Was Kyle Turris a risk?

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
TURRIS just started to emerge last year...He was always expected to to impact at the NHL level until he could bulk up and get stronger and that this could take 3-4 years at Wisconsin...WHAT PHX did was rush him to the pros before he got that necessary filling out done ,and so his proper originally forecasted (EVEN SAID IT AT THE TIME) time needed to develop properly was shortned and he had to get a rush job to the pros...THAT could have back-fired and maybe he never got over the lack of developing over the prper timetable for him--HOWEVER last year there were signs he was already coming around and could be the player projected by his potential ..

THE other factor however is that PHX losts a lot in Bryzgalov,JOVANOVSKI,and some other players and could be a lot weaker team this year PLUS the franchise situation of probabky having to leave PHX after this season..

THAT could stymie the "break-out" season TURRIS MIGHT give this year had they kept the same level of depth-but now there could easily be a regression if the team sinks into the hoplessnessof the bottom pit..

THIS is why I thgink some team SHOULD have dropped an offer sheet on TURRIS --maybe PHX won't match or would match and trade if they won't pay up..

HERE is the IRONY of the situation..IN CHICAGO thereis a huge debate about the perennial 2nd line centre position and why PATRICK SHARP has to play there until it gets solved by someone else... TURRIS would in THAT atmosphere, with that team's talent level BECOME the perfect solution for 2nd line centre.I'm sure he blossoms if that ever happened ... THEN wouldn;t it be ironic if he and Kane were tem-mates.

AT the time of their draft -- I said KANE was the rigt choice IF a team needed offensive impact immediately BUT they would have to live with his defensive flaws for several years till he fixed that area OR maybe it never gets fixed and he is what he is -an offensive star and a defensive liability you need to cover for.. I said that TURRIS was the right choice IF you could be patient and WAIT 4-5 years tillhe filled out and then and only then could we find out his true impact ..

WLL the time for TURRIS has arrived finally but unfortunately his team maybe P-poor this season whereas KANE has had the luxury of playing on improving then great (CUP champs) then a bit of a hiccup to merely good but now maybe back to great CHICAGO deeper to deep teams ..

IF KANE were on PHX this year maybbe he doesn't get his point a game -maybe he goes -25 ...so maybe TURRIS stillcannot "shine" there...And so it looks like Kane was miles the better choice.

YET now if TURRIS would blossom on a better team (via offer sheet not matched) -it willbe hard to say if from THIS POINT ON that maybe he does turn into the better all round player the rest oif his career.. YET we may still not see that--because PHX likely regresses as a team this year having lost several very good players..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad