Walt Kyle to coach U.S. Junior Team at WJC

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
USA Hockey has tabbed Northern Michigan's Walt Kyle to serve as head coach of the U.S. National Junior Team at the 2006 IIHF World Junior Championship.

The tournament, scheduled for Dec. 26-Jan. 5 in Vancouver, Kelowna and Kamloops, B.C., marks the World Junior Championship head coaching assignment for Kyle. He piloted the U.S. to a bronze medal in 1992, and led the Americans to a fourth-place finish the following year.

"It's a great honor anytime you get to represent your country in a game you love," said Kyle in a prepared statement. "The World Junior Championship is a great event with the best players in the world competing, and the team that goes in the most prepared and focused will ultimately succeed."

http://insidecollegehockey.com/7Archives/News/usjuniors_0337.htm

Hopefully the assistant from the last U.S. WJC team David Quinn is kept far away and Jack Johnson is on the team.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Well I'm not sure if Quinn was the only reason Johnson wasn't on the team but you can count on Johnson being on this years club. If the US chooses wisely, they have a great shot at winning the WJC's. The 86's took silver at the World Under 18's and the 87's won gold this year. Any thoughts on who else will be on this team?

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Mobey said:
It says John Hynes will be an assistant coach, so I'm assuming Quinn isn't going to be on the staff.

not a bad thing, in my opinion. the passive, complacent coaching at last year's WJC was one of the main things that hurt the USA. This can only be better.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
Well I'm not sure if Quinn was the only reason Johnson wasn't on the team but you can count on Johnson being on this years club. If the US chooses wisely, they have a great shot at winning the WJC's. The 86's took silver at the World Under 18's and the 87's won gold this year. Any thoughts on who else will be on this team?

Here's who I'd like to see on the team:

Goaltenders:

Cory Schneider
Jeff Frazee

Defense:

Matt Lashoff
Jack Johnson
Mike Brennan
Mike Sauer
Nate Hagemo
A.J. Thelen
Brian Lee
Ray Macias

Forwards:

Chris Bourque
Rob Schremp
Tom Fritsche
Bobby Ryan
Phil Kessel
Peter Mueller
Shawn Weller
Adam Pineault
Brandon Dubinsky
Jack Skille
Kevin Porter
Blake Wheeler
Jordan LaVallee

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
As for the naming of Kyle, I'm glad for two reasons:

1) It was done early. He and his staff will have time to get to know the players and formulate a gameplan.

2) He's had experience, and success at this level.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:

Goaltenders:

Cory Schneider
Jeff Frazee

Defense:

Matt Lashoff
Jack Johnson
Mike Brennan
Mike Sauer
Nate Hagemo
A.J. Thelen
Bob Sanguinetti

Forwards:

Chris Bourque
Rob Schremp
Tom Fritsche
Bobby Ryan
Phil Kessel
Peter Mueller
Jordan LaVallee
Adam Pineault
Brandon Dubinsky
Jack Skille
Kevin Porter
Chad Kolarik

Good looking line-up and I imagine that is pretty close to what Team USA will look like barring any injuries. I'm not familiar will all of the D-men, but there are some big names with Thelen, Lashoff and JJ. Is Hagemo the only returning guy from last year? Does a guy like Pat Kaleta from the OHL have a chance at the team? How about Macias out of Kamloops?

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HabLover said:
Good looking line-up and I imagine that is pretty close to what Team USA will look like barring any injuries. I'm not familiar will all of the D-men, but there are some big names with Thelen, Lashoff and JJ. Is Hagemo the only returning guy from last year? Does a guy like Pat Kaleta from the OHL have a chance at the team? How about Macias out of Kamloops?

I think Hagemo is the only eligible returing defenseman. As for Kaleta and Macias, not sure, although Macias was invited to the eval camp last year. With the WJC's in BC, I hope the U.S. brass pays a bit more attention to the WHL, because there are some American players in that league that deserve serious consideration.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:

Goaltenders:

Cory Schneider
Jeff Frazee

Defense:

Matt Lashoff
Jack Johnson
Mike Brennan
Mike Sauer
Nate Hagemo
A.J. Thelen
Bob Sanguinetti

Forwards:

Chris Bourque
Rob Schremp
Tom Fritsche
Bobby Ryan
Phil Kessel
Peter Mueller
Jordan LaVallee
Adam Pineault
Brandon Dubinsky
Jack Skille
Kevin Porter
Chad Kolarik

Interesting List. I had the same goalies. But I differed from you on a couple of your picks. I like Mueller and think he's gotta a pretty good shot at making this team. He'll be the only 88' that will most likely make it. I've only seen Sanguinetti play once and I don't know if he'll be ready next year.

Also, No Ryan Stoa?? Although I'm not a huge Stoa fan but I think he'll probably make this team.

No Shawn Weller or Brain Lee (both on last years team) I have a question mark by Weller but I think Lee is there for sure.

I like the Kolarik pick but with Hynes as the assistant, he might not have chance.

Not sure about Dubinsky or LaValle but and I think Matt Auffrey and Blake Wheeler will get strong looks.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
Interesting List. I had the same goalies. But I differed from you on a couple of your picks. I like Mueller and think he's gotta a pretty good shot at making this team. He'll be the only 88' that will most likely make it. I've only seen Sanguinetti play once and I don't know if he'll be ready next year.

Also, No Ryan Stoa?? Although I'm not a huge Stoa fan but I think he'll probably make this team.

No Shawn Weller or Brain Lee (both on last years team) I have a question mark by Weller but I think Lee is there for sure.

I like the Kolarik pick but with Hynes as the assistant, he might not have chance.

Not sure about Dubinsky or LaValle but and I think Matt Auffrey and Blake Wheeler will get strong looks.

Good points. I forgot about Lee. He's a given IMO. Also, good call on Weller and Wheeler. Weller actually had a very good year, although he didn't score much. He'll probably be a lock. Wheeler as well. I'll make a couple of changes.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
weller should not make the team, it was a joke he was on the team last year. speaking with guys that have played against him in college, they were also bewildered why he was on the team. if your gonna take a grinder type, which you need, you have to go with a guy like pat kaleta, or maybe a dan collins sort of player that also has skill, not a weller or mike brown.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
orangeandblack said:
weller should not make the team, it was a joke he was on the team last year. speaking with guys that have played against him in college, they were also bewildered why he was on the team. if your gonna take a grinder type, which you need, you have to go with a guy like pat kaleta, or maybe a dan collins sort of player that also has skill, not a weller or mike brown.

Maybe you're a little CHL biased??? Mike Brown was a great pick for last years team. He has awesome speed, strength and knows his role. I thought he was a good addition to that team. I wasn't as thrilled with Weller. I thought he played alright but I also thought the US coaches used him wrong (definately should not have been playing with Fritsche and Stafford) I wouldn't say he's a lock for this years team but the US team is so skilled up front they need big bodies that will play physical.

I haven't seen enough of Kaleta recently to comment but I'm sure he'll get a look. I don't see Collins making it this year because the US is SO deep with 87 forwards.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
Maybe you're a little CHL biased??? Mike Brown was a great pick for last years team. He has awesome speed, strength and knows his role. I thought he was a good addition to that team. I wasn't as thrilled with Weller. I thought he played alright but I also thought the US coaches used him wrong (definately should not have been playing with Fritsche and Stafford) I wouldn't say he's a lock for this years team but the US team is so skilled up front they need big bodies that will play physical.

I haven't seen enough of Kaleta recently to comment but I'm sure he'll get a look. I don't see Collins making it this year because the US is SO deep with 87 forwards.

I agree with you, although IMO Weller probably will be a lock. As a returnee, he'll get a long look. Collins probably will get a long look as well, especially since he had a good performance on the U.S. U18 championship winning team this year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
orangeandblack said:

Mike Brown was one of the better U.S. forwards IMO. He played his heart out and showed a surprising amount of skill. Weller was cast in the wrong role, and looked out of place. However, he has good size and strength, and has another year to refine his offense. I think he's almost a lock to return.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Looking at the defensive corps, I wonder if a guy like Joe Finley (from Edina High School in Minnesota, and slated to play for Sioux Falls in the USHL this year) will get some consideration? He's 6'7'' 235 lbs, a pretty good skater, and has a cannon for a shot.

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
i dont know much about finley, except hes huge and a ushl all star. i think there are probably better us 87 dmen tho. i would think guys like mitera, zach jones, joey ryan, sauer, chorney would get a longer look. im not chl biased, just think many chl players were overlooked last year. i feel last year the us was ncaa biased, they missed the boat on alot of guys from the west like ftizgerald and byfuglien, as well as lashoff, coleman, kaleta, etc.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
Looking at the defensive corps, I wonder if a guy like Joe Finley (from Edina High School in Minnesota, and slated to play for Sioux Falls in the USHL this year) will get some consideration? He's 6'7'' 235 lbs, a pretty good skater, and has a cannon for a shot.

I was thinking the same thing about Finley but I haven't seen him. I don't think he's committed to a school, is he?

I think Matt Niskanen probably has a better shot and maybe R.J. Anderson.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
I was thinking the same thing about Finley but I haven't seen him. I don't think he's committed to a school, is he?

I think Matt Niskanen probably has a better shot and maybe R.J. Anderson.

I think Boston University is going after him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
orangeandblack said:
i dont know much about finley, except hes huge and a ushl all star. i think there are probably better us 87 dmen tho. i would think guys like mitera, zach jones, joey ryan, sauer, chorney would get a longer look. im not chl biased, just think many chl players were overlooked last year. i feel last year the us was ncaa biased, they missed the boat on alot of guys from the west like ftizgerald and byfuglien, as well as lashoff, coleman, kaleta, etc.

I agree on the CHL, although the U.S. brass will probably continue to favor the NCAA as the primary league to draw players from. I'm hoping that changes a bit.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
orangeandblack said:

You make some good points and I was just giving you a hard time about the CHL. I agree, I think some major junior guys should have gotten more attention especially Lashoff and Fitzgerald. I thought both of those two should have made the team for sure. I think Lashoff is a lock this year.

As far as other US 87' defensemen, I don't think Mitera is ready yet. He could have a shot if he has a great camp and a solid first couple months of the season. I think Jones and Chorney also may have a good shot.

All in all, the defense is the hardest to pick. The US is loaded up front but once you get by the US top 4 d-men it's kind of a toss up. The biggest problem I had with last years team was they had 3 of basically the exact same defensemen, Hagemo, Hunwick and Likens (Likens had no business on that team) I hope this year they have a better mix of skating/offensive defensemen mixed with gritty, physical defensemen.

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Rabid Ranger said:

:eek: What year was he born in '87 or '88.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Habsfan 32 said:
Thanks. Man the guy is huge then. Where is he supposed to go in his draft year?

He's in the top 100 in McKeen's. Since I can't say the exact placement, I'd guess he could go as early as the third round, but could fall down to the fifth or sixth round.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:

Goaltenders:

Cory Schneider
Jeff Frazee

Defense:

Matt Lashoff
Jack Johnson
Mike Brennan
Mike Sauer
Nate Hagemo
A.J. Thelen
Brian Lee

Forwards:

Chris Bourque
Rob Schremp
Tom Fritsche
Bobby Ryan
Phil Kessel
Peter Mueller
Shawn Weller
Adam Pineault
Brandon Dubinsky
Jack Skille
Kevin Porter
Blake Wheeler

You still need to add 1 forward or 1 Dman. Teams usually go with 13 forwards.

It will be interesting to see how many 19 yr olds vs. 18 yr olds will be on Team USA? In past years they seem to have more than the usual number of 18 yr olds on the junior team, so in turn they always have guys returning the next year. I think it would help USA Hockey if they selected players that have more experience and are 19 yr olds to play in this tourney. This year could be different with the very talented '87 age group waiting in the wings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->