Was Alain Vigneault the best coach the Canucks have ever had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
Disagree, one of the worst coach. We would have won the cup with a competent coach back in 2011.

Lundface*

Tim Wharnsby ‏@WharnsbyCBC
#NYR's Alain Vigneault joins Claude Julien & Darryl Sutter as only 3 coaches to make 2 conference finals in last 4 postseasons ..

Quenneville will be added soon. And that will be 3 in the last 5 years, 4 of the last 6.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
I see AV is riding another legendary goaltender to success. Some things never change.

Lundface*

Well when you consider the fact that those legendary goaltenders have had no playoff success, maybe its not easy just to ride a goalie?

Luongo was good but legendary is going way too far. He hasn't even won a Vezina ffs.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Well when you consider the fact that those legendary goaltenders have had no playoff success, maybe its not easy just to ride a goalie?

What do you mean by no playoff success?

No cups but they have won plenty of playoff rounds.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
If Vigneault is going to get credit for the team's success then he has to wear the fact that they won only twice in their last 14 playoff games despite having home ice advantage in every series. I'm not aware of any stretch in the playoffs that awful by any team where the coach kept his job.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
just so everyone knows, when i necroed this thread there were 5 mins left and lundqvist had just shut the door on a crazy goal mouth scramble.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
If Vigneault is going to get credit for the team's success then he has to wear the fact that they won only twice in their last 14 playoff games despite having home ice advantage in every series. I'm not aware of any stretch in the playoffs that awful by any team where the coach kept his job.

I think it's hilarious that you can say the Canucks had home ice advantage in the Bruins series while excluding the first 2 games in Vancouver where we won, leaving the remaining games with 3 in Boston and 2 in Vancouver.

Just as a side point, though.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
The answer was and still is "Of course."

It was still time to move-on.

Butcher

Dec 7, 2013
I say no, AV was not the best coach Vancouver has had. I would take Captain Video over him for sure.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
You're a schmuck if you think AV was a bad coach. You're also a schmuck if you think we should have kept him last year. You're also a schmuck if you thought Torts was a good hire. :shakehead. Torts June 23, 2013-May 1, 2014.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
You're a schmuck if you think AV was a bad coach. You're also a schmuck if you think we should have kept him last year. You're also a schmuck if you thought Torts was a good hire. :shakehead. Torts June 23, 2013-May 1, 2014.

I talked myself into Torts being a good hire after it happened. Felt wrong when he first got brought up. Gonna' trust me gut next time.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
I say no, AV was not the best coach Vancouver has had. I would take Captain Video over him for sure.
Is that the Captain Video that lasted all of 2 seasons in Vancouver, finishing 18 games below .500?

Maybe you're impressed by him leading the team to the Finals (where they failed to win a single game)...but how would that surpass what Quinn and Vigneaults teams did for numerous seasons in the regular season, the number of playoff rounds they won, and the 3 games they won in the Finals to get us a sniff of the Cup???

God Bless Roger Neilson, but I think even the biggest level headed fan of his would understand theirs no argument based on facts to even enter him into the discussion of the best coach in Canucks history.

The argument might be better the other way:
He took a team that went to the Cup Finals, and couldn't even get them to play .500 hockey.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
AV is the best coach we've had by a mile.

Quinn was very good - his failings here were as a GM, and Roger Neilson probably did the most with the least, but AV was the best coach we've had here.

I hope the next guy is as good.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I don't really see a huge difference between Quinn, Crawford, and AV as coach. I mean AV is probably the "best" by virtue of the fact that he coached in the most complex era, but in general I think the variance in quality of coaches is pretty low and most are pretty capable, just avoid hiring the truly terrible ones (see: Tortorella, John)

Raincouver

Mar 2, 2014
I talked myself into Torts being a good hire after it happened. Felt wrong when he first got brought up. Gonna' trust me gut next time.

Don't beat yourself up.

You're a Canucks fan. You have to talk yourself into stuff. Its how we survive without cups!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->