. Let's not forget, at least from a Pens fans perspective the wonderful swapping of 2 2nd rnd picks to New Jersey for their 2nd rnd pick to take the highly touted (by Jagr's Dad...seriously) D-man from Klando...Pavel Skrbek. Good thing the Devils only took Josh DeWolf and some kid named Colin White....The latter, White, he never panned out did he? This was the near end to poor drafting by the Pens.....we still had 1997 (in Pittsburgh, which I attended with my Dad) to look forward too...Names Dome, Robert Dome! :D

Deleted member 3032

Well, it is turning out to be a slow draft class to develop, at least. The Sedin's however seem to be a lot better this year in the few games I've seen them in. I used to think they may be able to become 2nd liners tops, but now I'm thinking they should at least be 2nd liners, if not 1st. Once they get their consistancy down they should be really good.

Stefan has been disappointing, but I know many arer holding out hope that he develops like Bonk did. If so he'd be a great pick, but it's hard to project a kind of development like that.

Brendl is playing fairly well in Carolina from what I understand, so maybe he is starting to turn it around? Haven't seen him this year, though.

Connolly has a lot of promise, but he just seems to have stagnated. A serious concussion that he hasn't gotten over yet doesn't help, either.

Lundmark may be able to turn out as a 2nd liner, but I doubt he does with the Rangers. They handle youth very poorly from what I've seen.

Pyatt is the kind of player that we just won't know for a while. He should at least be able to be a good third liner, but if that's all he becomes it won't look so good for the 8th overall pick.

Other then that the rest don't look so great. If the above players turn out, it won't look so bad either, though. It is sad though that 5 years after the draft and only two players in the top 12 look like impact players to me (Henrik and Daniel), with a few maybes.

X-SHARKIE

1999 was a pretty weak class. NHL regulars were produced but not many at all made a big impact. Stefan shows no reason for being #1 overall, now before the draft I agreed with the pick. Brendl was a steal at the 4th overall spot I thought now look at him. I think this draft looked solid before the draft but players have devoloped badly. Sedin twins look great but dont score regulary. Havlat was an excelent pick and has played very well. 1996 was worse though.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
saa25 said:
1. Patrik Stefan
2. Daniel Sedin
3. Henrik Sedin
4. Pavel Brendl
5. Tim Connolly
6. Brian Finley
7. Kris Beech
8. Taylor Pyatt
9. Jamie Lundmark
10. Branislav Mezei
11. Oleg Saprykin
12. Denis Shvidki

From a Blues point of view I love that draft. :handclap:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
TexSen said:
Ottawa gladly keeps Havlat over any of those in that list of 99'ers and Phillips over any on the list of 96'ers.

No way do they take Phillips over Morris. And if we are including non first-rounders, several other players would also go ahead of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->