Was Jarome Iginla ever the best player in the league?

Fishboy*

Jun 29, 2017
Azerbaijan
It's debatable whether or not he was ever the best player in the NHL, or if he was even the best in any single season. His prime was around 2001-2008 for reference. There were never any generational players like Crosby or McDavid who were in their prime at the same time as his, and he won the Art Ross once and the Richard - surpassing 50 goals twice during a low scoring decade for the NHL, once when the Flames were utter garbage. But he also played alongside the likes of Jagr, Sakic, Thornton, Forsberg, Naslund, Sundin, Modano, Yzerman, Lindros, Forsberg, etc (all guys who also could have been best player in the league at this time). Most of those players had the benefit of good linemates at some point in their career, which Iginla never had at any point that is relevant (prime years 2001-2008). He practically lifted an extremely mediocre Flames team to the playoffs multiple times and to the cup finals once - let alone his Olympic success during this time. He never enjoyed the playoff success that some of the guys above and this doesn't invoke some of the same pedigree as some of them (especially that his last few seasons may have left a sour taste in people's mouths very recently), yet he was still a legendary player during a time where goals came tough.

All of this while having a reputation for being a fighter - and a good one at that - while still being known as a classy player.

He was clearly the best goalscorer for a certain period, but were there any seasons of him being the absolute best player in the league (ala the argument now that even though MacKinnon leads McDavid in points - McDavid is still the better player).

Some random Iginla facts to make the argument:
  • Goals per season average during this time (2000-2008): 42, highest in league
  • Career goals - 625, 15th all time for a few more days
  • Career points - 1300
  • Lost the Hart Trophy by a vote in what I remember to be some weird controversy at the time
  • 6 time NHL All-Star
  • One of only 7 players in history to score 11 consecutive 30+ goal seasons
  • 2 time gold medal champ, with crucial goals/points on both wins

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
I know at one point, Iginla was a player that I would have picked to build my team around... so for me, yes.

He was an unreal hockey player, smart, tough, good defensively, great goal scorer, great leader/teammate and a really good person (from what I have heard of him). For me, yes.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
He had a claim between 2001 and 2003, but he never cemented it. So, I'd lean no. He got robbed of a Hart in the Theodore year by a completely unethical Montreal voter who blatantly strategically voted for the Hart (left Iginla off his ballot, he gets any vote on that ballot he wins over Theodore). He won a Pearson and had 2 2nd place Hart finishes the 3 seasons before the lockout. Answering who the best player between 2001-02 and 2003-04 is almost impossible. Guys who had solid claims entering that era either had significant injury issues (Forsberg) or had a weird mid-career fall off (Jagr). For that 3 year span, you are basically left deciding between Forsberg, Iginla, Naslund, Brodeur, MSL, Pronger, Lidstrom, Sakic, and maybe a couple others.

Its strange in retrospect. Expected elite stars who were meant to replace the former greats all had injuries or fell off (Forsberg, Bure, Kariya, and Lindros). It created a power vacuum to an extent. People seriously discussed guys like Bertuzzi as the best player in the league.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
He was for a small period of time. One of the last true power forwards. He could do it all and was a great leader.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He had a claim between 2001 and 2003, but he never cemented it. So, I'd lean no. He got robbed of a Hart in the Theodore year by a completely unethical Montreal voter who blatantly strategically voted for the Hart (left Iginla off his ballot, he gets any vote on that ballot he wins over Theodore). He won a Pearson and had 2 2nd place Hart finishes the 3 seasons before the lockout. Answering who the best player between 2001-02 and 2003-04 is almost impossible. Guys who had solid claims entering that era either had significant injury issues (Forsberg) or had a weird mid-career fall off (Jagr). For that 3 year span, you are basically left deciding between Forsberg, Iginla, Naslund, Brodeur, MSL, Pronger, Lidstrom, Sakic, and maybe a couple others.

Its strange in retrospect. Expected elite stars who were meant to replace the former greats all had injuries or fell off (Forsberg, Bure, Kariya, and Lindros). It created a power vacuum to an extent. People seriously discussed guys like Bertuzzi as the best player in the league.

Yes he certainly was. Not over it tbh. Lots of weird stuff happened in the early 2000s. Lots of it :naughty:

2001-02 I think he has a pretty good claim. Led the league in points and goals, points by 6 and goals by 11. He never really got the recognition he deserved because his teams were mostly whatever around him (other than Kipper) but his prime was incredible. I wish he had won a cup, was very deserving. Unfortunately for him the moment he stopped being able to beat guys to the net with his speed, his shot, and his power his career changed.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
No. He arguably had the best season in 2002 but that doesn't necessarily mean that a player is the best player. Forsberg was the best player in the early part of Iginla's prime, then later Ovechkin/Crosby with Jagr and Thornton going off for a season in between.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He had one season that was better than the reigning best players at the time: Jagr, Sakic and Forsberg but that was sandwiched between two mediorce seasons. Forsberg had a better claim after 02/03.

He needed another 01/02 to have a real claim for the best player. He was a solid Top 5 for the period from 01 to 08.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'll go with no. He had the best season when he was robbed of the Hart, but I don't think he was the best player in the league. Top 5 for sure during a few year stretch there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad