Was the Schiefele hit intent to injure?

Was the Schiefele hit intent to injure?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
There's no denying it was a charge (even though he coasted into it) and suspension worthy but I am seeing alot of people say he tried to injure Evans and wasn't trying to keep the puck out of the net.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Having watched Scheifele play since his Junior days. I think he's frustrated and wants to get his team going for possibly next game.

Not commenting on the legality of the play itself just what I think he was thinking. But we can't be sure. I think he wanted to lay a big hit but not seriously injure.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Intent is so hard to figure out. Clearly he made a really bad decision to finish this hit. Looking at all factors, he did coast from the tops of the circle on, his elbow was down, his skates did come off the ice but that's hard to tell if it was just a product of his momentum. The bottom line is it appears that the principle point of contact was the head and regardless of intent, the onis is on the hitter and not the hit-ee.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Yes, if for no other reason than you don't need to catapult people to separate them from the puck. Otherwise it was a good Scott Stevens hit.. unfortunately for Schiefele, you don't get away with those these days.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Like almost every single one of these plays, I do not believe Mark Scheifele has a deep hatred for Jake Evans and wanted him to be stretchered off. Yes, he wanted to inflict pain and hit to hurt/"punish", but it is exceedingly unlikely that he deliberately meant to injure Evans.

Actual straight up unequivocal intent to injure is a very high standard that we can only really determine as spectators on the most egregious "non hockey" stuff like McSorley/Simon etc so I think it's a meaningless argument here. What matters to me is whether or not he acted recklessly and without respect for the other player on the ice and that is absolutely the case. In my opinion that's suspendable on a hit that's already illegal for charging, and in my opinion it should be a much longer suspension than the likely 1-2 games that's coming.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Did he *literally* want to injure the player? No, of course not. There are probably only a handful of incidents in the past 30 years where a player clearly wants to injure someone.

I still voted yes though. Because it was reckless, he lost his cool, and tried to hit as hard as he could in a very dangerous situation.

Reactions: rumrokh and CDN24

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
No, but it was dumb and unnecessary. I don't think he intended to hospitalize the guy, but he did want to lay him out. I'd be find with 2 games, rather than like 6 or something like that.

It's not worse than the Kadri hit, and he doesn't have the suspension history.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
That he didn't make a play for the puck, and traveling 200 feet at top speed to run a guy through, I'm sure in his mind he didn't mean to but physics says that he did.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Yes. I don’t think Scheifele wanted to see Evans stretched off, but he was 100% lashing out due to him having a bad game and the Jets losing.

Checking is meant to separate the puck from the player. The puck was already in the goal and Scheifele had nothing to gain other than dealing punishment by dishing that hit.

Reactions: rumrokh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad