GDT: Warding off the Demons, or Petering Out (Flames @ Sabres 5:00 MT SNET-W)

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Went out and bought a new TV last night. Naturally as soon as I turned on the TV for the first time, Lindholm had just scored. Party pooper.

A win's a win. No idea how we played but obviously you take the two points, as well as the 2-1-1 roadie considering how things have gone. 1-0 in the Ward/Conroy era, let's go boys. Keep it up.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I thought we played not too bad. A continuation of the last few games. Not great, but not bad. There are still areas to clean up such as the D giving up the blue line too easily and dreadful passes across the middle, short passes to nowhere. Ritter played extremely well and should dispell any notions that he is not a #1 goalie in the NHL. Other honourable mentions to Mangiapane, Tkachuk, Brodie, Hanifin, and Lindholm.

Coach Ward managed the minutes well with all four lines seeing 10 minutes or more. This is a good thing in my view as the pattern was for Peters to play the 1 line 21+ minutes. The 2 and 3 lines were carrying more of the load, the 1 line was down to ~15-17 minutes. Hanifin played 25 minutes, Gio 23.

Last edited:

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Ritter played extremely well and should dispell any notions that he is not a #1 goalie in the NHL.
This is the one thing that's really become crystal clear during the awful last couple of weeks. Team sucks beyond measure, teammates collapse, coaches get fired but Rittich has been cool and consistent. Nothing seems to get to that guy's head. Kipper would be proud.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I thought we played not too bad. A continuation of the last few games. Not great, but not bad. There are still areas to clean up such as the D giving up the blue line to easily and dreadful passes across the middle, short passes to nowhere. Ritter played extremely well and should dispell any notions that he is not a #1 goalie in the NHL. Other honourable mentions to Mangiapane, Tkachuk, Brodie, Hanifin, and Lindholm.

Coach Ward managed the minutes well with all four lines seeing 10 minutes or more. this is a good thing in my view as the pattern was for Peters to play the 1 line 21+ minutes. The 2 and 3 lines were carrying more of the load, the 1 line was down to ~15-17 minutes. Hanifin played 25 minutes, Gio 23.

I thought we played better against Pittsburgh myself, but overall not bad. I'd say the third line as a whole was probably my favorite line. I love the minutes Hanifin is eating up these days too.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
If Rittich wasn't putting in elite level 'tending, we would be sewered with the number of uuuuuugly turnovers both the forwards and D were guilty of last night. It was bad. I think between Lucic and Kylington, there were probably 6 turnovers and dangerous chances because of them that Rittich bailed us out of.

But everyone was playing way better than the losing streak so that's a positive.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
If Rittich wasn't putting in elite level 'tending, we would be sewered with the number of uuuuuugly turnovers both the forwards and D were guilty of last night. It was bad. I think between Lucic and Kylington, there were probably 6 turnovers and dangerous chances because of them that Rittich bailed us out of.

But everyone was playing way better than the losing streak so that's a positive.

There's a feedback mechanism for passing and execution that can only happen with strong goaltending. The rest will come.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad