Was there a Havlat - Spezza - Hossa line

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Havlat never played well on the LW.

We had 3 RWs, and while they could sort of work on the PP, didn't seem to work at ES.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Gawd, if the Sens had a center in Spezza's league in those days it would have been crazy.

CarolAlt.jpg

It got pretty crazy.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
If I recall correctly, Yashin was a shooting centre, as opposed to more of a playmaker.

Well he wasn't about to pass to Dackell, that's for sure.

Assuming a guy who was runner up for the Hart qualifies as in "Spezza's league".:dunno:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If I recall correctly, Yashin was a shooting centre, as opposed to more of a playmaker.

If we want to really be accurate, he was a "skate into the offensive zone while carrying two of the other team's players on his back, clawing away 3 holds and a hook, and still finding a way to get his wicked wrister off and past the goalie" kind of center.

Say what you want about his off-ice warts, Yash was BUILT for the clutch & grab era, and earned his Hart runner-up status. He wasn't nicknamed "The Russian Bear" for nothing.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
If we want to really be accurate, he was a "skate into the offensive zone while carrying two of the other team's players on his back, clawing away 3 holds and a hook, and still finding a way to get his wicked wrister off and past the goalie" kind of center.

Say what you want about his off-ice warts, Yash was BUILT for the clutch & grab era, and earned his Hart runner-up status. He wasn't nicknamed "The Russian Bear" for nothing.

Which is why he sucked in the playoffs. Instead of working around the clutching and grabbing, he worked through it. Which is fine in the regular season, but in the playoffs, when the reffing was different, it was impossible.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yashin was a monster...I wouldn't say he was as good as Spezza is, but he was very, very good. Cancer though.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Let me get this right

So the line only appeared during the power play?

What were the even strength lines then? Kinda hard to find since Havlat wasn't exactly the healthiest

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Random-White-Alfie
Random-Bonk-Hossa
Random-Fisher-Havlat
Random-Van Allen-Neil

Random being random players that I don't really remember off the top of my head, and don't feel like looking up.

Northern Neighbour

Feb 27, 2008
somewhere south of the equator
Let me get this right

So the line only appeared during the power play?

What were the even strength lines then? Kinda hard to find since Havlat wasn't exactly the healthiest

The three never played together on a line, whether at ES or on the PP.

Hossa was paired with Bonk for most of his Senators' career with Arvedsson and Varada as the primary LWs.

Havlat played with Fisher and Schaefer for most of his Senators' career, but he did play a bit with Spezza in Spezza's 2nd season. I think Spezza took Fisher's spot on that line after Fisher got hurt.

Smolinski, White, and Alfredsson made up the other line if I recall correctly. Later that year, it was Bondra, Smolinski, and Alfredsson.

On the PP, I think the first unit was Havlat, Bonk, and Hossa upfront with Redden and Alfredsson on the points. Spezza played with Smolinski and Schaefer on the 2nd unit.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Random-White-Alfie
Arvedson-Bonk-Hossa
Zamuner-Fisher-Havlat
Random-Van Allen-Neil

Random being random players that I don't really remember off the top of my head, and don't feel like looking up.

I know that was a good line for us a for a while. I also remember Zamuner and Havlat having good chemistry together.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I loved Arvedson so much. That line had 3 of the best 2 way players in the league. Arvedson was a couple years away from becoming a best that put that line over the top... Then he got injured... :(

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I loved Arvedson so much. That line had 3 of the best 2 way players in the league. Arvedson was a couple years away from becoming a best that put that line over the top... Then he got injured... :(

I remember when Arvedson-bonk-hossa was ottawa's third line. Yashin and Alfie on the top two lines . . . that was a fun team to watch!

Arvedson slowed down due to his back i believe, but was one of the top defensive forwards in the league for more then a couple seasons. Bonk was pretty good in a limited role back then too, and Hossa was, well Hossa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad