Post-Game Talk (GBU): Want To Buy 2nd and 3rd line

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Also, a lot of really hot takes in here for a game were the Sabres generated almost 50 shots. Anderson stole that game.

Anderson had just as many difficult chances as Hutton. Ottawa was by far the better team. Ottawa’s defense gives up a ton of shots, a lot. We got a lot of shots. That’s what that 50 shots tells us.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
I thought Middlestadt looked good in the corners and kept possession a bunch of times in the ozone... maybe with Erod in place on that line instead of Elie, they can finally score. Maybe eventually stick Oloffson on this line. Reinhart back with Sobotka which worked for a few games.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
How did Ristolainen become so terrrible at handling a puck? The guy is unbelievable overrated by this coaching staff, if move him in a heartbeat for a another defender...

moltenlava26

Jul 10, 2011
With Ristolainen, like Oreily, coaches just can’t seem to help themselves. Are they good players? Yes. Should they play 1/3 or more of the game every night even when they are a liability? No. 26 mins again for Risto. It’s like Phil can’t justify cutting his minutes for a single period.
I think Casey is coming around but would it be the worst thing in the world to send him and Tage down, cut Ellie and bring up the best scoring line from Rochester?
KO’s delay of game penalty was woof. Get puck in own zone, lose it in skates, panic, and flip it out of play. Time for some press box to get his head on straight.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
The guy is unbelievable overrated by this coaching staff, if move him in a heartbeat for a another defender...
I dunno if it's a matter of overrating him, as much as the defense behind Risto has been SO bad (or injured) for SO long that they didn't have much of a choice. And there's still question marks to be answered before they're probably comfortable lightening his load.

Yeah, we have Dahlin now, that's a huge boost... but even if it's unspoken, I guarantee all management has the same idea of not overloading the kid out of the gate. And that's how it should be.

McCabe and Bogosian were far from sure things to even play this year, no less being able to take Risto's minutes. They're good where they are. Risto probably would be good where they are too, but it is what it is at the moment.

Scandella somehow looks worse than ever this year. He's on my list to move before Risto.

Nelson is Nelson.

Beaulieu has looked alright this year for what he is. He shouldn't be here next year.

Pilut is coming and probably deserves to be in the NHL, but he'll still probably be waiting for his turn with the injury callups to have his shot and stick.

Guhle regressed the last year or two in the AHL, I still have hope he can make the big show but he's no longer the top 4 lock he was for me.

Case in point, Risto is likely on our top pairing out of necessity until someone handily outplays him. Right now, that's probably going to be Dahlin... and whoever plays best with Dahlin. With a HM to Pilut.

Last edited:
Reactions: Freeeeedom

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I dunno if it's a matter of overrating him, as much as the defense behind Risto has been SO bad (or injured) for SO long that they didn't have much of a choice. And there's still question marks to be answered before they're probably comfortable lightening his load.

Yeah, we have Dahlin now, that's a huge boost... but even if it's unspoken, I guarantee all management has the same idea of not overloading the kid out of the gate. And that's how it should be.

McCabe and Bogosian were far from sure things to even play this year, no less being able to take Risto's minutes. They're good where they are. Risto probably would be good where they are too, but it is what it is at the moment.

Scandella somehow looks worse than ever this year. He's on my list to move before Risto.

Nelson is Nelson.

Beaulieu has looked alright this year for what he is. He shouldn't be here next year.

Pilut is coming and probably deserves to be in the NHL, but he'll still probably be waiting for his turn with the injury callups to have his shot and stick.

Guhle regressed the last year or two in the AHL, I still have hope he can make the big show but he's no longer the top 4 lock he was for me.

Case in point, Risto is likely on our top pairing out of necessity until someone handily outplays him. Right now, that's probably going to be Dahlin... and whoever plays best with Dahlin. With a HM to Pilut.

I don't disagree that we need better defensemen overall, but we have years of evidence showing what happens in this movie.

Part 1: risto plays 25+ minutes per game as the #1 dman and consistently gets caved in.

Part 2: Risto's game falls off a cliff by January because he's overworked.

How much worse could it get if they tried something else for, say, a week or 2 and rotated different groups into the top pairing?

Reactions: sabrebuild

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
G:

Jack Eichel
2 assists, 1 primary
67% in a dot (10-5)
71.88% Corsi (23-9)(at 5v5)

I’d say Jack has been doing his part. Someone needs to establish themselves as a threat opposite him. And soon.

Not good enough, remember we are supposed to hold him to a much higher standard than anyone ever. He should be getting hatties and single handedly willing us to win every single game.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
G:
Line 1
Line "4"
Dahlin
Hutton

B
Line 2-3
Nelson
Risto

U
Game Plan

Given the lackluster ability of line 2 & 3 to generate office they should instead of focus on playing low event hockey. Let the other teams come to them and use turn-overs to spring Sherry/ERod. The state of the NHL is counter attack and exploitation of weak links.

Get the puck low for their poor percentage opportunities, losing it high as burned them repeatedly. Look at the situations which have resulted in HDSC and STOP COACHING THE PLAYERS TO REPLICATE THEM.

Clearly there's some good coaching going on within the system. Eichel is becoming a really complete player, that didn't happen overnight.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Also, a lot of really hot takes in here for a game were the Sabres generated almost 50 shots. Anderson stole that game.

Yup, GDT's around here are extremely toxic and filled with terrible takes. If you go into any other team's GDT, the fanbase in general cheers for their team while staying patient through the lows of a 60 minute hockey game. In here, one failed keep in, or one bad pass results in "trade him" or "he f***ing sucks, why is he on the ice!" or "I'm done with these clowns". It's quite difficult to read through, especially because this team is actually playing at mean level of the majority of the league for the first time in nearly 7 years.

Pessimistic take: The Sabres have lost their last 3 games
Optimistic take: The Sabres have points in 5 of their last 6 games and are 3-1-2 during that span

The reality of the situation is that Ottawa scored 2 PP goals because of two McCabe mistakes (Not pushing an agenda, as most here know I'm probably his biggest supporter), a puck luck bounce on their only ES goal of the night, and an empty netter. We took two early penalties and as a result we struggled to get going - anyone that has played hockey and had to wait 5-6 minutes for their first shift will understand how that can happen. Once we settled in and got into a rhythm we took it to them the rest of the game.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
G:

Jack Eichel
2 assists, 1 primary
67% in a dot (10-5)

I’d say Jack has been doing his part. Someone needs to establish themselves as a threat opposite him. And soon.

Jack has been unreal basically this entire year, the points just haven’t come easy yet.

Reactions: Gabrielor

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I almost think that McCabe, Bogosian and Dahlin have been our best defenders this year. At least they don’t fumble pucks every single time it comes to them. Ristolainen is physical, that’s about all he’s got going for him.

That guy should never see a top PP again, how is this the same player who had a hat trick in Calgary a couple years ago? The same guy who looked supremely talented?

He’s 100% following in Tyler Myers footsteps, I never would have thought that two years ago. I thought we had a future number one guy.

Reactions: Weaves

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Game was frustrating but that 3rd period was beautiful. I'm not blasting anyone to the sun yet but we really need to get secondary scoring in a hurry. Put Vic next to Mitts and Reinhart.

Weaves

Oct 28, 2013
Ottawa
G:

Jack Eichel
2 assists, 1 primary
67% in a dot (10-5)

When i was at the arena last night I casually asked Sens fans who the offensive threats were on Buffalo: 100% percent of the responses included Jack Eichel, and somehow around half of them mentioned Kyle Okposo and the other "elite" piece on the roster. Rarely was Reinhart, Mitts or anyone else mentioned.

This aligns with my POV that at this point Jack is really our only dynamic offensive talent we have (although Skinner could be added to this list depending on how you view him) at this time.

People give Eichel a very hard time here, but I don't really fully understand that view when for the last few years he has been our ONLY consistent offensive presence. Until that changes, blame the other 11 forwards for contributing minimally offensively (although Skinner and Pommers have been great).

Last edited:

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
When i was at the arena last night I casually asked Sens fans who the offensive threats were on Buffalo: 100% percent of the responses included Jack Eichel, and somehow around half of them mentioned Kyle Okposo and the other "elite" piece on the roster. Rarely was Reinhart, Mitts or anyone else mentioned.

This aligns with my POV that at this point Jack is really our only dynamic offensive talent we have (although Skinner could be added to this list depending on how you view him) at this time.

People give Eichel a very hard time here, but I don't really fully understand that view when for the last few years he has been our ONLY consistent offensive presence. Until that changes, blame the other 11 forwards for contributing minimally offensively (although Skinner and Pommers have been great).

There's really only a few people. No one in the hockey media, scouting circles, or analytics community views Eichel in a negative light (not even remotely)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
G:

Jack Eichel
2 assists, 1 primary
67% in a dot (10-5)

The lack of finish and early penalties killed us last night. We outshot Ottawa by a wide margin, especially in the 3rd, but we fell behind early and didn't bury anywhere near enough of those chances. Somebody besides Eichel's line needs to start putting pucks at the back of the net on a regular basis.

Make

Apr 15, 2004
Finland
I seriously think it might be best to try Risto as a forward. That's where he started his career as a junior before moving to D as a 13-year old (iirc). Some of his best plays over the years have resulted from pinching near the boards and forcing his way to the net. I think he could be a real force as a cycle player too.

Of course lack of speed might be an issue.

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN

The hot takes and negativity on this forum are hilarious.

This team is way more fun to watch than any team we have iced in several years. The game was pretty even through 2 periods except for the obvious 3-0 disadvantage. We absolutely dominated the 3rd period and almost tied it up on several occasions before the EN goal.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
The hot takes and negativity on this forum are hilarious.

This team is way more fun to watch than any team we have iced in several years. The game was pretty even through 2 periods except for the obvious 3-0 disadvantage. We absolutely dominated the 3rd period and almost tied it up on several occasions before the EN goal.

Yeah how dare we call them out for not showing up for 40 minutes

So much fun

Reactions: Sabre the Win

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad