Waiver question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forty Six and Two

Aug 11, 2004
Long Island
This may be a stupid question but hear me out.

Example:
Team A puts player 1 on waivers. That player clears waivers and gets sent to the minors. Team A recalls player 1 and this time he get's claimed by team B. Now team A pays 1/2 of player 1's salary and Team B pays 1/2. Now lets say the same situation happens and player 1 is claimed by team C. Does team c pay 1/4 and team B pays 1/4? And what happens if there is a team D?

Just curious.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
carpen97 said:

Example:
Team A puts player 1 on waivers. That player clears waivers and gets sent to the minors. Team A recalls player 1 and this time he get's claimed by team B. Now team A pays 1/2 of player 1's salary and Team B pays 1/2. Now lets say the same situation happens and player 1 is claimed by team C. Does team c pay 1/4 and team B pays 1/4? And what happens if there is a team D?

Just curious.

Noone knows. Release the Damn CBA.

My guess is that in this scenerio, Team A is off the hook, and Team B and C split the salary and cap hit 50/50.

No One

Dec 1, 2003
Staples Center
Visit site
kdb209 said:
Noone knows. Release the Damn CBA.

My guess is that in this scenerio, Team A is off the hook, and Team B and C split the salary and cap hit 50/50.
is the new CBA even finished yet, or are the lawyers still going back and forth?

This monster is going to written in such legalese, it will be frightening (I Assume). I liked the last CBA, it was very accessible.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I've seen a few people say that if Team B claims the player, Team A is on the hook for 1/2 the cap hit - but if Team B then trades the player to Team C before the player's contract expires, then Team A is released and Team C takes on the full cap hit. But I've got *nothing* to cite as a source to say that this is in fact the case.

And I agree with kdb209 - release the damn CBA already.

st5801

Jan 31, 2005
carpen97 said:

Example:
That is what I would guess. It makes the most sense, in my opinion. But like everyone else, I'm just guessing.

1st claim: A- 1/2, B- 1/2
2nd claim: A- 1/2, B- 1/4, C- 1/4
3rd claim: A- 1/2, B- 1/4, C- 1/8, D- 1/8

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
LordStanley said:
That is what I would guess. It makes the most sense, in my opinion. But like everyone else, I'm just guessing.

1st claim: A- 1/2, B- 1/2
2nd claim: A- 1/2, B- 1/4, C- 1/4
3rd claim: A- 1/2, B- 1/4, C- 1/8, D- 1/8

I am pretty sure that kdb209 is correct.

Team A waives player.......then

Team A recalls player.......

Team B claims player on recall waivers and Team A and Team B split the cost & cap hit 50/50.

Team B then waives the player again. Once the player is sent down by Team B then Team A is off the hook (they couldn't be held responsible for a cap hit if the player is in the minors).

Team B recalls player and Team C claims player on recall waivers. Team B and Team C split the cost & cap hit 50/50

and so on .....and so on.....

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
boredmale said:
what is team C picks up the player when he gets sent down? :sarcasm:

You got me there. :)

Actually do not really foresee this ever happening. Why would you send a player back down when he is only costing you 1/2 of his salary/cap cost?

For example Team B picks up a player on "recall" waivers. His normal salary/cap hit is $450,000 so you are getting him for $225,000. Why would you send the player back down? If you don't like the way he plays then bench him. But if you put him on waivers again then you are probably going to to call somebody else up that costs you at least twice as much as the player you just put on waivers. What benefit would that be? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad