News: Was July 1st 2016 one of the worst signing days ever?

Aug 10, 2015
I remember it as it was unfolding. It was astonishing.

I was just thankful we had Shanny in the fold by then and we stayed out of it.

I do not think you can say that signing Matt Martin (on the very same day as the others), as staying out of it. Especially as his contract has already been dumped.

Funny part is, of the contracts on that list and even given how bad Lucic looked in the last half of 2017-2018, I still easily take him over all the others going forward. I think he will bounce back this year and people will still be complaining about the others on that list (or complaining about how much the others cost to buy out at least).

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That wasn't intended in a "look at the quality" way, it was "some of these names will victimize teams on July 1" statement.

That's fair.
Yes, if someone like Karlsson makes it to FA, he'll have been likely the biggest UFA ever to hit the market. He'll command some major dinero on the open market.

There are a number of guys that read over-payment to me in the worst of ways too. Eberle has a 7x7 type contract written all over him. Skinner and Duchene as well. There will be bad money out the next summer.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I do not think you can say that signing Matt Martin (on the very same day as the others), as staying out of it. Especially as his contract has already been dumped.

Funny part is, of the contracts on that list and even given how bad Lucic looked in the last half of 2017-2018, I still easily take him over all the others going forward. I think he will bounce back this year and people will still be complaining about the others on that list (or complaining about how much the others cost to buy out at least).

I don't think Milan forgot how to hockey or something.
I do think he'll be a 40-50 point forward for another few years for sure. I think the issue with his contract, and it is bad, is the fact that Edmonton is so damn handcuffed.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.

4 years at 2.5 is not much.
And as you said, it's already been dumped. So what's the problem?

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
4 years at 2.5 is not much.
And as you said, it's already been dumped. So what's the problem?

Just a correction I assume as you stated the leafs stayed out of it, but they didn't.

Wasn't as big of a mistake and they got rid of it, but still signed a bad contract that day.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Just a correction I assume as you stated the leafs stayed out of it, but they didn't.

Wasn't as big of a mistake and they got rid of it, but still signed a bad contract that day.
Well ya, I meant the big, stupid contracts.

I don't get why so many people think the Martin contract was bad. Not a lot of term, front loaded. Ya, a bit over priced but ultimately it only cost money. Which the just print another batch.
And we got an asset (ish) for dumping the contract. Not had to pay one to do so.
Played out pretty much as expected.

I don't see a problem.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Certainly not the worst of them, but that Weise contract was awful. 4 years? Over 2 million per season. Why?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad