Waiting to play the other 25 teams

The old geezer

Feb 10, 2007
Due to an odd schedule that has featured almost exclusively inter divisional games the Wings are getting a bit itchy to see how they, along with the ‘competition’, will fare against the rest of the league.
With so many inter divisional games the standings are very misleading.

Early this year Columbus gave the team something to post on the locker room wall by projecting them to be the “Central division door Matts†and so far the only ones laughing are the Wings as the Central division standings look the same as usual (Blues, Wings, Jackets, Predators, and Blackhawks in that order) after 15 inter divisional games. Now Detroit is anxious to see how they will fare against the other 25 teams as it would be cruelly ironic if this rebuilding team were to find themselves drafting in the 20’s as usual (team is currently is tied for 8th in league win%) whereas a top 10 pick was more like what the team has been planning on.

With 3 of the next 4 games also against division rivals GM Niece may have to postpone a decision on the speculated trade of Kimmo Timonen while he gets a better read on if Detroit’s early season success is all smoke and mirrors or if this team has a legitimate chance to challenge for a post season spot.

Aside from raising a Spockien eyebrow at the Wings I’m sure many others are wondering if the Hurricanes and Avalanche are for real and are teams like the Ducks, Canucks, Panthers and Bruins really that bad? Likely not.

HFNHL Commish

Feb 28, 2002
I'd better be able to beat someone outside of my own division, or else I'm toast. Ryan Cleland apparently brought kryptonite to Phoenix along with his name change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad