Was Edmonton last year a fluke ala 2013-14 Colorado?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wouldn't say they were a fluke last year. I would say they are a young team and will have ups and downs until they mature as a group and fill some of their holes.

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Katz hired Nicholson, who wasn't associated with the Oilers before then, and he basically swept away the Old Boys Club. This even happened before we won the McDavid lottery. Chiarelli was a high profile hire, and again nothing to do with the Oilers.

Swept away meaning promoting them to VP positions? The Oilers aren't going to turn it around when the same guys who got them into this mess are still part of the organization helping make hockey decisions.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
AWFUL awful awful special teams have cost this team far too many games.

Jay Woodcroft should be losing his job (likely in the summer at this point)...wtf is with the "L" shaped PK....

This and goaltending.

The Oilers are scoring the same amount 5 on 5 as last year.
Outside a 4 game stretch their PP is at 11% and their goaltending has been the worst. If Talbot even matches his career average, it's a huge difference.

These aren't flukes from last year, they are improbable deficiencies this year.

Reactions: THall4

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
This and goaltending.

The Oilers are scoring the same amount 5 on 5 as last year.
Outside a 4 game stretch their PP is at 11% and their goaltending has been the worst. If Talbot even matches his career average, it's a huge difference.

These aren't flukes from last year, they are improbable deficiencies this year.

Their ES is down from last year too. 59 at 5 0n 5 thru 28 games good for T9th in the league. Last year it was 62 at total ES, good for 3rd in the league.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
It's not like Oilers and Avs are the only teams in NHL history to make the playoffs and miss out the next year lol. Oilers will more then likely miss this year and need to retool. I dont expect them fall down hard like the Avs did since they do have Mcdavid but if they do then Chia is quite talented....

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I wouldn't say they were a fluke last year. I would say they are a young team and will have ups and downs until they mature as a group and fill some of their holes.

Pretty much. I thought they were overrated coming into the season, being called a cup contender. Playoff team? Yeah, I thought so, but not cup contender. I love McDavid and Draisital, even though I can’t spell the latter’s name, but who doesn’t love them? Other than those two I’m not that impressed with their forward group. Not saying the rest are bad, but I’m left with kind of a meh feeling from most of them.

Not sold on Talbot being good enough to win a cup with either. Some very good pieces, but not a contender yet in my mind. I hope they turn things around. It’s a long season.

Also, how is McDavid so bad on faceoffs? 37%? What the hell?

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Pretty much. I thought they were overrated coming into the season, being called a cup contender. Playoff team? Yeah, I thought so, but not cup contender. I love McDavid and Draisital, even though I can’t spell the latter’s name, but who doesn’t love them? Other than those two I’m not that impressed with their forward group. Not saying the rest are bad, but I’m left with kind of a meh feeling from most of them.

Not sold on Talbot being good enough to win a cup with either. Some very good pieces, but not a contender yet in my mind. I hope they turn things around. It’s a long season.

Also, how is McDavid so bad on faceoffs? 37%? What the hell?
Definitely something he needs to work on...but I care more about his current PPG % then his FO %. Plus he's always facing off against the other team top defensive players (who are usually good at faceoffs). Not to mention that he keeps getting kicked out by the refs lol. I bet you hes over 50% is getting booted from the dot per game lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad