Was Teemu Selanne Right about Aho, Laine and Puljujarvi?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Not this year certainly. Previously I could see the point they were trying to make but still did not agree. This year I don't think that comparison could even be remotely made.
He's never had the puck control and has never driven center ice like Mario did, due to his lack of puck control in close quarters (which is magnified by how big a stick he uses). That's been true his entire career. It was always a reach built around they were both tall and offensively gifted.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
He's never had the puck control and has never driven center ice like Mario did, due to his lack of puck control in close quarters (which is magnified by how big a stick he uses). That's been true his entire career. It was always a reach built around they were both tall and offensively gifted.

You realize you're arguing a point with someone that agrees with you right?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Probably size. Aho was also one of the youngest in his draft class (~ 9 months older than Laine and Puljujarvi). Laine (in particular) and Puljujarvi were seen as highly skilled players that already had NHL size bodies.

Aho, at the time of the draft, also didn't have that 1 physical thing that stood out way above and beyond others (Like Laine's shot for instance). He was a good at a lot of things, but other than hockey sense, nothing was viewed as elite. Good skater with good speed, but wasn't viewed as a great skater (although he is fantastic skater now). He had good puck skills and good offensive skills, but they weren't viewed as elite. He had a good shot, but not elite. etc.... He didn't show any holes in his game though and his hockey sense was viewed as elite. Still, I think size is what kept him into the 2nd round.

The Canes started scouting him in 2013, reportedly thanks to information from Pitkanen, who had ties to Karpat.

Reactions: LakeLivin and DaveG

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Right now Aho is absolutely the better all-around player then Laine. I think it is still to early to count Laine out on having the better career.

At this point Pulijarvi is a boarder line NHLer. If he has a long NHL career it most likely be as a bottom 6 player not in the top 6 like Aho and Laine.

If Laine can become a complete hockey player and learn to create space for himself and be a driver on his line instead of the floater he is now he could put up 50+ goals and 100+ point seasons.

As for Aho I can see him being a perpetual 75 -100 point producer per season going forward. Aho looks like he is the best bet to have the best NHL career.

Reactions: Skeletorrr

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
At this point I just hope all of my favorite prospects don’t get drafted by Edmonton. If they’re not good enough at 18 to swim right away in the NHL they don’t seem to get much help in the development department

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Why do people who blame Oilers for Puljujärvi's lack of development forget that Oilers didn't ruin Draisaitl?
We almost ruined Draisaitl. He was shell shocked when we sent him back to junior. Took him almost 2months to get his mojo back.

I guess the easiest way to describe it is like this:

For a young defenseman, learning to stay in the NHL is a matter of banking it safely off the glass and out. If you can do this better than the veteran depth guy, you'll have a spot on the team....

.. the problem with it is leaning the style of play that 'keeps' you in the league, you aren't practicing looking up the ice and finding outlet passes, finding open ice to skate it out, looking to attack with numbers, identifying forecheckers.

The NHL is so fast, Hall once said, you had no time to think, it was almost like going off of pure muscle memory.

JP needed to develop his ability to read the play, getting to open ice, get body position on players, reading a transition, learning how to trap players low, and get the puck into dangerous areas.

Instead he's been learning to treat the puck like a hand-grenade, keep back outside the perimetre, and he did barely enough to keep himself in the league as a beleaguered depth player, rather than work on his game in the minors.

He's played so few minutes the past few seasons, he's never had the chance to even gain any traction or confidence. And due to how shitty the Oilers develop players, he's now waiver eligible next season.

He needs a solid year or more in the minors, and its doubtful all 31 teams will pass on him.

The Oilers screwed his development badly.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Why do people who blame Oilers for Puljujärvi's lack of development forget that Oilers didn't ruin Draisaitl?

Because they have ruined most of their prospects. That is why they SUCK even after humongous draft lottery luck

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Because they have ruined most of their prospects. That is why they SUCK even after humongous draft lottery luck
Players bust. It's not just the Oilers who have that problem. Other than Yak and now seemingly Puljujarvi who are the other players they supposedly ruined?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Players bust. It's not just the Oilers who have that problem. Other than Yak and now seemingly Puljujarvi who are the other players they supposedly ruined?

Schultz was rushed
Gagner was rushed.
MPS was rushed.
Cogliano.

I personally felt like RNH was rushed, but most other Oiler fans would disagree with me.

Yak and JP were most definitely rushed.

I felt like Nurse could have used a full year in the minors. He's been far from a finished product since day 1.

I don't understand why Our management absolutely refuses to let our first round picks spend a year in the minors. Even with substantial warts in their NHL games.

It seems like Yamamoto is the first 1st rounder in nearly a decade spend any time at all in the minors, and they tried everything they could to keep him on the big club completely drowning.

Reactions: stopclickbait

McRpro

Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Schultz was rushed - He was dominating the AHL.
Gagner was rushed. 49 point rookie campaign, was obviously NHL ready
MPS was rushed. Didn't play in the NHL the year after his draft
Cogliano. Spent two years after being drafted playing University hockey.
Yak and RNH were both #1 picks. Want to know the last time #1 overall pick(who wasn't a defenseman) didn';t play in the NHL the following season? Mike Modano waaay back in the 80's and that was because of a contract dispute. Every lottery team would have played them right away in the big show.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yak and RNH were both #1 picks. Want to know the last time #1 overall pick(who wasn't a defenseman) didn';t play in the NHL the following season? Mike Modano waaay back in the 80's and that was because of a contract dispute. Every lottery team would have played them right away in the big show.
I understand what historically happened. And its obtuse and f***ing stupid as shit.

RNH being a 167lbs weakling, who was clearly physically overmatched, and got injured his rookie year. Do you think that's good development?? The kid barely even improved since.

Yak needed more time seasoning and working on his defensive game in the KHL and maybe the AHL.

You realise I've actually heard from so many people 4 years into his career that Yak needs to carry a line because he's a 1st overall pick.

Even when he was putting up like 20points a season, barely treading water in the NHL, and clearly needed support and help and development time in the minors.

Yes, he was a first overall pick. Get over it. The kid was nowhere near being a finished product and needed some development time.

What an obtuse f***ing argument.

McRpro

Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I understand what historically happened. And its obtuse and ****ing stupid as ****.

RNH being a 167lbs weakling, who was clearly physically overmatched, and got injured his rookie year. Do you think that's good development?? The kid barely even improved since. He got injured by crashing into the boards after hitting a rut in the ice. Should he have not played any hockey until he got stronger? That could have happened in any league in the world.

Yak needed more time seasoning and working on his defensive game in the KHL and maybe the AHL. So what, 2 years in the KHL followed by a few in the AHL? Do you realize how ridiculous and obtuse(your favorite word) that sounds?

You realise I've actually heard from so many people 4 years into his career that Yak needs to carry a line because he's a 1st overall pick.

Even when he was putting up like 20points a season, barely treading water in the NHL, and clearly needed support and help and development time in the minors.

Yes, he was a first overall pick. Get over it. The kid was nowhere near being a finished product and needed some development time.

What an obtuse ****ing argument.

Yak busted because he's dumb as a bag of hammers. Sadly it seems like Jesse isn't any smarter. Just because a player busts doesn't mean that X amount of minor league playtime would have prevented it.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is factually incorrect. Sundin was drafted after Modano and didn't play in his D+1 year. Lindros also didn't play due to a holdout. Technically Ovi didn't either due to the lockout, but that's a reach to use as a comparable.

Puljujarvi was absolutely rushed. He should have been in the AHL or SM-Liiga full time.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Selanne said that Kakko should not go in the top 9. Let all the GM's picking 1 through 9 know would you? Thanks.

McRpro

Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
This is factually incorrect. Sundin was drafted after Modano and didn't play in his D+1 year. Lindros also didn't play due to a holdout. Technically Ovi didn't either due to the lockout, but that's a reach to use as a comparable.

Puljujarvi was absolutely rushed. He should have been in the AHL or SM-Liiga full time.
Ya you're right about Lindros and Ovi of course they would have played in their D+1 years barring those circumstances. And Sundin IIRC had some military service to fulfill.

I haven't mentioned Jesse because he was rushed. Clearly not ready for the NHL and I doubt he ever will be. At least not in a scoring role.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Ya you're right about Lindros and Ovi of course they would have played in their D+1 years barring those circumstances. And Sundin IIRC had some military service to fulfill.

I haven't mentioned Jesse because he was rushed. Clearly not ready for the NHL and I doubt he ever will be. At least not in a scoring role.
Yakupov I think was just dumb. I don't think he was developed properly, but its hard to put that entirely on the teams developmental strategy. RNH is a weird one. I think similar to how the Leafs developed Marner would have been beneficial to him with him repeating junior for another year, but he had a strong rookie year (although riding a significant wave of puck luck). I'd say the same about Sam Gagner. The issues with the Oilers draft and developing is obviously more apparent with guys like MSP, Gagner, and the lack of ability to develop any day 2 picks for almost a decade. Separating drafting and development though is nearly impossible. It's likely both need to be significantly addressed.

The current Oilers are in a weird predicament, where in many ways they are pressured to play win now, because of the talent of McDavid and Drai. So, it is hard to pitch a slow reset, especially to a player like McDavid who is clearly frustrated and fans who have tolerated these 10 years. So, while it may be smarter to send certain young guys to overripen at lower levels, the state of their team depth leads them to rush these guys because they are better than the immediate option. So, while it makes the immediate team slightly better, it probably isn't a solid developmental strategy.

Reactions: McRpro

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yak busted because he's dumb as a bag of hammers. Sadly it seems like Jesse isn't any smarter. Just because a player busts doesn't mean that X amount of minor league playtime would have prevented it.

Well my thoughts on it are this:

They both look beleaguered, because the NHL game is too fast for them. They have no clue how to process the speed of the game.

What I feel the minors does, is allows them to acclimate to the plays unravelling at a slower pace, and allows them to commit things to muscular memory. Like finding open ice, finding seams, reading turnovers, when is safe to cheat for offense, understand broken plays, or how to break plays up.

Both players had so much skill, and speed, yet look so lost on the ice.

I think a year or two in the minors would have done wonders for them both.

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
Was this obviously true when they were teenage kids on the same line together, and Aho was actually a year older than the rest?

I’m honestly asking because I never watched them together.

Obviously just some highlights from back when it was pulju and laine who looked to become god tier but aho was also really good as their center.

Id say back then it was laine >= pulju > aho projected.

Oh and they were underaged ^^

Man i miss this laine he had such fire! And its funny hearing the commentators raving about pulju. After this tournament pulju also won gold at some turney but after that he basically stopped producing points internationally ..

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I'd take Aho. Laine could recover but I worry about his mental make up. That kid being ruined in Edmonton? Not sure he ever had a chance. Laine has no good excuses though.

Reactions: Caitlyn Jenner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad