Wanted: Opinions on Matt Benning

OilerMcLord

Oct 9, 2003
Hello,

Oilers supporter here, who was always a fan of the underappreciated Matt Benning.

Since I don't get to watch Preds games, could you tell me how he's looked?

Thank you!

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Yeah, he has been... ok... as a bottom pairing guy. I mean, we didn't have a high bar for our bottom pair after the last few years of Irwin/Weber types. I feel like maybe the organization was hoping for a little more from Benning, and that made us as fans hope he might be a "good" bottom pairing guy. Whereas instead he has been more like "somewhat adequate". But "adequate" is still better than what we've been used to.

But we also dared to dream that our 3rd pair might be PK players for us, and our PK system started so horrendously that I think it helped make those D look worse to us than they really are. So hopefully we haven't see the best of Benning yet. :dunno:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Yeah, he has been... ok... as a bottom pairing guy. I mean, we didn't have a high bar for our bottom pair after the last few years of Irwin/Weber types. I feel like maybe the organization was hoping for a little more from Benning, and that made us as fans hope he might be a "good" bottom pairing guy. Whereas instead he has been more like "somewhat adequate". But "adequate" is still better than what we've been used to.

But we also dared to dream that our 3rd pair might be PK players for us, and our PK system started so horrendously that I think it helped make those D look worse to us than they really are. So hopefully we haven't see the best of Benning yet. :dunno:
We're also so spoiled we thing Fabbro is what a 3rd pairing guy should look like.....

Benning is what is, a 3rd pairing guy.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
We're also so spoiled we thing Fabbro is what a 3rd pairing guy should look like.....

Benning is what is, a 3rd pairing guy.
There is literally no person on this board who thinks Fabbro is what a 3rd pairing guy should look like. Most of us would like to see Fabbro on the 1st pair.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
There is literally no person on this board who thinks Fabbro is what a 3rd pairing guy should look like. Most of us would like to see Fabbro on the 1st pair.

A quick use of the search feature says that you're wrong about that.

Yeeeeeeeah, it's posted after the majority of games. Something along the lines of, "Fabbro needs some time on the 3 pair".
You know because he made a bad pass or something, it's infuriating, almost as bad as listening to sports radio.

Reactions: triggrman

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
3rd pair Fabbro Squad here. He needs some time to grow his game against lesser competition.
So what will you be saying when he's always trying to cover for a subpar defensive partner that can't read or react to what he's doing? This concept is a self fulfilling prophecy. Same as not playing Tolvanen in situation to succeed or to less an extent Trenin. Everyone is clamoring for Trenin to be moved up in the lineup and he's a "well his talents might translate" type player where Fabbro has already displayed that his talent and understanding of the game make him a minimum of top 4 defender in the league.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
So what will you be saying when he's always trying to cover for a subpar defensive partner that can't read or react to what he's doing? This concept is a self fulfilling prophecy. Same as not playing Tolvanen in situation to succeed or to less an extent Trenin. Everyone is clamoring for Trenin to be moved up in the lineup and he's a "well his talents might translate" type player where Fabbro has already displayed that his talent and understanding of the game make him a minimum of top 4 defender in the league.
He's better more than he's bad, if that makes any sense, which favors keeping him in the role he's currently playing in. If he looked way over his head, or was regressing (he's not), I could see slotting him down a bit. On the whole, fully agree with you though. Until these young players show they are completely not ready to play in their roles, give them them the opportunity. This is a great season for potential player development, even if our coach isn't using it correctly.

On Benning, he's been about what you expect for a 3rd pairing d-men. I was hoping we were getting better...he's not.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
As for Benning, I had higher hopes for him but he's been adequate. Unnoticeable most of the time which is a good thing. Could cut down the penalties, though. Worse skater than I thought but better at taking the body.

I don't see top-four defenseman in him, and frankly I'd like to give his spot for Carrier, Allard or Davies. He'd be a fine 6-7D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad