Was the Lucic - Neal trade actually a win for the Flames?

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If you say so. I guess that the fact that Neal has been pretty well useless and a detriment to the team since October doesn't mean a thing then. I guess you're lucky you built up such a big cushion in October, in the standings, that scoring goals in the next 25 games don't matter too much.

He's been fine outside November. He had 10 points in 14 games in December and 6 points in 9 games before he got hurt at the end of January.

If you take out his November, he has 25 points in 36 games to go along with a -7.

Turns out players look worse when you exclude their best month and better when you exclude their worst. Who would have thought?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
He's been fine outside November. He had 10 points in 14 games in December and 6 points in 9 games before he got hurt at the end of January.

If you take out his November, he has 25 points in 36 games to go along with a -7.

Turns out players look worse when you exclude their best month and better when you exclude their worst. Who would have thought?
Neal gets paid to score goals... not pick up secondary assists that most people could get playing with the best player in the world. Neal scored 11 goals (4 in one game if I recall) in the first 14 games. Since then he's scored 8 (3 in one game?) and been the cause of a lot more opposition goals. Praising Neal's performance over the last 3-1/2 months is being disingenuous at best. Even most of your own board admits that if Neal's not on the PP he's a useless handicap. I suspect he'll be that way for the rest of the season. It's Neal's norm now. October was an aberration. Good luck trying to get decent production out of Neal for the rest of the season. I just don't see it happening. Good thing Yam is turning out to be such a star. He could save your season and get you into the playoffs. Neal sure as hell won't.

Reactions: Big guns

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Neal gets paid to score goals... not pick up secondary assists that most people could get playing with the best player in the world. Neal scored 11 goals (4 in one game if I recall) in the first 14 games. Since then he's scored 8 (3 in one game?) and been the cause of a lot more opposition goals. Praising Neal's performance over the last 3-1/2 months is being disingenuous at best. Even most of your own board admits that if Neal's not on the PP he's a useless handicap. I suspect he'll be that way for the rest of the season. It's Neal's norm now. October was an aberration. Good luck trying to get decent production out of Neal for the rest of the season. I just don't see it happening. Good thing Yam is turning out to be such a star. He could save your season and get you into the playoffs. Neal sure as hell won't.

It's a good thing he has almost three times as many goals as secondary assists then?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
It's a good thing he has almost three times as many goals as secondary assists then?
Yes it is... unfortunately for the Oilers 58% (11) of those 19 goals were scored in the first month of the season and 42% (8) were scored in the last 3-1/2 months.
Spin it any way you want to help make you feel better but Neal isn't going to be much help in your run to the playoffs and beyond, if you get there.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Yes it is... unfortunately for the Oilers 58% (11) of those 19 goals were scored in the first month of the season and 42% (8) were scored in the last 3-1/2 months.
Spin it any way you want to help make you feel better but Neal isn't going to be much help in your run to the playoffs and beyond, if you get there.

Like I said, 10 points in 14 games in December. 6 points in 9 games before he was injured in January.

The notion he's been useless since October is pure fantasy.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
How Flames fans keep circling back to this thread amazes me.....
Ummm... a Leaf/Canes fan started this thread a few days ago. Flames fans were more than happy, before this thread started up, to let it rest. And then all the BS started. Again.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Come playoff time, you'll be better off scratching Neal.

Don't think Edmonton is in a position to be scratching anyone. I still can't even remember the names of their bottom 6. No idea who they are everytime I see the lineup. Can't tell if they've changed recently or just forgettable.

LeviRoots

Feb 15, 2020

The only fantasy here is your math.

Neal had 5g and 5a in 14 games in December and had had 2 assists in 9 games in January.

Or by some sort of Oiler math did the December 31st game count twice?

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
We know the narrative to start the year when Neal was on fire, but that was obviously early season shenanigans we see with a lot of players around the NHL.

Since November 1, Neal has 8 goals and 16 points in 36 games, Lucic has 6 goals and 13 points in 40 games. Neal is playing almost 3 minutes a games more than Lucic in that time. Half of that being extra time being PP time with McDavid and Drai.

Lucic brings much more to the table than Neal as well. He hits, fights, plays hard. Neal is basically there to score points and is pacing with Lucic.

Can we now say this trade is not as lopsided as originally framed?

Oilers fan here.

It was never a lopsided trade imo. The Oilers Flames rivalry cause both sides to exaggerate.

It is a crap for crap trade. Neal/the Oilers still have the edge currently imo but the contracts are long and both will end up being bad with both most likely at times having their "good" moments.

I'm almost hoping Neals high ankle sprain takes him out the year so the Oilers keep their pick. That may well be the difference in who wins the trade. Supposed to be a good deep draft.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Oilers fan here.

It was never a lopsided trade imo. The Oilers Flames rivalry cause both sides to exaggerate.

It is a crap for crap trade. Neal/the Oilers still have the edge currently imo but the contracts are long and both will end up being bad with both most likely at times having their "good" moments.

I'm almost hoping Neals high ankle sprain takes him out the year so the Oilers keep their pick. That may well be the difference in who wins the trade. Supposed to be a good deep draft.
Exactly I hope Neal hurry up and gets 2 more goals. The 3rd rounder is the most valuable piece of the junk trade. But knowing Neal he is going to disappoint me again

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Like I said, 10 points in 14 games in December. 6 points in 9 games before he was injured in January.

The notion he's been useless since October is pure fantasy.
3 goals in November, 5 in December (he scored 3 in 1 game), and Zero in January (his last game played was January 29) and a +/- of -17 over those three months makes you delusional.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
3 goals in November, 5 in December (he scored 3 in 1 game), and Zero in January (his last game played was January 29) and a +/- of -17 over those three months makes you delusional.

12 points in 22 games with a -4 since the end of November.

It's a little ironic to throw out the word "delusional" considering the mental gymnastics being used to prop up Lucic's side.

Last edited:

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
This is an embarrassing take. The games he helped win with the goals he scored all count. Regardless of whether it was October or March. He's outplayed Lucic by miles and out-produced him by miles. I can't imagine a fan of any other team (and I'm one) that believes Calgary won this trade based on what's happened to date.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad