WarCraft III: Reforged

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I mean, I understand their responsibility for locking down copyright stuff and blah blah blah, but still...

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
How many people make maps? .05% of the people who buy the game? Real non issue that effects almost nobody.

It matters to those few people who make maps. It should also matter to those who like to play such maps (i.e. a much greater number), because it could mean that there'll be fewer of them. It might also matter to those who simply care about user rights. What if the next step is claiming ownership of user-created mods and there ending up being fewer of those? Even though I haven't played Warcraft III in over 15 years, know nothing about the map scene and am not really interested in this "Reforged" edition, seeing a developer/publisher do this worries me a little and doesn't seem good for the community. It may not matter to you, and no one is saying that it should, but it's still a real issue for others.

Last edited:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I find the ongoing drive by developers to monetize the mod communities of popular games to be nauseating.

A major reason why I play Bethesda games is because I know I’ll be able to tweak the final product thanks to the hours of contributions by selfless individuals.

I would certainly reconsider my investment if I had to pay for every mod I want to install.

Reactions: Sigh and Bocephus86

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Not surprising given that it's not much of an upgrade and that a number of expected things are not working properly if at all. I mean some of it might be salvaged by future updates but alas it should not have been brought to market in its current state.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Trying it out for myself: this is a shameful display from Blizzard.

At the end of the day, it's an okay remaster graphically and the game itself is still WC3 (one of my favourites of all time), but it runs like complete ass balls. How is this in any way acceptable? How do you remaster a game for modern systems and have it run WORSE than the 17-year old game already ran on modern systems? Did they even bother to test this shit before they squelched it out? Like who looked at the state of this game and said "ship it"?

This should have been a slam dunk for Blizz but somehow they decided to farm it out and it's a horrible trash fire.

And they want $40 for this garbage, after stripping out all the added features? What an insult. They even excluded the cutscene improvement they had finished in 2018 to show off at BlizzCon for crying out loud!

Absolutely disgusting behaviour from a company that used to be my favourite developer, or at the very least top 3. If I had paid actual cash for this game rather than using BlizzBucks (WoW gold converted to Battlenet wallet money or whatever they call it), I would be (more) irate. With the state Blizzard is in these days, all my "free money" from WoW gold is worth basically nothing anyways.

I'm not a fan of metacritic bombing, but in this case I think Blizz deserved it.

Avoid.

Rant out of the way, it is still WC3....so it is still a very good game at its heart. :laugh:

...assuming you can get it to run properly of course....

Last edited:
Reactions: LightningStrikes

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
I would play the original version for nostalgia but apparently Blizzard completely broke it in order to get people to play this one. Which really sucks.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Screwing people who run the old version of Warcraft III is really low.

**** Activision.

And there is the issue, since Activision bought Blizzard the company has been on a slow slide as Activision cares only about maximising profits and nothing else. Who cares about quality if you can make more money screwing people over.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
And there is the issue, since Activision bought Blizzard the company has been on a slow slide as Activision cares only about maximising profits and nothing else. Who cares about quality if you can make more money screwing people over.

One would think that eventually people would get burned too many times, and would bite back. Maybe. Possibly?

I know for myself, Blizzard and BioWare used to be companies I trusted implicitly. Now? Both have been relegated to the "extreme caution" list.

Reactions: NyQuil

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
1. Not true.
2. It would send a shockwave throughout the gaming world to stop pulling this kind of bull****.

A class action of this size would take up to a decade to settle most likely and each individual like you are me would be lucky to walk away with the price of the game.
Would it send a shockwave? Government legislating in-game monetization does not seem to have them running in fear so I doubt this would.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Warcraft III: Reforged

Reforged has a 0.5 user score on Metacritic. :laugh:

The funny thing is that you hear that and assume that it's based on a small sample size, maybe only a few dozen ratings. Nope. It's based on 22,777 ratings. That's a lot of really angry people :laugh:.

Edit: It's up to 25,174 ratings just 24 hours later. That's about 2,500 more angry people per day.

Last edited:

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
A class action of this size would take up to a decade to settle most likely and each individual like you are me would be lucky to walk away with the price of the game.
Would it send a shockwave? Government legislating in-game monetization does not seem to have them running in fear so I doubt this would.

I absolutely think it would. The stock would tank, the company would lose even more in valuation, shareholders would be pissed. I feel like that would force change more than anything else. Dollars are all that matter to these companies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad