Wang, Snow face their critics

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=547226&cmpid=rss-Feature Stories

Owner and GM on NHL Hour 12/23 respond to fans questions.

They've tried to sign a number of free agents, but those players have gone elsewhere (turning down term and $$).

Once Bettman opened up the program to callers, the questions from Islanders fans ran the gamut of subjects from the development of prospects to the price of attending a game. Most popular, however, was whether Wang intends to sell the team if he can't get a new arena and if it would be moved off Long Island and even out of state.

"Right now we hope that never comes to any fruition," Wang told one caller. "We're working very hard to try to keep the team on Long Island because that's my home. That's where it belongs."

Wang acknowledged that a move to Queens and a possible arena near where the Mets play at Citi Field is an option, but adamantly stated, "The team is not for sale."

Asked by another fan about his commitment in pushing the Lighthouse Project and trying to see that the Islanders succeed, Wang answered succinctly.

"I'm a hockey fan. I think it's a wonderful thing to have, as I said before, major metropolitan areas have to have major league professional teams," he said. "It's just like your house, you want to fix it up and be the nicest house you can have. And that's the way I feel about Long Island."

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=547226&cmpid=rss-Feature Stories

Owner and GM on NHL Hour 12/23 respond to fans questions.

They've tried to sign a number of free agents, but those players have gone elsewhere (turning down term and $$).

I'm not at all surprised that Wang doesn't want to sell.

Wang's been owner for 10 yrs.He was told when buying the team,that a new arena was a priority for the County,that he'd be getting one soon...instead local pols are still spinning their wheels a decade later.I think that's where his frustration comes in.Why he made the "If I knew then,what I know now statement" came from.

From previous articles,it seems clear that Wang enjoys owning the team,interacting with the players.

The lease expires in 2015.Forbes reported he lost $4.5m last season.Why sell now when there's light at the end of the tunnel?

Someone(Nassau,Queens,Brooklyn,Suffolk),will most likely give him a new arena with much better lease terms and he keeps his lucrative,local cable deal.

Telfo

THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)
Oct 31, 2008
Atlanta, GA
it does amaze me that Daly and the NHL in general will basically tell Atlanta to get ther **** together or lose the team, yet the Isles are in a much worse situation with much lower attendance and a fossil for an arena, yet they do nothing but help Wang out.

maybe Daly and Bettman just dont like Atlanta Spirit, not that i would blame them

Last edited by a moderator:

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I actually hope they do move to Queens or Brooklyn. I'd be able to go to games that way. I don't drive so going to their games now is a *****.

Last edited:

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
it does amaze me that Daly and the NHL in general will basically tell Atlanta to get ther **** together or lose the team, yet the Isles are in a much worse situation with much lower attendance and a fossil for an arena, yet they do nothing but help Wang out.

maybe Daly and Bettman just dont like Atlanta Spirit, not that i would blame them

I read that Atlanta has been seeking investors for 2 yrs now.Maybe the league's putting more pressure on them because they have actively been searching.Wang has not been looking for a sale or investors.He's hinted he'll look to move/sell the team, if the county doesn't give him the deal he wants.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
The team "isn't for sale" as long as:
a) Wang still holds out hope for his Lighthouse Project
and
b) Bettman is in the same room

If the Lighthouse Project is still not off the ground when the lease is close to expiring...the tone of both the NHL and Wang will do an about-face very quickly. Wang might still say it isn't for sale....but he won't be saying that it is staying put. It's one or the other....even if it is just a threat......a sale to an owner not committed to Long Island...or Wang moving the team himself.

It's really no wonder his project hasn't been received well. If he keeps saying the team isn't going anywhere and he isn't selling....what leverage does he have? I'm pretty sure behind closed doors Wang & Bettman are telling a different tale....if they aren't...they should be.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
The team "isn't for sale" as long as:
a) Wang still holds out hope for his Lighthouse Project
and
b) Bettman is in the same room

If the Lighthouse Project is still not off the ground when the lease is close to expiring...the tone of both the NHL and Wang will do an about-face very quickly. Wang might still say it isn't for sale....but he won't be saying that it is staying put. It's one or the other....even if it is just a threat......a sale to an owner not committed to Long Island...or Wang moving the team himself.

It's really no wonder his project hasn't been received well. If he keeps saying the team isn't going anywhere and he isn't selling....what leverage does he have? I'm pretty sure behind closed doors Wang & Bettman are telling a different tale....if they aren't...they should be.

What leverage?

How about being able to move the team where ever he wants in 2015, when his lease expires?

In this interview,Wang sounds move open to moving to Queens,Brooklyn or Suffolk County.If Nassau County wants to keep Wang's team beyond 2015,they have to offer him something good.Maybe ownership of the arena and surrounding land, if he'll build a new arena with his own money.

BwayBshirt

Mar 31, 2004
My NY State of Mind
Bettman & the BOG's will never, ever allow them to leave the area.

Either the Lighthouse Project gets done to attempt to transform LI, or they will move to Queens/Brooklyn. Most likely Queens since Wang I would imagine would want some say in real estate in that part of Flushing.

Obviously he will never admit it, but I think privately Bettman is rooting for a move into The City. It would presumably be quicker, less risky, and potentially open up more avenues across the board for the franchise/league.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Yes there is. There still has to be a vote with a super majority.

Actually, under By-Law 36 only a simple majority vote is required to approve a relocation - and it is not clear if even that would be an impediment if an owner wanted to go all Al Davis on the League and challenge that restriction in court on anti trust grounds.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Actually, under By-Law 36 only a simple majority vote is required to approve a relocation - and it is not clear if even that would be an impediment if an owner wanted to go all Al Davis on the League and challenge that restriction in court on anti trust grounds.

A court fight they would win. The primary force holding teams where they are is the lease. A new secondary one is the no-movement guarantee (with financial penalty) the league has been interjecting on purchases. After that, there is almost nothing stopping someone from going wherever the hell they want.

The "Bettman is a godlike dictator who puts teams wherever he wants by fiat" illusion is just that.

CC Chiefs*

A court fight they would win. The primary force holding teams where they are is the lease. A new secondary one is the no-movement guarantee (with financial penalty) the league has been interjecting on purchases. After that, there is almost nothing stopping someone from going wherever the hell they want.

The "Bettman is a godlike dictator who puts teams wherever he wants by fiat" illusion is just that.

I know this is about Atlanta but just saying. To say GB is not in charge is VERY naive.

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The search continues for new investors or a buyer for the Atlanta Thrashers, but team president Don Waddell believes the NHL will not allow the team to be moved to Canada. At least not in the short-term.

"I don't believe Gary Bettman's going to allow someone to come in and buy it and move it," Waddell told ESPN.com Monday at the NHL's Board of Governors meetings.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5893012

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005

The 7-year no relocation consent agreements are basically Al Davis insurance. The League's relocation restrictions are still subject to anti trust challenge - even after the changes under By-Law 36 to allow for a simple majority vote and no vetoes - but there are no anti trust grounds to challenge the consent agreements.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The Isles might not be doing well financially at the moment, but if they could ice a competitive team in a new stadium they'd be printing money.

You don't move a franchise out of New York City. The potential is just too great.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
I know this is about Atlanta but just saying. To say GB is not in charge is VERY naive.

I didn't say he wasn't in charge. I said he has a very weak legal basis to "stop" someone without a lease from moving.

He does, of course, have enormous INFLUENCE on what happens, and as the crook Moyes learned, trying to stab him in the back by doing something he doesn't want to have happen has a way of coming back to bite you.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
The 7-year no relocation consent agreements are basically Al Davis insurance. The League's relocation restrictions are still subject to anti trust challenge - even after the changes under By-Law 36 to allow for a simple majority vote and no vetoes - but there are no anti trust grounds to challenge the consent agreements.

That's not really what I was referring to.

4Isles4*

Bettman & the BOG's will never, ever allow them to leave the area.

Obviously he will never admit it, but I think privately Bettman is rooting for a move into The City. It would presumably be quicker, less risky, and potentially open up more avenues across the board for the franchise/league.

AGREE

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
One big reason the Isles are not moving is the amount of youth hockey the team has brought to LI, that now produces NHL players, unlike Atlanta, PHX, FLA. This was none existent when the Rag$ were the only ones in the area. The team does have many fans but with the current tone of the team it’s much better to go to your sons practice than miss it for a game. If you missed the 01-02 season the fans came back hard core but after that the team once again tried to just get buy. A move to Queens will not change the attitude of the team and the players around the league unless you show that you’re a professional organization bent on winning it all. This starts from the top.

As for being compared to the Hawks as people on the NHL network have, even the Hawks made trades and signed Hossa to win it all.

Aaronxxx

Oct 12, 2009
atlanta
One big reason the Isles are not moving is the amount of youth hockey the team has brought to LI, that now produces NHL players, unlike Atlanta

vinny saponari says hello. the thrashers have existed for 10 years and share the metro area with the gladiators. maybe give the kids a chance to grow up before making this blanket statement?

Last edited:

Mr Atoz*

The Lighthouse Project that Wang wants will never be approved. The politicians have proven that they will not yield to Wang's threat to move the team. And besides that, the area does not need a tremendous buildup of office space. I'm in the office buildings across the street from the Coliseum and they are half empty. Two new huge office towers would be vacant.

Wang has no incentive to sell. The franchise is at a low point. Another city would throw money at him.

I'd still like to see the team fold along with 4 or 5 others. It would improve the league immeasurably.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad