Ward or Fleury?

Status
Not open for further replies.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Fleury.

PIT should be a good team in the next few years and Fleury is an elite talent.

Ward is good too.

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Fleury... I'm surprised at the results so far even though theres only been 7 voters.

wildone26*

I am not, Fleury is overhyped, he is very good, I concede that, but he was never as good as the hype. If you believed the hype you would think he would become one of the best goalies ever(which he wont)not just one of the best goalies in the game at the time(which he might well).

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
Let Fleury just play one season behind a mediocre D...and you'll see.

FoppaArGud

Jan 18, 2006
PHILLY
great poll

before this season me and my buddy were talking about who canada's future is in goal and i said that if brodeur was out of the game in 2010 for whatever reason I fully expected Luongo and Ward to be the guys. I also said the Pens would be awful despite some hubub about the club's "effort to build a winner."

That said, after seeing Fleury a lot this season, WHOA, this guy is the real deal. Ward is obviously way more accomplished at this point but I think Fleury has the talent to be the next dominant goalie in the NHL in the mold of a Brodeur. If Ward faced 50 shots a night he'd be up cripple creek, too, toss out the numbers because Carolina was the premier team in the league for the better part of the season and Pens were the pits.

wildone26*

Fleury is overrated, and has always been overrated. I saw him play in the Q alot since I am from the Maritimes and he was very overrated back then too. I would bet money that Ward will be picked over Fleury for any future events if chosen between the two.

Bryzga lol*

Luongo, Fleury and Ward will the goaltenders in 2010, but I'm not sure who's 1st, 2nd or 3rd. If Ward and Fleury get to display their full potential, Fleury will be ahead of Ward. But as it stands, Ward has the upper hand.

wildone26*

Luongo, Fleury and Ward will the goaltenders in 2010, but I'm not sure who's 1st, 2nd or 3rd. If Ward and Fleury get to display their full potential, Fleury will be ahead of Ward. But as it stands, Ward has the upper hand.

Brodeur will be on the 2010 Olympics team.

wildone26*

How is a goaltender with a career 3.36 goals against average and a .898 save percentage beating a Conn Smythe winner? That's odd.

I find it odd too, but I have never been as sold on Fleury as the praises heaped on him. Maybe that is just me.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I find it odd too, but I have never been as sold on Fleury as the praises heaped on him. Maybe that is just me.

I understand his immense potential, but there have been virtually no returns on his promise to this point. I understand that he's only 21 years old, but he's only a few months older than Ward.

Potential, at some point, must be weighed in. However, it must not be weighed in so heavy that you use it as a basis to upstage actual accomplishments. I know it's hockey's future, but hockey's present and past can serve as a precident.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
How is a goaltender with a career 3.36 goals against average and a .898 save percentage beating a Conn Smythe winner? That's odd.

How is a goaltender with a career 3.68 goals against average and a .882 save percentage regularly beating Vezina trophy finalists here at HF ? That's odd.

What do you think Ward's regular season numbers would've been with Pittsburgh's defense ? Ward's numbers were worse on the 2nd best team in the East despite playing mostly against the league's garbage.

Pavel Bure

Aug 7, 2006
British Columbia
Fleury is overrated, and has always been overrated. I saw him play in the Q alot since I am from the Maritimes and he was very overrated back then too. I would bet money that Ward will be picked over Fleury for any future events if chosen between the two.
Did you see Ward during the reguler season at all?

His SV% and GAA on 1st place Carolina were worse than Fleury's who was on a last place Pittsburgh

bluef0x*

Ahaha, you're joking right? You're going to use stats for one guy and trophies on the next?

If you're going to try to prove a point, how about using the same frikin category for each guy.

Default101

Fleury without question, they said the same thing abut Ryan Miller, he was rated with high potential but people were giving up on him left and right, Jim Carey progressed pretty fast barely a year in the AHL same as Ward Carey played one more terrible season and then went back and forth btween AHL and NHL untill he just dissapeard after he couldn't hack it in the IHL, what about Dominik Hasek he stumbled out of the gate it took him almost 4 years to show his potential, but he's become possibly the greatest goaltender of his generation, Fleury could bust and Ward could become 5 time vezina trophy winner, but i think these are some solid examples of not only to disreguard a goaltender who is only 21 right now and calling him a bust and saying he's not going to reach his potential, i think that will need to wait untill the end of the 2008-2009 season, i think he was hyped up maybe not outside of what he's capable of but just the lack of patience he should become a star, but some gaoltenders take some real time to develop, where as people like Cam Ward can be thrown right into the fire and keep his head above water, they're both great goaltenders and who knows this could turn out to be comparing Byron Dafoe to Jim Carey, or comparing Patrick Roy to Martin Brodeur, personally i'll stick with Fleury untill he reaches his full potential and is not what we all expected.

and by the way Cam Ward is actually 9 months older than Fleury and played for an exceedingly more successful junior team, he's played the length of the playoffs and knows what happens, he played the same amount of playoff games 2 of his 4 years in red deer as he did in this year's playoffs, and the least he's ever played was 11 he had players like Phaneuf, Colby Armstrong, Woywitka, Lynch infront of him, not including other several NHL draftee's i'm just not going to go through every single one, Fleury only reached the conference finals once in his career during his 3 full seasons in Cape Breton the only NHL draftee's on any of those teams the 3 years were Stephen Dixon, and J.P. Cote, i think that in itself should explain why things are the way they are now, they both had very different developmental processes, and therefore although Fleury all together i believe has more potential to succeed he didn't get to experience that as much as ward did, so then being put on a terrible Pittsburgh team isn't gonna help the guys confidence, which i think once Pittsburgh's Offense and defence start showing it's potential Fleury will build more confidence and not feel like he has to do everything himself for once you know kinda like what happened in Wilkes-Barre when he had a 1.57 GAA, and a .939 SV%

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad