Was Alain Vigneault the best coach the Canucks have ever had?

Status
Not open for further replies.

denkiteki

Jun 29, 2010
Based on stats, yes but he was also by far the most lucky coach in franchise history in that he actually had a great roster here after MG took over. On paper, we never had such a good team either so that makes comparing him to other coaches a bit harder... more so since it also means other coach did bring us to the cup finals with lesser teams and you could argue that defines better coaching (i.e. doing the same with less).

Wetcoaster

I love self-deprecating humour.
Absolutely nothing wrong with self-deprecating humour or even lawyer jokes. Most lawyers enjoy passing them around among themselves. I have a number of books of lawyer jokes and you will find that many bar associations have a section on their websites dedicated to lawyer jokes. If you cannot laugh at yourself.....

For example...

There was a doctor, a lawyer and priest who were out sailing in the South Pacific when their sailboat sunk. They managed to get into a dinghy but the motor was dead and there were no oars on board as well as no fresh water or provisions.

After the first day they were in bad shape but off on the horizon they could see a beautiful island with mango trees and fresh water springs but the current was taking them past the island. The doctor says "I can swim" so he jumps in the water and takes rope towing the dinghy as he swims towards the island. Suddenly the priest notices a shark fins approaching and yells a warning to the doctor who just manages to scramble back aboard before becoming a shark num-num.

The dinghy continues to drift past the island and there is nothing else in sight except open water.

The priest begins to pray and finally the lawyer without a word plunges over the side, grabs the rope and tows the dinghy to the island where they immediately drink from the springs and grab papayas and mangoes from the trees.

The priest then turns to the doctor and says "You see Doubting Thomas, that is the true power of prayer!"

The doctor considers the remark for a moment, looks out at the open ocean and replies, "Power of prayer hell, that was just professional courtesy!"

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Based on stats, yes but he was also by far the most lucky coach in franchise history in that he actually had a great roster here after MG took over. On paper, we never had such a good team either so that makes comparing him to other coaches a bit harder... more so since it also means other coach did bring us to the cup finals with lesser teams and you could argue that defines better coaching (i.e. doing the same with less).

And as luck would have it he was coaching during the cap era and roster parity and an owner with an open wallet and a CDN $$$ on par with the USD

Guess that 1994 team was the best after all.

Wetcoaster

If that is the test then the best Canucks coach of all-time would have to be...

Wait for it...

Roger Neilson

Roger_neilson_statue.jpg

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Yeah.

Credit where credit is due. I still think he led the team in the wrong direction in the lost couple of years.

I disliked how pathologically he played the percentages and favoured known quantities.

and obviously his players were frustrated by how little he communicated with them.

Last edited:

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
he was a great coach during his tenure in vancouver. helped developed hansen/kesler/burrows. sedins etc. usually plays favourites.. *playing rome/plugs over certain guys. as far as tactics are concern, he's not really good at it. case in point getting defeated by the hawks 2 straight years in a row, before having a redemption revenge against them in 2011. had they lost game 7, a.v would have been gone right after that series.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
Yeah.

Credit where credit is due. I still think he led the team in the wrong direction in the lost couple of years.

I disliked how pathologically he played the percentages and favoured known quantities.

and obviously his players were frustrated by how little he communicated with them.

Yet little of that had to do with MG.

Its not about credit. That irrelevant.

Its time to get all Buddhist-like and let it go. Free your soul... lol

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
he was a great coach during his tenure in vancouver. helped developed hansen/kesler/burrows. sedins etc. usually plays favourites.. *playing rome/plugs over certain guys. as far as tactics are concern, he's not really good at it. case in point getting defeated by the hawks 2 straight years in a row, before having a redemption revenge against them in 2011. had they lost game 7, a.v would have been gone right after that series.

All coaches play favourites.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Yet little of that had to do with MG.

Its not about credit. That irrelevant.

Its time to get all Buddhist-like and let it go. Free your soul... lol

.Why are you saying random things to me tonight? I really have no idea what you're talking about.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I can't get around the fact that Pat Quinn is a terrible person.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
One of the best, but come on, Pat Quinn is legendary.

Not to mention Roger Neilson.

Pat Quinns tenure was a mess from the get go. Its a shame he seemed to tie himself up in BS. He did bring some respectability to the organization. Though it probably wasnt that difficult considering what a mess the nucks were when he got here. :laugh:

mrbitterguy

Sep 24, 2010
san francisco
sensing some sarcasm but people shouldn't hate on nielson. he was ahead of his time as a coach and basically invented video analysis in the nhl. he had great success with every team he coached. there are many rules changes specifically to combat loopholes he exposed.

he got a lot out of a very mediocre vancouver roster but i guess that his short tenure might lead some people to overlook him. still, in terms of ability and progessiveness he'll get my vote.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
I sense an implication

Well I wasn't really implying it could be Torts if thats what you're getting at.

Just words like "was" and "ever had" seem so final.

I don't care what his regular season(s) looks like... the best best coach we've ever had is the one standing behind the bench as we hoist the Stanley Cup. Hasn't happened yet.

So as I see it, AV is the best coach we've had so far... but I sure hope the bar hasn't been permanently set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad