Was Teemu Selanne Right about Aho, Laine and Puljujarvi?

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Aho's great. Lets see how this works out though. People were crowning Laine as the new Rocket Richard / greatest scorer of his generation earlier in the season. Things chance.

Hogan86

Jun 21, 2016
Boy what on earth happened to Pulijarvi
The Edmonton Oilers.

Ruining draft picks since the late 90's. Have also been a team known to make poor selections.
Their 1st round picks from 97-00 played a combined 80 games.

From drafts between 2004 to 2012 they have traded away 8 of their first round picks. Alot of the Oilers failures have been placed on Chiarelli, but they have had questionable management decisions now for almost 2 decades.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Laine could still be better but he's certainly got his work cut out for him at this point

....which is something he seems to be allergic to

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Boy what on earth happened to Pulijarvi

Edmonton happened

Take a look at how they ""developed"" him by sitting him on the bench, and it's no wonder he has sucked

He should've been in Finland for 2016-17 in a maximum role, and then in the AHL in the biggest role possible for 2017-18

There is absolutely no sense in playing a young prospect 8-12 minutes a game and sitting him in the press box / sending him down for a couple of games every so often.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
My Finnish friend Juha said that Kakko is "an *******, but in a healthy way". Not sure what that means but based on his highlight reel and interviews I'd say that he's a confident fella and knows what he's capable of. Brings character and a winning attitude.

He sure as hell has the will, desire and confidence to do it all by himself if no one else is stepping up.

His biggest weaknesses:

-skating (speed, agility, quickness, not balance)
-quick plays / passes / decisions

He likes to sometimes hang on to the puck too long, and pretty much never does quick little one-touch-passes like the Sedins.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Aho's great. Lets see how this works out though. People were crowning Laine as the new Rocket Richard / greatest scorer of his generation earlier in the season. Things chance.

Laine has had a problem with his off-season training.

If that changes for this summer, he might explode offensively next year.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Aho was always ahead of both Pulju and Laine in juniors, no idea why Pulju was ahead him even they played in same team and same line it was always Aho who was ahead of points

Aho
2011-12
2.png
Kärpät U16
Jr. C SM-sarja Q8910194|
2.png
Kärpät U16
Jr. C SM-sarja2826325822|Playoffs883118
2.png
Kärpät U18
Jr. B SM-sarja40224|
2012-13
2.png
Kärpät U16
Jr. C SM-sarja Q121314|
2.png
Kärpät U16
Jr. C SM-sarja00000|Playoffs9615218
2.png
Kärpät U18
Jr. B SM-sarja3828326032|
2.png
Kärpät U20
Jr. A SM-liiga522401|Playoffs50112-3
31.png
Finland U16 (all)
International-Jr523521|
2013-14
2.png
Kärpät U18
Jr. B SM-sarja23360|
2.png
Kärpät U20
Jr. A SM-liiga442534591828|Playoffs124812108
2.png
Kärpät
Liiga301101|
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Pulju

Reactions: eviohh26

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Aho was never talked in media, was never hyped. Maybe because he was smaller?
He was smaller. He also wasn't that much of a standout at the time of the draft. A big part of a players NHL success is their drive to be the best. Look at the unheralded Kucherov. Aho has it in spades. That's something that's hard to assess in young players. Guys like Yakupov and Drouin are just so much better that their IQ & drive seem irrelevant. Another factor is development. The Hurricanes developed Aho just right. Now he's surrounded by great young talent, and will be passing to Svech for the next 10 years if all goes well.

Laine was a different type of a prospect all together. A 6'5" kid, with flowing blond hair, superman image, and a crazy personality. Seemed like that elusive Ovie 2.0 guy. But he ain't got Ovie's mental toughness, at least not yet. I refuse to give up on my boy. When he gets it all together, he should take over as the great goal scorer in the league.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Huh, I remember him comparing Laine to Mario. Which doesn't work even stylistically so far in the NHL.

Still clutching on to that eh. The comparison was in their play styles....not in level of "greatness". I've never made that comparison myself but lets not rewrite history to scratch your itch.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Laine had a bad year. The first two he was the best of the three with Aho just barley behind. Pulijarvi has a ways to go just to be an NHL player

Skeletorrr

May 15, 2011
Finland
I actually thought that Aho would have the best rookie season of the three, but by second or third season he would be surpassed by Laine and Poolparty.
He was and still is clearly the most complete player of the three and I was very surprised to see him doing so well as a center (seeing how Mikael Granlund couldn't really cut it before him).

I'm not surprised how well he's progressed - I'm surprised how badly Laine and Poolparty have regressed.

Reactions: behemolari

ijuka

May 14, 2016
He sure as hell has the will, desire and confidence to do it all by himself if no one else is stepping up.

His biggest weaknesses:

-skating (speed, agility, quickness, not balance)
-quick plays / passes / decisions

He likes to sometimes hang on to the puck too long, and pretty much never does quick little one-touch-passes like the Sedins.
Disagree, he's got very fast decision making under pressure, very different from Laine for example.
I actually thought that Aho would have the best rookie season of the three, but by second or third season he would be surpassed by Laine and Poolparty.
He was and still is clearly the most complete player of the three and I was very surprised to see him doing so well as a center (seeing how Mikael Granlund couldn't really cut it before him).

I'm not surprised how well he's progressed - I'm surprised how badly Laine and Poolparty have regressed.
On the bolded, yep. Development's essentially been nonexistent for both. Especially with Laine, he honestly has looked worse every season. Definitely not the curve I expected for him.

Aho's improved season to season, I expected that for the two others as well. Even if Aho were to become the best in the end - That wouldn't have surprised me.

Last edited:

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
Aho was always ahead of both Pulju and Laine in juniors, no idea why Pulju was ahead him even they played in same team and same line it was always Aho who was ahead of points

Aho
Pulju
Aho is a year older than Pulju. If you compare Pulju's seasons to what Aho did the season before that, you can see he was quite a bit ahead

Reactions: 1OApick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad