Proposal: [WAS/EDM] Ovechkin if the Caps Have a 1st round Exit

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
If you had half of that faded superstars point production, you be in the playoffs.
So if we had a 44 point player and lost a 70 point player in return we'd be in the playoffs? I'm assuming you define "playoffs" as higher in the draft?

If you mean getting OV for free then sure. I'd love that. I've said multiple times in this thread that he's a great player. But he isn't a superstar anymore hasn't been for nearly a decade (using the definition of superstar that means one of the top 5ish players in the game)

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
A faded star? What are you talking about? What about his game has faded? You need to look at his career stats. This was his best season since like 2010
Welcome to the thread. I've answered this like 8 times. Pro tip, read past the first 5 posts when a thread has multiple responses. Someone probably already said what you are saying.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
So if we had a 44 point player and lost a 70 point player in return we'd be in the playoffs? I'm assuming you define "playoffs" as higher in the draft?

If you mean getting OV for free then sure. I'd love that. I've said multiple times in this thread that he's a great player. But he isn't a superstar anymore hasn't been for nearly a decade (using the definition of superstar that means one of the top 5ish players in the game)
That is the playoffs for the Oilers.

Reactions: Genuflexion

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yeah you might want to step out of the thread if you think Ovechkin isn't a top 5 player in the league and isn't a superstar anymore. Maybe last season that argument would have gained traction but not this year. He's over a PPG player with another Rocket Richard to add to his resume.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Yeah you might want to step out of the thread if you think Ovechkin isn't a top 5 player in the league and isn't a superstar anymore. Maybe last season that argument would have gained traction but not this year. He's over a PPG player with another Rocket Richard to add to his resume.

You can step out if you think a 33 year old Ovechkin is going to be a top player much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if his production drops off the cliff next year. He's a ticking time bomb

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Are you actually using pre-NHL games to determine Drai's position in the NHL? Do you know how many players played C in junior before transitioning to W in the NHL? That doesn't make them centers.

And thanks for pointing out that they switched Drai back to C for the last 20 games, you know when they were basically eliminiated from the playoffs. Seems like they only felt comfortable letting him play C when the season was done, so why not experiment to see if he could carry a line by himself.

I don't understand why Oiler fans get so offended. There's nothing wrong with Drai being an elite winger. He has potential to be a C but he clearly isn't one yet or he would be anchoring line 2 and tearing it up with opponents focusing on the McDavid line.

Drai was up on McDavid's wing because the Oilers didn't have any wingers worth a damn to play on McDavid's right side, it has nothing to do with Drai underperforming at center. They felt comfortable finally moving him to center because the coach finally woke up and realized that RNH might actually work with McDavid.
Furthermore, Drai takes tons of draws on that line anyway.

The reason why he didn't tear it up in the last 20 games is because he had a steady diet of Cammalleri (who should be retired), Lucic (who played like he was retired this season), Cagguila and Aberg. Also, his effort level noticeably dropped as the season became more and more inconsequential. He's a center, always has been a center outside of the second half of last season and first half of this season and will be a center for the rest of his career.

As for the trade, it's an obvious and hell no from the Oilers. Nothing against Ovi as he's one of my favorite players in the league but there's no way in hell I'm trading a 22 year old center with elite potential locked up through his prime years for a 32 year old winger no matter how good he is. Don't see the Caps trading Ovi either for reasons that go way beyond on ice contribution.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
That's not an accurate description of Ovechkin at all but alright.
Winning the Rocket Richard in 5 of your last 6 seasons makes you a faded superstar?
I bet he isn't winning 5 of the next 6 goals scoring titles moving forward. He is one of the greatest goal scorers of all time, but lets get real here. Oilers aren't paying for what he has already done, they
are paying for what he can do from 32 to 38. Which is going to be less that what Draisaitl does for the next 10 years. Throwing in a potential lottery pick ... naa

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
I bet he isn't winning 5 of the next 6 goals scoring titles moving forward. He is one of the greatest goal scorers of all time, but lets get real here. Oilers aren't paying for what he has already done, they
are paying for what he can do from 32 to 38. Which is going to be less that what Draisaitl does for the next 10 years. Throwing in a potential lottery pick ... naa
This trade wasn't suggested by a Caps fan. Ovechkin is more valuable to the Washington Capitals at this point than he will be to any other franchise.

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Compared to his own past production yes very faded. He's scored more in 7 seasons and is 25 points less than his best year. He's still a (very) good player, but he isn't what he once was. Not close.
The thing is, I highly doubt Draisaitl has a prime as affective as Ovi's 'faded' years.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
You can step out if you think a 33 year old Ovechkin is going to be a top player much longer. I wouldn't be surprised if his production drops off the cliff next year. He's a ticking time bomb
No shit buddy. Obviously Father Time catches up to everyone. It’s foolish to say that he isn’t a superstar and isn’t a top player in the league when he went out and put the Caps on his back and won another RR.

Ovechkin was labeled as “done” last year and turned around and had a 49 goal campaign.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Change Drat to ? & 1 rounder and include Washington's first to Oil?
So to recap. You're suggesting the Caps trade Ovi and Grubauer to move up ~10 spots in the 1st Rd (not even necessarily Top 10) and also take Sekera. There is obviously no deal here. Wsh is not going to trade Ovi for 1sts and question marks and the Caps have absolutely no need for Sekera. I'm also not sure why Grubauer was included in the OP.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
:edmontonAlexander Ovechkin, Philip Grubauer

:capsLeon Draisaitl, Andrej Sekera, 2018 1st

Fair?

ignoring Sekera has a NMC

the deal is not that bad--but who does Alex O play with? HE can not play on the first line because the oilers would need a second line.

Problem is Alex O is 32 ---if he was 28 with time 6 years on the contract--the caps would ask for Mcdavid

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
No **** buddy. Obviously Father Time catches up to everyone. It’s foolish to say that he isn’t a superstar and isn’t a top player in the league when he went out and put the Caps on his back and won another RR.

Ovechkin was labeled as “done” last year and turned around and had a 49 goal campaign.

The question is, why does anyone want to mortgage their future on a present Ovechkin? It's not like he's a guy that will help a team win a cup, and the risk that his productions falls off the map is too great. No thank you

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
The question is, why does anyone want to mortgage their future on a present Ovechkin? It's not like he's a guy that will help a team win a cup, and the risk that his productions falls off the map is too great. No thank you
We'll request your fine insight when we want to win a lottery until then your opinion on this matter is as good as the Oilers season, worthless.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hey an Oilers fan made the proposal so ask that to your guy. Caps will gladly keep the face of their franchise and first ballot HOFer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad