Was last nights disallowed goal retribution for this Matthews goal that was waived off?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Last night during the review in overtime I was thinking to myself about this Auston Matthews goal that was eventually disallowed against the Coyotes because of a coaches challenge during the 2017-2018 season.

So when the Coyotes game winning goal was disallowed did anyone think that retribution when they challenged that Auston Matthews goal?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I don't think so. I don't believe they should operate in that matter. It's another thing entirely if they do.

I felt it was clearly goalie interference and should've been waved off. It was an easy call. It was the right call. No doubt though, Leafs have been on the wrong end far too often in reviews. Felt good.

Reactions: OddyOh

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Last night during the review in overtime I was thinking to myself about this Auston Matthews goal that was eventually disallowed against the Coyotes because of a coaches challenge during the 2017-2018 season.

So when the Coyotes game winning goal was disallowed did anyone think that retribution when they challenged that Auston Matthews goal?

Retribution??? From 2017-18????

giphy.gif

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Retribution??? From 2017-18????

giphy.gif
Because it just so happened that it was against the Coyotes where Matthews had a goal disallowed on a questionable goalie interference call, where as last night against the same team the opposite happens and it was much more clearly interference against Jack Campbell.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC

You're really stretching this silly retribution theory of yours.

Honestly, how do people come up with this stuff?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You're really stretching this silly retribution theory of yours.

Honestly, how do people come up with this stuff?
I just happened to remember about that Matthews goal which was waived off since it was against Coyotes and how they played them last night with another review of goal against, this time the call went in favor of Toronto.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Because it just so happened that it was against the Coyotes where Matthews had a goal disallowed on a questionable goalie interference call, where as last night against the same team the opposite happens and it was much more clearly interference against Jack Campbell.

I want to be respectful because you might be a kid.

You've outlined two calls. Neither of which are connected. "Retribution" is an act that enacts vengeance for a wrong. It's a conscious act. That is not what happened here.

Just for fun.. gone from the 2017-18 roster are: Kadri, JVR, Zaitsev, Gardiner, McEllhiney, Marleau, Bozak, Brown, Hainsey, Komarov, (Dominque) Moore, Martin, Polak, Borgman, Leivo, Plekanec, Rosen, Carrick.

18 of the 23 man roster... gone.

Even if there were such a silly and stupid thing as retribution by the league... only 7 players remain on the Leafs from the team that was supposedly "wronged"

Just.... no.

/close thread

slimbob8

Aug 11, 2016
You can't get a much more cut and dry interference call than that. Glad they made the right decision.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I want to be respectful because you might be a kid.

You've outlined two calls. Neither of which are connected. "Retribution" is an act that enacts vengeance for a wrong. It's a conscious act. That is not what happened here.

Just for fun.. gone from the 2017-18 roster are: Kadri, JVR, Zaitsev, Gardiner, McEllhiney, Marleau, Bozak, Brown, Hainsey, Komarov, (Dominque) Moore, Martin, Polak, Borgman, Leivo, Plekanec, Rosen, Carrick.

18 of the 23 man roster... gone.

Even if there were such a silly and stupid thing as retribution by the league... only 7 players remain on the Leafs from the team that was supposedly "wronged"

Just.... no.

/close thread
Maybe retribution was the wrong word to use, how about a coincidence since that Matthews goal was disallowed against Arizona and last night the Coyotes had that happen against them on the same call.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I'd agree with calling it coincidence instead of retribution.

I think the disallowed goal ended up as being the correct call for last night's game.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
It’s almost Stockholm Syndrome at this point if you think we were lucky to get that obvious call last night.
Glad Campbell protested it though.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It’s almost Stockholm Syndrome at this point if you think we were lucky to get that obvious call last night.
Glad Campbell protested it though.
You think if he didn't the refs don't even review it? I know Keefe said in overtime all goals are reviewed in the war room, but would it even got the point we saw without Campbell protesting?

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
You think if he didn't the refs don't even review it? I know Keefe said in overtime all goals are reviewed in the war room, but would it even got the point we saw without Campbell protesting?
Yeah with Arizona flooding onto the ice to celebrate it did seem like the refs body language indicated an initial reluctance to address it.
Who knows?
The contact was obvious on slowed replay but live it was subtle enough to slip past on the initial call.
Campbell probably helped I’m sure.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Maybe retribution was the wrong word to use, how about a coincidence since that Matthews goal was disallowed against Arizona and last night the Coyotes had that happen against them on the same call.

Coincidence. Weird fact. Interesting tidbit.

All good descriptors.

Retribution is just too tin foil hat conspiracy nonsense for me. Coincidence is way more credible.

It’s actually impressive you remembered that earlier play.

Excellent passion there.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Not really. It was clear interference last game, regardless of any prior event. Contact was made with both Campbell's skate and body.

That disallowed goal from a few years ago is... Idk. The stick did nudge him, but it seemed like he had time to reset himself.

Was that the same season where there was a goal allowed with Andersen having an opposing player sitting on his back? I remember that one because the unbiased :sarcasm: posters here on HF main explained to us how it wasn't GI.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad