Ward or Harding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
both...

my boy harding last night shut out the admirals 40 shots face, 40 stopped.

Leads AHL in save % at around .927 or .928 ...

Also is 2nd in the AHL in wins, (guy above him has 1 more win, in 13 more games).

Harding is the best wild prospect, over o'sullivan, voloshenko/pouliot forsure.

Rookie Chargers

Sep 17, 2005
Quebec
Harding. ;) I have him in a league and am waiting to see what the Wild do at the trade deadline. These two goalies are very similar in vital stats but Harding is a darling. Ward can be hurt by Gerber success depending on mental makeup. :dunno: If that has any effect on him it could set him back a little. :)

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Honestly, if this is for a fantasy league your answer might be Harding. I have the feeling that Ward's numbers won't be as spectacular as Harding's in the near future, but it's because Minnesota plays a system that is VERY kind to goaltenders. I'm not going to get into the words "trap" or "old NHL" because those topics are beaten to death around here, but let's just say that Minnesota plays a MUCH more defensive game than does Carolina, who thrives on the forecheck.

Who will end up being the better goaltender? It's a toss up at this point considering the development of goaltenders and how unpredictable it is. I like Ward for biased reasons, but I have heard a few say that Ward is probably the pick between the two. My opinion is try to find a load of games to watch of both and then pick the one that sparks your fancy, that's why everybody does that isn't laden with blind homerism. Heh.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
im not sure if he'll need his numbers inflated...(Harding that is)

quite frankly ...

his Regina pats teams played HORRIBLE defense, and he was unreal there..was the only reason they were respectable.

Also in his last 7 AHL starts, he has faced 40 or more shots each game, so his defense hasn't been good in his minor league career, and he's posted unreal numbers.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
Never seen Harding play but was really impressed by Ward's calm demeanour, positioning and athlecism last year. Very consistent....just like Harding

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Chrisd said:

quite frankly ...

his Regina pats teams played HORRIBLE defense, and he was unreal there..was the only reason they were respectable.

Also in his last 7 AHL starts, he has faced 40 or more shots each game, so his defense hasn't been good in his minor league career, and he's posted unreal numbers.

Well, take a look at Cam Ward's AHL statistics from last season and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Here are Harding's from this year: 2005-06 Houston Aeros AHL 33 0 3 8 1906 81 0 2 2.55 25 7 0 1024 0.927

Here are Ward's from last year: 2004-05 Lowell Lock Monsters AHL 50 0 0 19 2828 94 0 6 1.99 27 17 3 1393 0.937

Keep in mind also that there was FAR more talent in the AHL last season than there is this season, and Ward eight months younger than Harding this year. Those numbers are impressive at any level, but you can see that his numbers in Carolina are taking a beating because he has yet to adjust fully to the pro game and the system that Carolina plays this year isn't very good for numbers. Gerber, as seen in the olympics, has only a 2.6 goals against average and a .907 save percentage. He's played worlds better than that, but his numbers don't back that statement up. Same with Ward.

What i'm saying is that both are great prospects, but the NHL system they play for is going to make a differance in the numbers for those that are so inclined to misread them. Not saying Ward has been great this year, but he hasn't been as bad as the numbers indicate. I go on a very subjective system when judging goaltenders, and it's how I "feel" when they're in net for my team. I still get the feeling that Ward can come up with huge saves when needed, so i've still got a lot of respect for him for that reason.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I've been a fan of both for nearly five years. I've been watching Ward closely since the start of the 2001-02 season, when his great play led the Red Deer Rebels to trade the goalie who led them to the Memorial Cup the year before. (Almost unheard of in junior hockey). He hasn't disappointed me. I forecasted stardom for him then, and so far, that prediction looks good.

I've been tracking Harding since his brilliant performance at the Estevan Bruins (SJHL) spring camp in 2001. For those not aware, those who want to be drafted the next year don't go to Junior A spring camps. But his strong play at the Regina Pats camp that fall forced the Pats to trade their projected back-up. By the end of the year, Harding was a WHL all-star and a candidate to be drafted. He has exceeded every expectation I have ever placed on him.

I project both to be among the top 10 goalies in the NHL one day, top 15 at the worst. 1984 was a great year for goalies, with Ward, Harding, Fleury and Toivonen.

Personally, I would take Ward, even though Harding was the WHL MVP in 2003 and Harding beat Ward out for the back-up job with Team Canada at the 2003-04 WJC. But it is a pick your poison situation.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
Caniacforever said:
Well, take a look at Cam Ward's AHL statistics from last season and you'll see what i'm talking about.

Here are Harding's from this year: 2005-06 Houston Aeros AHL 33 0 3 8 1906 81 0 2 2.55 25 7 0 1024 0.927

Here are Ward's from last year: 2004-05 Lowell Lock Monsters AHL 50 0 0 19 2828 94 0 6 1.99 27 17 3 1393 0.937

Keep in mind also that there was FAR more talent in the AHL last season than there is this season, and Ward eight months younger than Harding this year. Those numbers are impressive at any level, but you can see that his numbers in Carolina are taking a beating because he has yet to adjust fully to the pro game and the system that Carolina plays this year isn't very good for numbers. Gerber, as seen in the olympics, has only a 2.6 goals against average and a .907 save percentage. He's played worlds better than that, but his numbers don't back that statement up. Same with Ward.

What i'm saying is that both are great prospects, but the NHL system they play for is going to make a differance in the numbers for those that are so inclined to misread them. Not saying Ward has been great this year, but he hasn't been as bad as the numbers indicate. I go on a very subjective system when judging goaltenders, and it's how I "feel" when they're in net for my team. I still get the feeling that Ward can come up with huge saves when needed, so i've still got a lot of respect for him for that reason.

Well if you're going off stats I could point out Cam wards less then stellar .877 numbers, but it's not all about stats. Like I said in my orginal post I don't think one is better at this point then the other, Cam got his shot first, cuz Josh has 2 guys in front of him, but long term who knows.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Personally I would take either or. I'm biased since I'm a Wild (among other teams) fan. But Harding has put up great numbers on some crappy teams. If I had to be forced to choose, I would say Ward. There was a reason he was drafted in the first round. The goaltender depth in 2002 was ridiculous.

Here's my rankings:

1) Kari Lehtonen
2) Hannu Toivonen
2) Cam Ward
4) Josh Harding
5) David LeVeneu
6) Jeff Deslauriers
7) Maxime Daigneault
8) Tobias Stephen

That's a great group of goaltenders in the 1st and 2nd round.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Chrisd said:
Well if you're going off stats I could point out Cam wards less then stellar .877 numbers, but it's not all about stats. Like I said in my orginal post I don't think one is better at this point then the other, Cam got his shot first, cuz Josh has 2 guys in front of him, but long term who knows.

Ward's stats were affected majorly during a short period of time where he played horrible. Like in the game against Phoenix where he let in 6 goals on 17 shots and even in the 9-0 loss to Atlanta where the team left him on his own and let him down majorly. That was back when he didn't get a start for about a month, a long time ago. Since then he's played great.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
do you say potato or po-tat-o ??? thes 2 are both soo good and future #1 starters for years to come. they are even on so many levels its not funny. they are even as far as i am concerned. not one thing stands out to make one better than another.

CrossCheck

Feb 27, 2002
Hockey home, Canada
Visit site
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Personally I would take either or. I'm biased since I'm a Wild (among other teams) fan. But Harding has put up great numbers on some crappy teams. If I had to be forced to choose, I would say Ward. There was a reason he was drafted in the first round. The goaltender depth in 2002 was ridiculous.

Here's my rankings:

1) Kari Lehtonen
2) Hannu Toivonen
2) Cam Ward
4) Josh Harding
5) David LeVeneu
6) Jeff Deslauriers
7) Maxime Daigneault
8) Tobias Stephen

That's a great group of goaltenders in the 1st and 2nd round.

Obviously putting Lundqvist right after Lethonen if ever...

dustinbrownfan

Jan 3, 2006
New Hampshire
Chrisd said:

quite frankly ...

Not true Harding has faced 40 or more shots a total of 10 times this year, and only 3 times in his last 9 starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad