News: Was July 1st 2016 one of the worst signing days ever?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Long term contracts are just too risky especially for older players. Because a player could be great one year and all of a sudden suck. No need to take that chance unless you really desperate, or feel really confident about the player being effective through the end of the contract

It's easy to sit on the sidelines and say that.

On the other hand, extra cap space has never won a face off or scored a game winning goal.

I think GM's pretty much bank on being able to use compliance buyouts, or LTIR, or trading a guy to Phoenix.

To this day, no one has ever really been stuck with a true cap crippling contract for any length of time.

They all wiggle out.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I've always disliked Lucic (even more now that he's an Oiler) but there are worse things than a 4.5 million AAV Lucic, even if the contract takes him to 35 years old. He's still a decent 2nd/3rd lineish guy.
I'd have been ok with keeping him at that price. He'd just be a headache in a few years. Hell I'd take him back if Edmonton retained on him.

member 157595

Just wanted to point out that Holland won the day with 2 of these signings. Your management is inferior.

:laugh:

We are the Red Wings. Your unrestricted free agents will be assimilated. Their athletic and monetary distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This is the problem with these UFA signings. When these guys who are marginal talent come up, GMs try to improve their team.
Every GM's guilty of it really.

After this year, the ridiculous contracts have subsided a bit. I think everyone learned their lessons. Guys on the decline, or off career years don't deserve 4+ years with good pay. The problem with this season was, there were guys who were borderline top line talent, and their play fell off a cliff a year later.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
Here's the lineup:

Lucic-Nielsen-Okposo
Ladd-Backes-Brouwer
Eriksson-Helm-Martin
500k scrub-Weise-500k scrub

All that for 48.95 million a year.

For Comparison:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Kapanen
Jooris-Lindholm-Brown
+Leivo, Ennis

Will cost Toronto 37.37 million this season lol.

Those were some awful deals.

All ufa July 1st team from one of the worse ufa crops in history vs a team with multiple elcs.. yeah that's comparable. Most teams if not all could post the same thing and be better than that ufa list

Reactions: uncleben

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I'll never forget it. The day the sky just broke open.. and rained an unconscionable amount of money down on the unwashed post apex 40 pt support players.

Funniest thing is that 90% of people on this forum called these contracts out for what they were. Terrible anchors worthy of derision.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
As a leafs fan I wouldn’t of been mad with a 7/55 for suter this off-season. Wouldn’t love it, but I’d probably be satisfied with it.

Haha wow. Suter would be a massive upgrade to just about anyone on your blueline and all you can say is you "Wouldn’t love it, but I’d probably be satisfied with it". You guys are truly delusional about the ability of your D unit.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Both guys have another 7 years. If those deals were signed today at 7 years for 7+ mil contract, both would be included in OPs list. Suters is more reasonable but still a gross overpayment

Legit might be the worst week in NHL history. The Hall trade, then 4 days later the Lucic contract is historically bad. Especially considering the Hall trade was made due to Chiarelli thinking he could replace him with Lucic

I'm not sure you know who Ryan Suter is and you damn sure have never seen him play. Add your Wild opinions to post #1.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Haha wow. Suter would be a massive upgrade to just about anyone on your blueline and all you can say is you "Wouldn’t love it, but I’d probably be satisfied with it". You guys are truly delusional about the ability of your D unit.
Right now today suter and Rielly are in the same tier, but going forward with nearly 8m for 7 more years? I don’t think that deal will age well. Then again what do you know? You guys think Weber is still a good deal.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Right now today suter and Rielly are in the same tier, but going forward with nearly 8m for 7 more years? I don’t think that deal will age well. Then again what do you know? You guys think Weber is still a good deal.

LOL... Rielly and Suter on the same tier. OK, sport. You're right, what do we know? Enjoy that Tavares contract.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I'm only finding out now that Darren Helm is making $4 million per year. That's, uh, one way of building your roster.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I remember it as it was unfolding. It was astonishing.

I was just thankful we had Shanny in the fold by then and we stayed out of it.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Those are some awful contracts. But if you wanted one of those players that's the price you had to pay. Most of those guys had similar offers from other teams.
Well the thing is, there are some you have to question why teams would want them. Or why they wanted them so bad.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well the thing is, there are some you have to question why teams would want them. Or why they wanted them so bad.
Some. But most of those guys had been effective up until that point. There were no signs of immediate regression for most of them. All were expected to be bad by the end of their contracts, but I don't think even most fans would have thought that these guys would be garbage so soon after the contracts were signed.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Some. But most of those guys had been effective up until that point. There were no signs of immediate regression for most of them. All were expected to be bad by the end of their contracts, but I don't think even most fans would have thought that these guys would be garbage so soon after the contracts were signed.
Well, there were some (Ericsson for example) that I thought were horrid right from the git go.
Maybe I'm just smarter than most fans. Or maybe, like a blind squirrel, I'm right twice a day. And that was one of those 2 times that day.

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
When I first saw the structure of the Eriksson/Ladd contracts, I immediately said that there will be a lockout because every high profile UFA is now going to want a long-term buyout-proof contract. It looks like the GM's have smartened up way more than I anticipated that they would, but the league still wants to take a look at signing bonuses.

Looking at this situation now...I'm not so sure if there will be a lockout anymore, but if there is, I think that it will be because of what happened on July 1, 2016.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Looks like that often at the start of the year or a year out. I can guarantee over 60% of the names people are drooling over, will not be on that list come next UFA.

That wasn't intended in a "look at the quality" way, it was "some of these names will victimize teams on July 1" statement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad