OT: Wanting to Transfer to California CC's

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Hey guys, I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the California Community College system but I'd like to get some more information. Currently I'm at a SUNY school but I want to end up at a UC university eventually, I know I could ride it out for 2 more semesters here but I'd really rather not. As someone who would be coming from across the country, how worth it would it be transferring into a CCC? Would I pretty much be a lock to get into a lot of schools if I maintained above a 3.2? I'd really like to get some information to know what I should do. Thanks guys.. Just trying to get some personal experience from those who live there.

I thought anyone could go to a community college? I don't really have any advice for you but good luck. I know a few Buffalonians who moved to the west coast and I've visited there a number of times. I went to the first winter classic. The weather in Buffalo sucks but the people there are awesome and I've had some really good times out there.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Hey guys, I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the California Community College system but I'd like to get some more information. Currently I'm at a SUNY school but I want to end up at a UC university eventually, I know I could ride it out for 2 more semesters here but I'd really rather not. As someone who would be coming from across the country, how worth it would it be transferring into a CCC? Would I pretty much be a lock to get into a lot of schools if I maintained above a 3.2? I'd really like to get some information to know what I should do. Thanks guys.. Just trying to get some personal experience from those who live there.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with the CCC system but I had a few friends and classmates from high school that did the 2 years and transferred to another UC (mainly to LA and Berkley)

I personally graduated from a UC and met a handful of people that transferred from CCC's to our school. Their GPAs were all 3.5s +.

You can definitely get into a UC with a 3.2 from a CCC (Riverside, Irvine, Merced, SC, or even Santa Barbara). I believe certain CCC's have contracts/programs with the UC's that if you maintain a certain GPA you will be automatically accepted into their system. If I remember correctly PCC (Pasadena City College) has a program like that and I'm sure other CCC have that incentive as well. My highschool at that time had a program where if we had an overall avg of a 3.5 GPA, we would be automatically accepted into UC Riverside & Merced. But getting back on topic, why a UC? You're practically paying the same amount of money to go to a private school. (Only California residents pay a discounted price when attending a UC). Unless you become a Cali resident but I don't know how long you will have to live in California in order to become a resident or you have a scholarship?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I can speak from experience that the California CC system is mostly great. Everyone I know that has gone to a CC (in So Cal) has enjoyed it and went onto a UC or CSU school. It's a great platform for other schools. You are almost guaranteed admission into numerous schools if you simply take the required classes and do well. The requirements for a CSU school as opposed to a UC school are smaller. However, the CSU system is still great. I know many people that went to a So Cal CC, transferred to a CSU or UC, and then eventually moved onto UCLA, USC, UC Irvine, or other great schools for graduate work. Getting classes is tricky, but if you wait it out the first two weeks and show perseverance, I know you'll get them.

Good luck! :)

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Unfortunately I am not familiar with the CCC system but I had a few friends and classmates from high school that did the 2 years and transferred to another UC (mainly to LA and Berkley)

I personally graduated from a UC and met a handful of people that transferred from CCC's to our school. Their GPAs were all 3.5s +.

You can definitely get into a UC with a 3.2 from a CCC (Riverside, Irvine, Merced, SC, or even Santa Barbara). I believe certain CCC's have contracts/programs with the UC's that if you maintain a certain GPA you will be automatically accepted into their system. If I remember correctly PCC (Pasadena City College) has a program like that and I'm sure other CCC have that incentive as well. My highschool at that time had a program where if we had an overall avg of a 3.5 GPA, we would be automatically accepted into UC Riverside & Merced. But getting back on topic, why a UC? You're practically paying the same amount of money to go to a private school. (Only California residents pay a discounted price when attending a UC). Unless you become a Cali resident but I don't know how long you will have to live in California in order to become a resident or you have a scholarship?

I believe it's 1 year out there and you get in-state tuition , another reason why I'd be going a year early. I had a 3.7 last semester but this semester I've been going through some tough stuff and have been struggling pretty hard. So I have no doubt I could get above a 3.5 and get into where I want to go.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Southern California has some of the best Community Colleges in the nation. The Coast CCD is particularly fantastic. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

I went for 2.5 years then transferred, it's a very easy process. The counselors will set it all up for you. You can transfer out in 1.5-2 years, I just went for a full AA. They aren't easier than the CSU/UC schools, however. I would say that many of the classes I took at OCC were either on par or more difficult than the GE classes I took at the CSU.

It definitely is easier to get in as a transfer because many of your classes are out of the way and a University has a better idea of what you are going to end up taking, making it easier for them to forecast class sizes. The primary factor that can make it difficult to transfer or not is if the particular UC program you are interested in is impacted. If there is room, and you don't have a horrible GPA, you'll surely get in.

RonSwanson*

If you have a 3.2 you are a lock to get in.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Just FYI on getting in-state tuition, they fight you tooth and nail to change your status when you're eligible and you will have to seek it out when that time comes, the out of state fee won't just disappear when you're going into your 3rd semester you will have to provide all sorts of documentation that you have been living in California for at least a year at that time, bill receipts, things like that, you should probably also get a bank account in CA at B of A or something, because in my experience proof of bank transaction happening largely in one place isn't enough.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Southern California has some of the best Community Colleges in the nation. The Coast CCD is particularly fantastic. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

I went for 2.5 years then transferred, it's a very easy process. The counselors will set it all up for you. You can transfer out in 1.5-2 years, I just went for a full AA. They aren't easier than the CSU/UC schools, however. I would say that many of the classes I took at OCC were either on par or more difficult than the GE classes I took at the CSU.

It definitely is easier to get in as a transfer because many of your classes are out of the way and a University has a better idea of what you are going to end up taking, making it easier for them to forecast class sizes. The primary factor that can make it difficult to transfer or not is if the particular UC program you are interested in is impacted. If there is room, and you don't have a horrible GPA, you'll surely get in.

I'll agree with this. Everyone I talk to from high school acts like a CC is a cakewalk. It certainly wasn't. I'd say my coursework and classes at my CC were harder than those at a CSU. However, I also enjoyed them more. They were more rewarding, smaller, and were substantially more hands on.

MollerManor

Feb 18, 2009
If you have a 3.7 gpa transferring from a cc in California, you can go to just about any UC school, also including USC, Pepperdine, and a handful of other top end school outside the UC system.

I know 10 people personally who transferred to UC Santa Barbara with 3.5 and under GPAs and 3 people who transferred to USC with sub 3.7 gpas. You will be fine.

And if you fail you can just got to Cal State Northridge or Los Angeles. I think you need a 2.5 gpa to go there.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
I believe it's 1 year out there and you get in-state tuition , another reason why I'd be going a year early. I had a 3.7 last semester but this semester I've been going through some tough stuff and have been struggling pretty hard. So I have no doubt I could get above a 3.5 and get into where I want to go.

Sorry to hear about that :(

If that's the case then I would definitely do it. If you have your mind set on a UC (depending on your major, transferring from a CCC is ideal. I had a few friends from high school that got accepted to other If you can maintain a 3.5 in a CCC you are almost guaranteed to get into a UC and/or CSU. Good luck!

br3ds0x

Dec 6, 2005
Huntington Beach
One other thing to condsider/look into is the transfer of credits. I did the community college route, and in moving from CA to NY then back to CA within 2 years forced me to do about 3 1/2 years of community college because some of the classes/credits wouldn't transfer over.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The best CC in. The country is Santa Barbara city college and they have transfer agreements with almost all the schools in Cali so that would be your best bet especially if you wanna go to UCLA, cal or irvine

Rumpelstiltskin

Serial Ruminator
Jun 14, 2007
Los Alamitos, CA
If you have a 3.7 gpa transferring from a cc in California, you can go to just about any UC school, also including USC, Pepperdine, and a handful of other top end school outside the UC system.

^I'll second this. A few tips (I was a first-year Junior College student who ended up graduating from UC Irvine):

• Not all JuCos here in SoCal are "good" these days, but most of the ones you'll be looking at in Greater LA are at least "good enough" to where you won't have to wait 5 hours in line to add/drop a class or find yourself wishing you were anywhere BUT in-class once you actually get there. There're a couple of pretty good guides out there; I'd recommend checking out at least one of these.
  • As soon as you pick your JuCo, sign up for matriculation (not even sure they're calling it that anymore; it's the "strategic course-planning") and an appointment with a counselor. Tell him/her you'd like to 'IGETC' into a UC, and get his/her recommendations (it used to be, back in the mid-1990s, that with a 3.3-3.4 average after two years and an IGETC 'certificate,' you could pretty-much transfer to any school in California that you wanted; now, I've got friends telling me it's more like 3.5-3.7 GPA).
  • Like others have mentioned, beware: the classes at the JuCo might well be more "difficult" (more accurately stated: involve more homework and reading) than the courses at your eventual 4-year school. My senior year at UCI was an absolute cakewalk compared to my freshman year at Fullteron JC (and the former included classes like Philosophy Statistics and Advanced Botany versus the later's Intro. to Critical Literature and Public Speaking 101)...
Hope some of this is somewhat useful; good luck!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad