Was Suter that good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovy274Hart

Jul 9, 2004
Shaolin
www.battleofny.com
I thought he was only bad in one game and that was against Belarus. But the whole team played badly. In the other games, I thought he played well. He was one of the only D-men who was reliable in both ends. And he was excellent at carrying the puck out with guys on him. I think he's going to be really good.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Are you asking this because Suter was named to the Tourney All-Star team??? If this is the case (I'm merely assuming you are) i think he was named because he lead all d-men in points... plus he did log a ton of minutes for the US also.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
letterH said:
I only saw 3 US games but I can not belive Suter was better than Weber. Opinions?

I'm not just considering Weber, but I definitely wouldn't have picked Suter as the second d-man. This isn't to say he did terrible as he did well and certainly lead his team's backend by a large margin. However, he shouldn't have been picked as the second-best and that's a sure thing.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
In any case, Weber looked damned good. The early penalty in the finals aside, his discipline was outstanding, and let Phaneuf go head-hunting without worrying that his partner might not back him up. Nashville fans should be happy.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
imo, no suter wasn't.

however, canada won gold and i'm sure weber would much rather be a champion than an all star.

and a big reason why canada won is because of shea weber !!!!

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
I'm sure it was just politics. The tournament was in the USA, so they had to have an American player. It's obvious to anyone who watched that Weber was better than Suter, unless you approach it from a statistical perspective.

If this was in Belarus, Kostitsyn would have been selected. If this was in the Czech Republic, Olesz would have been selected. If this was in Slovakia, Meszaros would have been selected. Etc.

chicpea*

Suter's pick was a joke. What was his +/- ? He played maybe 2 good games. No GREAT games. I won't even mention the game where he was minus 4. But hey, getting 8pts apparently means something to the selection commitee. Even if your team is in 4th place. No matter, we all know that Weber was a tonne better, hands down. Congrats to the nephew of Gary.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
chicpea said:
Suter's pick was a joke. What was his +/- ?

No player on earth would have a decent +/- playing with Likens who is the worst hockey player on planet earth. IMO Suter was the best defenseman I saw (I never got to see Canada play). He was about the only bright spot on Team USA next to Stafford and Kessel.

Faaxinho

Dec 2, 2003
Tampere, Finland
kmad said:
I'm sure it was just politics. The tournament was in the USA, so they had to have an American player. It's obvious to anyone who watched that Weber was better than Suter, unless you approach it from a statistical perspective.

If this was in Belarus, Kostitsyn would have been selected. If this was in the Czech Republic, Olesz would have been selected. If this was in Slovakia, Meszaros would have been selected. Etc.
Agree with this one.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
chicpea said:
Suter's pick was a joke. What was his +/- ? He played maybe 2 good games. No GREAT games. I won't even mention the game where he was minus 4. But hey, getting 8pts apparently means something to the selection commitee. Even if your team is in 4th place. No matter, we all know that Weber was a tonne better, hands down. Congrats to the nephew of Gary.

agreed with barnaby. to cite plus\minus as a justification of suter is borderline ridiculous, and pretty myopic. if you in fact saw all of the games...you can pretty much pinpoint each goal to being a blown coverage on the part of jeff likens, or in some cases..brian lee. Aside from two bad passes that lead to goals...Suter played a terrific tournament, and along with Casey Borer...was about the only thing that kept some of those games from getting even uglier.

I'm not concerned, overall. Suter has been the best defenseman on one of the(if not THE) best teams in the AHL this year. I'll lose no sleep if the peanut gallery on HF doesn't agree.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Yes, Weber had a fine tournament, but did he do it alone? For crying out loud, look at all of the talent Canada had on it's blueline.

Suter was the only Dman who was worth a flip for team USA, and all the responsiblitly fell on his shoulders. I say he did pretty damn well considering the circumstances.

So you can sit here and hem and haw about Weber was robbed, and that's fine. But try and look at things objectively.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Suter did play strong for a very very weak US defensive group. As a Nashville fan I can say this without being biased (Weber is also a Nashville prospect). My fear for team USA is that now with Suter gone how bad will this defense be?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
If plus/minus was the only factor in naming a top defenseman, Rob Blake wouldn't have won the Norris Trophy a few years ago with what was it, a -3? Make no mistake, Ryan Suter was a top defenseman in this tournament. He showed alot of poise in the defensive zone, most of time covering for guys like Jeff Likens. He also logged a ton of minutes in all situations, led the tourney D-men in scoring, and showed flair in doing so. American or not, he deserved his spot as one of the top two D-men.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
triggrman said:
Suter did play strong for a very very weak US defensive group. As a Nashville fan I can say this without being biased (Weber is also a Nashville prospect). My fear for team USA is that now with Suter gone how bad will this defense be?

The U.S. will be able to ice an even better line-up next year. Its not like all of the good American players disappeared off the face of the planet.

Lanny MacDonald*

Personally I thought Suter was terrible against the Russians and Belarus in the round robin and was marginal in the medal round. His selection was nothing but a homer picker IMO. The only player on Team USA that deserved any sort of recognition was Kessel, but he was not in the same class as those forwards selected IMO. His time will come though.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
Legionnaire said:
Yes, Weber had a fine tournament, but did he do it alone? For crying out loud, look at all of the talent Canada had on it's blueline.

Suter was the only Dman who was worth a flip for team USA, and all the responsiblitly fell on his shoulders. I say he did pretty damn well considering the circumstances.

So you can sit here and hem and haw about Weber was robbed, and that's fine. But try and look at things objectively.

No kidding. Its not hard to perform in front of the best WJC defense/forward corps in recent memory (lets not take away from the Canadians great performance but put it in perspective). Suter played extremely well with just flat out pathetic d-partners. I mean - Jeff Likens......Excuse me while I throw up. People undermining what he did and saying it was political, either have their own player they are touting or simply did not watch Suter play. I thought he was clearly the no. 2 for this tourney.....

Chief

Jun 19, 2003
NY, NY
kmad said:

It's called "home cookin". See Sami Lepisto :D

espo*

Suter played good but the other tournament all-star spot should have went to Weber.This happens all the time with the voting.....if a big name guy has a solid tournament they tend to name him over a guy who played better.Weber got ripped off but it happens all the time.too bad,the guy really deserved it.

leafaholix*

The second all-star spot should have gone to either Weber or Vorobiev.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
cyclops said:
Suter played good but the other tournament all-star spot should have went to Weber.This happens all the time with the voting.....if a big name guy has a solid tournament they tend to name him over a guy who played better.Weber got ripped off but it happens all the time.too bad,the guy really deserved it.

being a homer should have nothign to do with it...because Weber is yet another preds prospect(and haven't we been hailing this guy all year while everyone laughed in our faces?) but pair weber with likens...or hell...phaneuf with likens...and see what they could have done with that lemon. Phaneuf and Weber were tremendous for Canada...but who do you give the recognition to? The 4.0 GPA kid who came out of Bel-Air with all conditions being prime for his success...or the kid that came up through the hockey equivalent of a crack-brothel, with Tyrone Biggins for his main homie?

A strange analogy, but Suter had a lot going AGAINST him, but still managed to do a pretty admirable job. Managing to lead the tournament in points all while having to keep an eye on your defense partner...baby Jane...is pretty impressive. If he had another partner like Stuart...someone he didn't have to worry about...he would have been able to play a lot more free-wheeling game, and who knows then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->