Was Herb Brooks not a fan of USA NTDP hockey?

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
i heard or read, don't know where, that herb brooks was not a fan the NTDP program..

do you think the reason has to do with the NTDP becoming the "AAU" like in hockey..

for people who don't know the AAU is, its a developmental organization to develop US basketball players under the age of 18...

the criticism of AAU in basketball is that it does not teach skill in basketball players....all they do, from what i can gather, shoot 3 pointer shots and thats all...

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
the criticism of AAU in basketball is that it does not teach skill in basketball players....all they do, from what i can gather, shoot 3 pointer shots and thats all...

It's more complicated than that. AAU basketball is rotten in many ways, but yeah, the lack of emphasis on fundamental skills is one of them (most of the programs just use players that have already dominant strenght only to use them to win games and make the program look good - they don't develop them any further - and how could they? Their practices to games ratio is often ridiculous).

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC
i heard or read, don't know where, that herb brooks was not a fan the NTDP program..

do you think the reason has to do with the NTDP becoming the "AAU" like in hockey..

for people who don't know the AAU is, its a developmental organization to develop US basketball players under the age of 18...

I imagine he, along with many coaches in general, are opposed to programs that try to build around skilled players who garner attention first and foremost. Of course, the US NTDP sort of has had to do this in order to grow interest in the country over the past few decades for younger generations. I don't like it, but I get it. If it continues to dominate development of new players, though, that'll be problematic.

I worked in an office adjacent to a rec center for a decade and there were always AAU teams coming in for basketball tournaments and it was painful to watch. Coaches were essentially paid to give certain players all the touches they could get and there was an absolute lack of fundamentals. I'd love to say that it was a disgrace, but plenty of those kids wound up getting scholarships from it. If the NHL follows the NBA down that path in the future, we're going to look back on the past as a different era entirely. That sucks because I think hockey and basketball are fundamentally very similar sports and can be taught in similar ways at the basics.

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
I imagine he, along with many coaches in general, are opposed to programs that try to build around skilled players who garner attention first and foremost. Of course, the US NTDP sort of has had to do this in order to grow interest in the country over the past few decades for younger generations. I don't like it, but I get it. If it continues to dominate development of new players, though, that'll be problematic.

I worked in an office adjacent to a rec center for a decade and there were always AAU teams coming in for basketball tournaments and it was painful to watch. Coaches were essentially paid to give certain players all the touches they could get and there was an absolute lack of fundamentals. I'd love to say that it was a disgrace, but plenty of those kids wound up getting scholarships from it. If the NHL follows the NBA down that path in the future, we're going to look back on the past as a different era entirely. That sucks because I think hockey and basketball are fundamentally very similar sports and can be taught in similar ways at the basics.
thanks for the input...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->