Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader Announced (RPG by Owlcat Games) (PC)

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
There's like 20 Warhammer games that come out every year. None of them are good.

Vermintide, Space Marine...that's literally it. Maybe Gothic Armada and Total War but I don't play RTS games anymore so I can't comment.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
There's like 20 Warhammer games that come out every year. None of them are good.

Vermintide, Space Marine...that's literally it. Maybe Gothic Armada and Total War but I don't play RTS games anymore so I can't comment.
The new WH40K Daemon Hunter game is an EXCELLENT XCom-Like.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008

Very true, although a Warhammer RPG from a celebrated CRPG developer is pretty good news.

I'm not a Warhammer fan, but I do enjoy a good CRPG. Unfortunately, my CRPG backlog is a mile long. :laugh:

Reactions: JBeast

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Probably more on both counts. And while you're right that the vast majority are either mediocre Warhammer skins slapped over genre-games or outright bad, there are quite a few gems in the pile. GW's has taken a shotgun approach to handling their licenses for video games. Basically no developer gets the rights to an entire franchise, they all get little slices. They either get a smaller title (Necromunda, Mordheim, Underworlds, Battlefleet Gothic, Space Hulk, etc) or they get a very limited collection of races to choose from. The only real exceptions to this are Total War (which, to be fair, is working off of a GW IP that is effectively "dead" since the publication of Age of Sigmar) and Dawn of War (which only got more races via expansions, and is now a functionally dead video game franchise after DoW3 flopped). But every other GW title gets little slices of the IP to work with, and if the developer does well, they get bigger and bigger pieces of the pie. They are fully aware that 80% of the titles will be bad or forgotten, but the 20% that hit will be well worth GW's effort.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I have no love for and can't comment much on Warhammer and all the many games that have come out for it, but Owlcat did an amazing job with Pathfinder. There's many different ways to make a CRPG but in terms of 'Balder's Gate spiritual successor' I think Pathfinder is my favourite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad