Was Kyle Turris a risk?

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
The reason I'm asking this is because even though he was ranked so high, he played in Tier 2 junior, not the WHL (where he could have played for Vancouver there)
I still don't understand why his rank was so high and don't think he is a bust yet. He still has potential but was worth a top 3 pick?

CandiedBacon

Seguin and Hamilton
Sep 2, 2010
EpicMealTime
He played Junior A because he wanted to go to the NCAA. CHL players are paid a small salary therefore can't go to the NCAA. He was ranked 1st by Central Scouting going into the draft so there is no lack of talent in scouts eyes. The risk I saw in him and believe has hindered him was the size factor. I see a lot of him in RNH, however for some reason I believe RNH will have a quicker impact

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Yes. His size and his opposition's caliber creates an obvious risk factor.

Add that to the fact that I still think the Yotes rushed him, and you have a bad combination and early result.

The Dayvan Cowboy

Registered Genius
Feb 22, 2009
Jr. A is didn't have anything to do with Kyle Turris' current path to bustness.

Tonnes of talent that - for whatever reason, was not properly developed over the years. I would put money on him becoming a solid 60 point centre still in a few years.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Jr. A is didn't have anything to do with Kyle Turris' current path to bustness.

Tonnes of talent that - for whatever reason, was not properly developed over the years. I would put money on him becoming a solid 60 point centre still in a few years.

I think it did.

It can make the kid look a lot better when he's playing against sub par players.

Lier X Agerate

Avs and Wolves
Oct 7, 2008
No, but what was risky is how PHX rushed him right into the NHL. Once he got time to figure out his game and his body in the AHL, he started getting nearer to a full time NHLer.

MrRoundtree

Jan 20, 2011
He was one of the best player if not the best in the Russian Superseries and World Juniors. Talent was here, just, making an impact at the NHL can be hard if you are not prepared for it.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The risk is how they treated him.

First they rushed him. And now that he's a bit older and needs more ice-time, Tippet didn't give him anything until the series against Detroit where he actually played well once he got some momentum. So he got a strange opposite type of treatment.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Despite only playing Jr A he was considered a definite top 3 prospect in 2007, it was somewhat of a toss up between Kane, JVR and Turris for the top 3 picks, once Kane and JVR went 1 and 2 I think everyone knew Turris would go 3rd, regardless of who was making the pick. Obviously there was some risk with him playing only playing Jr A and being a skinny kid, but it's not like he was a reach. He did play great at the Super Series and the WJCs, but I'm pretty sure that was all post-draft, so not part of where he was drafted.

Regardless, he's still young, seemed to show progress late in the playoffs, and it's not like he was drafted immediately in front of superstars, the next 5 picks were Thomas Hickey, Karl Alzner, Sam Gagner, Jakub Voracek and Zach Hamill. He could still pan out, I don't consider him a bust yet. Not everyone develops at the same rate, look at some of the top players who made it deep in last years playoffs (the Sedins, Tim Thomas, Martin St. Louis), all took quite a while to make an impact in the NHL.

Last edited:

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Despite only playing Jr A he was considered a definite top 3 prospect in 2007, it was somewhat of a toss up between Kane, JVR and Turris for the top 3 picks, once Kane and JVR went 1 and 2 I think everyone knew Turris would go 3rd, regardless of who was making the pick. Obviously there was some risk with him playing only playing Jr A and being a skinny kid, but it's not like he was a reach. He did play great at the Super Series and the WJCs, but I'm pretty sure that was all post-draft, so not part of where he was drafted.

Regardless, he's still young, seemed to show progress late in last season, and it's not like he was drafted immediately in front of superstars, the next 5 picks were Thomas Hickey, Karl Alzner, Sam Gagner, Jakub Voracek and Zach Hamill. He could still pan out, I don't consider him a bust yet.

There was never any question that Kane was going 1st overall that year.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
The Hawks quite possibly were set on him, and as it got close to draft day it really seemed like he'd be the pick, but a bit before that (leading up to the draft) it was considered a toss up, many analysts/fans/whatever had Turris going 1st overall.

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
Turris's play with Team Canada after being drafted fully justified his selection at 3rd overall.

In the limited amount I've seen him in the AHL and NHL, he hasn't really played as well 'on the fly' as he did at the Junior level. I don't know if his hands just can't keep up with his feet at the pro level or if he's just playing timid and not with the full confidence as he did in Juniors. But again, I've only seen him a limited amount as a pro.

mindmasher

Dec 5, 2010
Edmonton
hockeyzen.com
There is just a lower level of competition in Junior A. I don't see how anyone can say that doesn't increase risk. Certainly scouts look for raw, mechanical abilities, but nothing can truly substitute for being tested by fire.

No one can say that Turris was truly a proven top competitor in the Canadian junior ranks. I remember during the draft there was definitely talk about the fact that the BCHL was an inferior league (obvious, of course). Most of the reassurances were that 'the skills were there'. But if scouts were bringing it up, it was certainly something considered in his selection.

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011

Actually, filatov was supposed to be the best player along with petrov,but since they have the Russian issue and petrov had contract issues, they dropped. Turris was actually ranked number one by central scouting

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Actually, filatov was supposed to be the best player along with petrov,but since they have the Russian issue and petrov had contract issues, they dropped. Turris was actually ranked number one by central scouting

You're thinking of Cherepanov. Filatov was from the 2008 draft.

Anyways, Turris was the #1 ranked player for a good while, this is true. IMO he was ranked high for good reason, and in the next few years is going to surprise a lot of people who have doubted him.

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
You're thinking of Cherepanov. Filatov was from the 2008 draft.

Anyways, Turris was the #1 ranked player for a good while, this is true. IMO he was ranked high for good reason, and in the next few years is going to surprise a lot of people who have doubted him.

Oops sry bout that :D

Ogopogo*

I don't understand drafting a guy 3rd overall who is playing tier II hockey. That is a huge risk.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
I don't understand drafting a guy 3rd overall who is playing tier II hockey. That is a huge risk.
Every pick is a risk, and I don't think the exact league is that much of an issue considering he got a ton of time from scouts. I don't think it's that different from taking a guy from the USHL or from some of the 2nd/3rd division European teams. Assuming a guy's size, skating, hockey sense, shot, etc. check out then the league itself is only a secondary concern. Turris went on to have a pretty good season in the NCAA the next year and I think people were high on him for his WJC performance in 2007, too, and given how he's been since then and how everyone else from the draft has turned out I don't think going third overall was some obvious error in judgment.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Did people not watch him play against Detroit this year or something? I mean, I know most people here don't get to watch the Coyotes, but at least the playoffs... ? No? Some posters will look mighty silly one year from now.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
If you look at the players drafted after him in 2007, not really. While there is a couple good players taken in the top 10 after him that year, none of them stand out and say how the hell could they passed that guy up.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
IMO Turris lacked the physical size + strength when he first entered the NHL. What worked in junior for him wasn't against 220lb+ D-men.

Yeah, he was kinda rushed but at the same time didn't he leave college? I think he saw his 2007 peers start off with a bang and wanted to join them.

GarfSnowed

May 1, 2011
Every pick is a risk, and I don't think the exact league is that much of an issue considering he got a ton of time from scouts. I don't think it's that different from taking a guy from the USHL or from some of the 2nd/3rd division European teams. Assuming a guy's size, skating, hockey sense, shot, etc. check out then the league itself is only a secondary concern. Turris went on to have a pretty good season in the NCAA the next year and I think people were high on him for his WJC performance in 2007, too, and given how he's been since then and how everyone else from the draft has turned out I don't think going third overall was some obvious error in judgment.

Were the scouts tier 2 as well :sarcasm:

facts

Aug 3, 2005
Flyers fan here, I wanted Kane obviously but as of right now I am happy with JVR, great playoff last year- hope he can handle the responsibility granted in his future. I think if the Flyers would have one the lottery they would have announced very early that Kane was going to be their pick. No disrespect to the Hawks but picking Kane was a no risk no brainer! I think there is such a gap between him and the next 2 being JVR and Turris that it was just a scouting preference between JVR and Turris. I think when we look at JVR and Turris I would have to say their learning curve is very similar and most Flyers fans have been keeping close tabs on JVR. Consider these JVR tidbits:
1. JVR refused the Flyers recomendation and went to college instead of joining Bramton of the OHL, the Flyers believe that stunted his development.
2. JVR looked terrible in his brief stint with the Phantoms and the questions about his potential came into play.
3. His first 2 years were very rocky often scratched or in a deminished role.
4. Rumors of trade attempts.
And the positives being, he is far more insulated with talent and supporting cast than Turris is. I don't think his skill set is much different, nor are his physical features but I feel that his(JVRs) oppourtunity and roles are much more developmentally appropriate. With the Yotes Turris is always going to be in the spotlight because of his lack of supporting cast, even in the minor he was a lone show for the most part and his game is completely diffewrent than one he should be playing. It is easy to say but if Turris played on a team like Philly I think he would have a little more impact, but if he would have went to Chicago and put into the role of Kane he would be in the minors for sure, unable to handle the role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad