Ward: Flames are making progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
"We've been making progress. I still think we can be a little more consistent with it but we are definitely building in the right direction."

Seriously? Was I watching some other game last night thinking I was watching the Flames - Canucks game?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
They won didn't they? Canucks were coming off of a roadtrip where they lost 5 games and got blown out in most of them. Of course they were going to come out with some fire. Flames shut it down in the third.

Ward wasn't my first choice and I don't like some of his lineup decisions but man this fanbase is hard to please. No teams are a finished product at this point in the season.

Reactions: Tkachuk Norris

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I want Ward out if he's lost the room already but I don't mind the way we play too much. We currently have two very good forward lines but it's not his fault that Tkachuk is playing the way he is.

Who's in his good graces and who's in the doghouse baffles me and it feels like he's making it up as he goes along with that but it's not too different from any other coach.

The Canucks game was probably our most arrogant game of the season. We were getting outshot 31-17 after 40 but they knew they did enough to have the lead despite the low effort play

Reactions: NinjaTurtle

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
In Ward we trust
b2a.gif

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
At this point with this fan base, blaming the coach for players not playing well is like blaming the teacher when your kid flunks the test.

was it really the teachers fault? Or was it the fact your kid hasn’t opened a book in their life, or didn’t do any of their homework, and is actually kind of a dumbass?

Reactions: RasmusAndersson

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
How many people has this team not shown up ready to play?

Ward is probably the worst coach in the league. Without Markstrom this team has 3-4 less wins.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
How many people has this team not shown up ready to play?

Ward is probably the worst coach in the league. Without Markstrom this team has 3-4 less wins.

you can say the same thing about this team to start the last 6 seasons after 15 games.

Pure coincidence or are they just really slow starters and take a while to get into it? I think at this point it’s a pattern not a fault of the coach’s

but you are right this year we have Markstrom so we aren’t 4–8-1

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
you can say the same thing about this team to start the last 6 seasons after 15 games.

Pure coincidence or are they just really slow starters and take a while to get into it? I think at this point it’s a pattern not a fault of the coach’s

but you are right this year we have Markstrom so we aren’t 4–8-1

How many good coaches has been this organization ever hired?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
At this point with this fan base, blaming the coach for players not playing well is like blaming the teacher when your kid flunks the test.

was it really the teachers fault? Or was it the fact your kid hasn’t opened a book in their life, or didn’t do any of their homework, and is actually kind of a dumbass?

So every player we have had over the last 5+ years has just ignored top end coaching? Pretty obvious this franchise has struggled finding coaches almost as much as goalies. Players need to be ready to play 60 minutes but you can't excuse a coach for a team not being ready to play either.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The problem with this team lies within the leadership more than coaching - and I've f***ing hated our coaches.

Does any other team in the league fall into the same patterns over and over despite the rotating cast of players we've had over the years. Why do we always lose the first game of the season? Why did it take 13 years to win a game in Anaheim? Why does this team fall apart after an extended break? Why can't we sneak into the second round of the playoffs?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
So every player we have had over the last 5+ years has just ignored top end coaching? Pretty obvious this franchise has struggled finding coaches almost as much as goalies. Players need to be ready to play 60 minutes but you can't excuse a coach for a team not being ready to play either.

no you both completely ignored my point

The Flames are terrible every year to start the season. 90% hit the panic button. This team always gets its way out of it and back into the playoff race. It’s a pattern based on the time in the season. That’s not on coaching.

This team is coached well, yes it would be nice to get Laviolette but who honestly would want to come coach for a fan base as clueless and overly passionate as Calgary who throw the coach under the bus time and time again? This team is inconsistent and that is a motivational thing. The players have never played well at the start, or shown mental strength at the start of the year. That’s on them. They can’t rely on the coach to motivate them. You think Michael Jordan relied on the coach to motivate him? It’s just pure garbage. This fan base freaks out at the start of the season every year and this team always figure it out.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
no you both completely ignored my point

The Flames are terrible every year to start the season. 90% hit the panic button. This team always gets its way out of it and back into the playoff race. It’s a pattern based on the time in the season. That’s not on coaching.

This team is coached well, yes it would be nice to get Laviolette but who honestly would want to come coach for a fan base as clueless and overly passionate as Calgary who throw the coach under the bus time and time again? This team is inconsistent and that is a motivational thing. The players have never played well at the start, or shown mental strength at the start of the year. That’s on them. They can’t rely on the coach to motivate them. You think Michael Jordan relied on the coach to motivate him? It’s just pure garbage. This fan base freaks out at the start of the season every year and this team always figure it out.

Are you arguing we should give a pass every year to the team for not being ready to start the season? This organization has struggled to start a year all the way back to Iginla. Was he a bad leader? Or have we constantly brought in sub par coaches who can't convince players to buy in?

Ironically Jordan's coach literally taught him how to win in the NBA by using his teammates and working as a team instead of individual effort, because he is one of the greatest coaches in nba history if not the best.

Almost every coach we have had in a decade plus is out of the league immediately after coaching for us or an assistant on a bad team, there has to be a reason for that.

If all you want is to be in the playoff race then you will absolutely love the flames we are always close to being a good team.

Fans aren't clueless for watching other teams find success and asking why we can't.

WMBronco

Feb 12, 2021
Sault Sainte Marie
Are you arguing we should give a pass every year to the team for not being ready to start the season? This organization has struggled to start a year all the way back to Iginla. Was he a bad leader? Or have we constantly brought in sub par coaches who can't convince players to buy in?

Ironically Jordan's coach literally taught him how to win in the NBA by using his teammates and working as a team instead of individual effort, because he is one of the greatest coaches in nba history if not the best.

Almost every coach we have had in a decade plus is out of the league immediately after coaching for us or an assistant on a bad team, there has to be a reason for that.

If all you want is to be in the playoff race then you will absolutely love the flames we are always close to being a good team.

Fans aren't clueless for watching other teams find success and asking why we can't.

This. If professional athletes aren't prepared on the same team every year, is it a player personnel problem or an organizational issue?

I'm learning towards the organization itself. We're starting to turn the corner but false starts every year are killing us. It'd be nice to have a coach that was in demand when we signed them. Instead, most disappear to the ether once they leave Calgary.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I really don't get this post. This seems like a nothing answer from Ward and he has a different message behind the scenes. Seems like he's saying empty stuff aside and mentions consistency cause that's what he is trying to drive into the team behind the scenes.

It'd be a LOT more of a story if Ward was asked about the team and he said something like "They never come out to play and are lucky to have Markstrom." or "I'm a shitty coach and the team recognizes that so I'm just going through the motions here." This feels like a non-story

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Yeah if he doesn’t make adjustments again I take back everything. It’s one thing to get your ass kicked one game, it’s another thing to have the same thing happen in back to back games. Against a poor team. I still don’t even know who’s out there to replace him.

too bad Peters was a POS, I think he actually was probably a good coach otherwise.

Reactions: DFF

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Too bad Trelivimg won’t make a change. He’s stuck with Ward. 100% was his last hire and it’s hilarious this is who he went with

Reactions: DFF

User1996

Jun 24, 2020
Decent enough article, but there a couple things to add:

1. This team inherently isn’t fast, but the style they’re playing completely neuters any hope they have to play with speed. D men standing still in our zone going back and forth 4 times while our C curls and two wingers f*** off and stand at the blue line to tip pucks in. Slow and predictable. Two great ways to play faster without speed is to activate the D, and have close support. Wards system does neither.

2. This strategy leads to a putrid forecheck because a winger are each side of the blue is standing still and has to come all the way across the ice to become F1 on the forecheck when his partner tips it.

3. Last one, our dumps are horrible. Soft rims right to the goalie and into spots that are easy for opposing D to skate into. We make it so easy to play against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad