Wanting to play in the ojhl

Kane88

Nov 1, 2012
What would help me to get on an ojhl team, i'll be 16 next year would it be better to play in the nojhl or gojhl and how does someone in high school keep up with school with road games on school days

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
What would help me to get on an ojhl team, i'll be 16 next year would it be better to play in the nojhl or gojhl and how does someone in high school keep up with school with road games on school days

Play Midget till you're 18 unless you're a superstar. Dont rush into junior hockey just to get lost because you're not ready.

Futurehockeyscout98

Feb 25, 2014
Well in the GOJHL if you billet you will attend HS in the area and in the GOJHL some teams have places to do work before practice or team departure. I know the Caledonia Corvairs have a place in the room to do school work.

Lazarrr

Apr 10, 2010
Ottawa
If your dream is to get a scholarship and play NCAA hockey, then play junior hockey. You're more likely to get a scholarship when you're 16 or 17 compared to 18/19/20. I would only consider Major Midget if you're a fringe Jr B player.

Ballroomblitz

May 22, 2012

If you are 16 next season and cannot crack a Jr A. lineup right now then stay home, finish school and play midget. Personally story....my son played a single year of midget and got his start in Jr A. playing days as a 17 year old. He was watched throughout the year by various NCAA Div 1 schools who were basically keeping an eye out for their future committed recruits (not him specifically), but with limited ice time in his first season was already on the radar which really was unknown by us at the time. By the end of the year a few schools started to verbally express interest and in his second year he verbally committed to D1. This year (his third) he has signed his official NLI in the early signing period and is fully committed for September.

You have time in front of you, if you cannot break the lineup I would really suggest staying home and playing midget. If you really wish to billet then that is an option, just do not think it is the only path.

This story isn't unusual, we have many friends in hockey and for a small majority the age of 16 works, the far larger majority starting Jr. at 17 is just as sufficient for obtaining your goals.

One word of advice if thinking NCAA Div 1, get through the NCAA clearinghouse and get on top of the SAT's. The courses you need are very critical in that you get them, some fantastic players get verbal commitments and then cannot take them due to them not doing their homework on requirements till it is too late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->