Was Hawerchuk blackballed?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Just something I read in the book "Gretzky to Lemieux." From a chapter it was discussing players who were cut from certain Canada Cups. In '84 Hawerchuk was not on the team and then that year ('84-85) he had 130 points and was a 2nd team all-star, 2nd in points behind Gretzky.

But he mentions that as a member of the Winnipeg Jets in 1984, and since Sather was picking the team he felt that Glen Sather may not hae picked him because he didnt think he wanted him to learn much which may have been harmful to the success of Winnipeg's divisional buddies Edmonton. What do you think of this statement that was made, I can only assume back in 1984. Hawerchuk had 102 points in '84 and I thought would have been a pretty good fit at centre on Team Canada in '84

polarslam

Apr 2, 2004
Winnipeg
Sather did hate the Jets, and it was often the Jets that gave Edmonton their hardest playoff series, but I have trouble buying that.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Sather did hate the Jets, and it was often the Jets that gave Edmonton their hardest playoff series, but I have trouble buying that.

The Oilers rolled over the Jets almost every time they met, they were hardly Edmonton's toughest test on the way to the Cup, save for 1990. So I can't imagine Sather leaving Hawerchuk off the team out of fear that he'd learn too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad