Post-Game Talk: WARNING: Hurricane in Ottawa Today 1:00PM (PAGEAU, PAGEAU, PAGEAU)

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Oh my **** the lack of our lottery pick is the cruelest **** in the world. After everything the team has been through...truly the cherry on top.

Yes, I had forgotten that we f***ed away the lottery pick on the dude that will likely be gone at the deadline, because like when he was in Colorado, we are a non factor. If Duchene doesn't sign, I'm going to troll his f***ing twitter and instagram so bad.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
A drastically, DRASTICALLY lower % shot at getting a guy who can contribute at the top end level, hence the top picks being valued so much more. Having a top 3 pick is a layup, your chance of getting a cornerstone is so much bigger than the rest of the 1st.

Yes, finding these type of players is very hard. Having a top 3 pick increases the odds of getting one by an absolutely gigantic, humongous amount.

Yes, the Sens have their own pick in 2020, they have a very, very good shot at Lafreniere/Byfiled/Lundell/Holtz, all who could be franchise level guys, which is the reward you should get for being a bad team; something the Sens don't have this year.

Where is Byfield expected to go in the draft?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

Didn't Boucher argue how one of our opponents had an advantage because they played a game the previous day? Something about them being game ready?

It seems like Boucher just contradicts himself these days.

This seems like Boucher after every game:
giphy.gif

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Everytime people talk about how smart scouts are I think about how paajarvi was thought of as a future offensive juggernaut.

Yep - he was a first round pick. Tom Pyatt also played for Canada's World Junior team in 2006.

I have defended Boucher from some of what I consider to be unreasonable criticism, but he deserves to take some heat on Paajarvi. He's a liability right now, and given that he was a free player to begin with, I fail to see why we are giving him ice time ahead of players who actually have a future here. Perhaps they can turn him into a sixth or something at the deadline, but even that seems unlikely...

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

and likely screw it up

Oh God. I was watching that having exactly no idea what the hell they were hoping to accomplish except kill their own power play. I was actually shouting "go forward you idiots" from the 300's. You could get a 5 year old, hand them a board and some crayons and they would design a more effective power play. And I think only 2 shots in the 3rd as well. The comeback was great and brought the building to life only to see that awful 3rd just wreck everything.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
JG Pageau really knows how to set an arena on fire.

I'm sure one of these days we'll actually complete one of our countless comebacks...

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The real question is which game (if any lol) will this team break the losing streak in, they will likely luck out 1 game in between but I have personally identified the home game vs Detroit Feb 2nd as the next winnable game for this roster.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I made a new friend yesterday:

20190106_134754.jpg

Also like to thank Matt at the team store. I emailed him a month ago to see if they carried clearance jerseys, he informed me they had them in storage and they could get me a former player, I asked for EK, he said they had a red Adidas, I said that was great and it was waiting for me in the team store on the 100 level yesterday for $145 after tax. Always liked the red jerseys so it was nice to pick one up. Also I liked them having the greeters/ambassadors at the enterance, was a nice touch and other teams should do that.

4thlineduster

Jan 6, 2012
Where is Byfield expected to go in the draft?
I watched Byfield a decent amount when he was with YSE but admittedly haven’t seen him in the O.

Based on his current stats, however, I wouldn’t think he’s looking to be a super high pick in the NHL draft if this point pace keeps up.

Having said that, he’s an 02 playing in the O so half a rookie season doesn’t mean a ton.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
A drastically, DRASTICALLY lower % shot at getting a guy who can contribute at the top end level, hence the top picks being valued so much more. Having a top 3 pick is a layup, your chance of getting a cornerstone is so much bigger than the rest of the 1st.

Yes, finding these type of players is very hard. Having a top 3 pick increases the odds of getting one by an absolutely gigantic, humongous amount.

Yes, the Sens have their own pick in 2020, they have a very, very good shot at Lafreniere/Byfiled/Lundell/Holtz, all who could be franchise level guys, which is the reward you should get for being a bad team; something the Sens don't have this year.

Of course, than there is the lottery so even being the worse team doesn't get you first overall unless you also win the lottery or else Buffalo would have McDavid. There are so many things that need to go right or wrong for a team to win the lottery in a yr that has a franchise difference maker in that draft & that's important too. How many teams have won first overall in a yr that doesn't have a franchise changer in the top 3? Or the player does not become the elite player everyone thought they would & then there is hell to pay. Clearly they are nice to have but no team should ever depend on it & people talk about that like it's easy to attain. People often forget that in almost every yr GM's are building teams to eventually win a cup or build towards that goal but certainly get into the playoffs for the playoff money the franchise needs to survive. The Sens need to draft well with every pick they have & being the team they are need to have very strong scouting & drafting abilities. They have been lucky with some picks outside the 1st rd & need to continue to be lucky & acquire more picks for the next few drafts with the hope that the scouts can find a couple more gems. All this to say that there is some luck that goes into winning a lottery or being high enough in a draft yr to acquire a franchise changer but it's not the only way & with some luck & great scouting might get one later. Chabot, EK & Stone are all franchise changers that were acquired outside the top 10. I think Tkachuk is a franchise changer as well & he was 4th overall.

I think they have a number of positions covered for the future with some very good young players already here & more coming, but I do agree with people that they could use a couple of elite first line players. However, getting those elite players will not be easy & probably require a great deal of luck. I'm hoping that they will be able to acquire either picks or prospects that turn into stars through the next two trade deadlines and/or be able to do it at the draft(s) by trading up, if possible. In the meantime, they have to have very strong scouting & hope these scouts can find a few more Stone's & Hoffman's in the later rds. I think the 2020 draft could be an important draft for Ottawa where it might be possible for them to acquire another pretty good player or two or even more importantly a franchise changer. Of course, they also need to clean out the management/coaching staff of this team first & foremost along with the owner.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Fun fact ... Who leads the Ottawa Senators in give aways? Mark Stone.

He also leads in take aways by a much wider margin.

Most people would not guess the give aways I would bet

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison

Fun fact ... Who leads the Ottawa Senators in give aways? Mark Stone.

He also leads in take aways by a much wider margin.

Most people would not guess the give aways I would bet

He’s trying to do too much. You can see how badly he wants to be the captain.

It’s going to be tough to say this but I think we have to trade him. Making him captain might ruin him, where as if we trade him he becomes a Hossa-esque player on a championship team.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
He’s trying to do too much. You can see how badly he wants to be the captain.

It’s going to be tough to say this but I think we have to trade him. Making him captain might ruin him, where as if we trade him he becomes a Hossa-esque player on a championship team.

Please include sarcasm emotes on any such posts in the future for those of us with weak hearts and gullible minds

Reactions: Back in Black

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad